Account registration is currently disabled. Please visit our IRC channel and query an administrator to create a new account. Sorry for the inconvenience.
Chen in Perfect Cherry Blossom
More Character Titles
Handling Black Magic (possessed as shikigami), Surprising People (as bakeneko)
|Show Music Themes|
|Show Official Game appearances|
|Show Print Work appearances|
Chen (橙) is Ran's shikigami, who was guarding the village of Mayohiga during the events of Perfect Cherry Blossom. Unfortunately, she could put up little resistance due to being far away from her master.
Later, she guards the path to Ran Yakumo, and is much more powerful due to her master's proximity.
She has two tails and is a bakeneko youkai. She is also Ran Yakumo's shikigami, but since Ran herself is a shikigami of Yukari Yakumo, she is a "shikigami of a shikigami" from Yukari's viewpoint.
Her height is "low."
Chen, as a bakeneko, acquires powers of a wrathful god while possessed, but since the one of whom she is a shikigami of, Ran, is also a shikigami, her ability is fairly low. This shikigami possession is removed when she is soaked in water, and since she also hates water as a cat, she is in any case weak to water.
She ordinarily lives in Youkai Mountain. In Bohemian Archive in Japanese Red, she made the village of cats and tried to stand as the leader, but the progress has been unfavorable.
Chen serves as a shikigami to Ran Yakumo, and becomes much stronger when her master is present. However, she hates water, and splashing her will dispel the shikigami possession, making her resort to physical attacks. She is also very fond of catnip, and will lose the will to fight if some is scattered to distract her.
Chen is capable of human speech and can use impressive black arts, but only possesses the intellect of a human child. Her attacks rely on speed and deceptive movement to confuse her opponent.
NameThe kanji in Chen's name, "橙", can be literally translated as the color "bitter orange" in the Japanese Language, or simply "orange" in Chinese. All of the Yakumo family are named after the names of color. Why Chen appears before Ran and Yukari comes from the fact that the orange light has physically lower energy than the indigo, Ran, and the violet, Yukari. The pronunciation of her name "Chen", is an obsolete Chinese reading of 橙. In Japanese, the character would be read as "tou" or "daidai"; in Mandarin, "chéng".
In her first appearance, Chen has dark brown eyes, brown hair and wears a green mob cap. She has black cat ears, with a gold earring in the left one, and two tails. Her dress is red with a white bow on the collar, with gold trimming and light pink frills at the bottom. The dress has light pink sleeves. She wears socks and has long hot pink fingernails.
- Perfect Cherry Blossom
Chen first appears in the second stage guarding the village of Mayohiga, but she is promptly defeated by the heroine. They meet and battle again in the extra stage.
- Bohemian Archive in Japanese Red
Aya investigates an abandoned village inhabited entirely by cats. When she arrives, she finds Chen and cat anarchy. Chen explains that she gathered the cats there in search of a servant to call her own.
By the time Aya returns for an interview, Chen still has not managed to establish a solid leadership role for herself. Aya tells her that she lacks power and that she should reflect on the nature of the relationship between her and her master Ran. She recommends using a mouse (which Chen objects to).
- She is one of the few Touhou characters in the Windows series to not have a last name (Others being Cirno and Kisume, for example).
- A famous meme regarding Chen is: Ran often yelling "CHEEEEEEEEEN" (ちぇえええええええん, the number of え/E is not determined but mostly more than seven) whenever Chen does something wrong or does something cute that attracts Ran. Derived by this, many fans comment "CHEEEEEEEEN" whenever a Chen-related event happens, mostly occurred on NicoNico Video (in fact, this reaction has become so popular that nowadays, it's considered as trolling outside and sometimes inside Nico). The origin of this meme comes from the line in the 2nd Touhou M-1 Grand Prix.
- Yet another meme featuring Chen known in the English community is "Honk Honk". A comic strip make by bkub, showing Chen riding a bicycle, stopping in the road because Suika Ibuki is laying there drunk, and Chen honking the bicycle horn.  This comic was translated to English and posted on 4chan. Soon, people began rearranging the panels to create new stories from it, editing panels, and the like.
- Rin, being the only known other cat character in the series, is sometimes depicted in fanart fighting with Chen.
- Due to her intellect and personality, Chen is often depicted as a child and about the size of one, with Ran being taller than her.
- She's also shown to have a cutesy personality often with her being a daughter figure to Ran.
- Because Chen doesn't have a surname while the other Yakumo family member have one, some fans adopt theories such as "because she's not a direct shikigami of Yukari" or "she hasn't yet fully grown to receive the name" to answer the reason of this case.
- ZUN's answer to a fan's inquiry in an e-mail. These e-mails have been published by the inquirer, and can be confirmed within "game_1522.lzh" in the 旧うpろだ観測 of the fansite "Coolier." The date of the file is 2 March 2004. (ZUNによれば、「game_1522.lzh」で説明されている登場人物に関して「身長は大体成長期の10代前半の少女達となります」とのことである。「高」は人間でいえば「10代後半以降程度の身長」、「低」は「10代前半の人間だとしたらかなり低い部類」となる。)
|This page is part of Project Characters, a Touhou Wiki project that aims to write proper descriptions for all official characters of Touhou Project.|