Account registration is currently disabled. Please visit our IRC channel and query an administrator to create a new account. Sorry for the inconvenience.
Cirno in Double Dealing Character
More Character Titles
|Age||Implied to be over 60|
|Location||Cold areas, Misty Lake near Scarlet Devil Mansion|
|Show Music Themes|
|Show Official Game appearances|
|Show Print Work appearances|
|Show Miscellaneous Work appearances|
Cirno (チルノ Chiruno) is an ice fairy who first appeared on the second stage of Embodiment of Scarlet Devil. As a fairy, she is exceptionally strong for her kind, matching the power of some weak youkai. However, compared to most of Gensokyo's residents, she's quite weak. Her personality is childish and she is sometimes considered stupid.
Cirno first appeared as the second boss of Embodiment of Scarlet Devil, then again as the first stage midboss of Perfect Cherry Blossom. She then again later appears as one of the many playable characters in Phantasmagoria of Flower View and again in Touhou Hisoutensoku.
Cirno has the ability to manipulate cold to the point of being able to freeze water. Even in summer, her surroundings will feel chilly. She is even able to create blocks of icicles and ice within an instant.
While her age is unknown, she is one of the only characters in Phantasmagoria of Flower View that realized what was going on had happened sixty years prior as well. This implies that she has been around for at least sixty years.
Cirno is a childish, confident fairy who appears to have a superiority complex in regards to others, seeing as she once said "I'm the strongest!". In the manual for Phantasmagoria of Flower View, she is labeled as "9. baka" (⑨. バカ, lit. "9. Idiot") in an explanation of the game screen's layout. She was again labeled as such in the manual for Touhou Hisoutensoku. This might simply shows that Cirno may be some kind of idiot. An example of Cirno showing her stupidity would be the spell card Ice Sign "Icicle Fall", which has a very obvious safespot to easily dodge the danmaku on Easy Difficulty.
Despite this, she is smart enough to know when she is in deep trouble, such as her battle against Yuuka in Phantasmagoria of Flower View's story mode. She can also read, unlike some of her peers, such as Mystia Lorelei. She can also count (she shows knowledge of rounding and fractions in Fairy Wars).
Among other things, she greatly enjoys using her abilities to freeze frogs, then watch it revive while thawing out in the water. However, about one in every three attempts fails, shattering the frog to pieces. This has earned her a warning from Reimu Hakurei, who cautioned that she could be set upon by Suwako Moriya for her actions.
Her design in Embodiment of Scarlet Devil, Perfect Cherry Blossom and Double Dealing Character shows that Cirno has aqua-colored eyes and hair. She wears a blue ribbon, light pink blouse, blue jumper dress and seems to be wearing white socks. She also has icicle-shaped wings. In Phantasmagoria of Flower View and Touhou Hisoutensoku's official art, her ribbon is green instead of blue and her sprite in Phantasmagoria of Flower View still keeps the blue ribbon. In Fairy Wars, her bow is once again blue. Her blouse has been changed to white and she seems to have bigger eyebrows (because she was drawn by Makoto Hirasaka).
Her alternative outfit in Phantasmagoria of Flower View is same as her normal outfit, except her bow is a darker shade of green, her blouse appears light purple, and her dress is purple as well.
- Embodiment of the Scarlet Devil
- Perfect Cherry Blossom
Cirno did not have any good reason to attack the heroine other than that they were there.
- Phantasmagoria of Flower View
In Phantasmagoria of Flower View, Cirno aimlessly wanders about, apparently unconcerned by the flower incident for any reason other than the flowers being something else for her to freeze and play with. Through her dialog, her true childish nature is revealed, leaving no doubt that she really isn't smart at all. She really wasn't meaning to do anything but play games.
- Shoot the Bullet
- Touhou Hisoutensoku
Cirno heads out, thinking that she's seen a daidarabotchi. She gets ready to leave when Sanae Kochiya asks her if she has seen a giant human-shaped object. Cirno denies seeing a daidarabotchi, which causes Sanae to be suspicious and fight Cirno. Later, Cirno passes by the Scarlet Devil Mansion when she overhears Hong Meiling mumbling about the Taisui Xingjun. Cirno becomes interested in finding the Taisui Xingjun, but focuses back on the daidarabotchi after beating Meiling. At the entrance of the Underground Geyser Center, Cirno meets Marisa Kirisame, who tells her that the daidarabotchi is inside the Underground Geyser Center (which was a complete lie). Once inside, Cirno is intercepted by Utsuho Reiuji. Utsuho attempts to eradicate the "foreign substance", but Cirno manages to escape being incinerated to death. After escaping, Cirno runs into Marisa, who tells her about a giant youkai in the Forest of Magic. Cirno then runs into Alice Margatroid. When Cirno tells her about a daidarabotchi, Alice realizes that Cirno is talking about her Goliath Doll, and lets Cirno fight with it.
- Fairy Wars
Cirno is the main character of Fairy Wars. After the Three Fairies of Light destroyed her home, she charges off for vengeance on them. After battling trough the various fairies, and two of the three fairies, she finally meets the Three Fairies of Light. Cirno is not afraid even though they are with three. Cirno eventually wins and they become friends.
- Double Dealing Character
Once again, Cirno did not have any good reason to attack the heroine other than that they were there.
- Bohemian Archive in Japanese Red
Bohemian Archive in Japanese Red writes about a certain incident where Cirno got eaten by a giant toad. When interviewed by Aya Shameimaru about it, she tries to convince her to spin the story a different way, and is turned down.
- Strange and Bright Nature Deity, Oriental Sacred Place
Three Fairies of Light
All of the Three Fairies of Light group (Sunny Milk, Luna Child and Star Sapphire) are both a friend and an enemy of Cirno. With Luna, she is later seen with Cirno in Wild and Horned Hermit watching Moriya Shrine's cold fusion experiment.
Daiyousei is first seen (presumably) associated with Cirno in Strange and Bright Nature Deity Chapter 13 when both of them were playing hide and seek. After meeting and talking with the Three Fairies of Light, Cirno appears to have completely forgotten about Daiyousei. She was later seen attacking Cirno in Fairy Wars.
- Letty Whiterock
Nothing is known about Cirno's relationship with Letty Whiterock. She appears to dislike being grouped up with her as she explains her superiority when interviewed by Aya Shameimaru in Bohemian Archive in Japanese Red. She is also briefly seen talking to Letty during Silent Sinner in Blue.
- Rumia, Wriggle Nightbug and Mystia Lorelei
Rumia, along with Wriggle Nightbug and Mystia Lorelei, seem to get along and appear together to help during various events prepared by the Three Fairies of Light, although Rumia appears to be of no help. It is unknown whether they are friends or just happened to be in the same place at the same time (Twice).
- Reimu Hakurei
- Giant Toad
Cirno about to be eaten by a giant toad (from Bohemian Archive in Japanese Red
Cirno suggesting an "alternate take" on the article about the giant toad to Aya Shameimaru
Cirno attempting (and failing) to sell water-flavored shaved ice in Oriental Sacred Place
Cirno's sigil in Grimoire of Marisa
- In Phantasmagoria of Flower View, Cirno didn't really defeat Aya Shameimaru and Yuuka Kazami, as they still appeared unhurt after battle, implying that it was Cirno who ran away. Also, in Fairy Wars, even when she wins against Marisa Kirisame, it was a simple case of Marisa letting her guard down.
- Cirno appears as the silhouette on the jewel case of Touhou Hisoutensoku and Fairy Wars. She is not the final boss in either of them.
- She is the only character to appear as the silhouette for two games' jewel cases in the Windows games.
- A palette in Touhou Hisoutensoku resembles Alice Margatroid during the PC-98 era. Another palette resembles Reimu Hakurei's hairstyle.
Cirno is a quite popular character in the Touhou Project among fans. Due to becoming a meme, Cirno is now one of the most popular characters of Touhou. Many fans now portray her, jokingly or seriously, as a misunderstood child or even as an outright genius in disguise, or as a bumbling idiot who messes up what everyone else is doing. This is mainly due to fandom making references to her in non-related topics.
Due to the infamous manual screenshot, Cirno has been nicknamed "Nine-ball" or simply "⑨". Cirno is known for her childishness (stupidity), so the term "Cirno" is often used instead of "baka" (バカ, "fool") as a joke in the Japanese Touhou community. She is also sometimes associated with Nineball (or the Seraph variation) of Armored Core fame in various ways, such as a Cirno in its red/black colors for MUGEN. It is famed because it's a difficult boss in any game it appears in.
The date "09-09-09" (Wednesday September 9 2009 09:09:09, more specifically) has been named "Cirno Day" for obvious reasons. For some reason, numerous aspects of this day everything could be translated into or connected with nine. For example: September 9 is the 252nd day of the year and 2 + 5 + 2 = 9, you need 9 letters to type "Wednesday" or "September", and Japan's timezone is +9. Other names for this day include "The Strongest Day" and "⑨ Day".
- Team ⑨
In fan works, she is often seen with other lower-level, childish characters such as Daiyousei, Rumia, Mystia Lorelei, and Wriggle Nightbug. In the English community, this group is often known as "Team ⑨", and are usually led by Cirno herself. Without Daiyousei, the group is often called the "bakartet", a combination of "baka" and "quartet".
However, In the 東方三月精 series, Cirno is seen with this group (Excluding Daiyousei) during gatherings involving the Three Fairies of Light. (In canon, whether they know each other or just coincidentally end up within the same gathering is unknown.)
- I'm the strongest!
Cirno's catchphrase in doujin works, "I'm the strongest!" (最強だし！), comes from her dialogue in Phantasmagoria of Flower View, in which she announces this in her scenario, while being everyone else's stage one boss. She also says it when winning against herself in Phantasmagoria of Flower View and Touhou Hisoutensoku, in which case she says (あたいったら最強ね！, "when it comes to me, I am the strongest!)
In other fan works, she is shown with Letty Whiterock, who is considered as a close friend, guardian, or mentor. This is partly due to the fact that she appears as a midboss in Letty's stage in Perfect Cherry Blossom, and partly because they share similar abilities, the manipulation of cold temperature and ice.
However, Letty makes remark about a "certain fairy" in her interview that could be interpreted as somewhat derogatory towards Cirno or her abilities.
- Frog Freezer:Because Cirno enjoys freezing frogs, many fans consider Suwako Moriya to have a rivalry with Cirno because of Suwako having relations with frogs.
- Mai: Some fans have made connections with Mai due to their similar fairy-like appearances and their manipulation of ice. She even as a palette in Touhou Hisoutensoku that resembles Mai.
- Varieties: Other fan versions of Cirno are Achi Cirno (Fire Cirno), Ikazu Cirno (Lighning Cirno), Mizu Cirno (Water Cirno), Cirno-nee (adult version of Cirno), and Advent Cirno (parody of Cloud Strife).
- Cirno News Network: Ever since CNN featured the shadow art video Bad Apple!! together with its stop motion counterpart, it has been renamed "Cirno News Network" by some of the Touhou fans. This is because of one reporter's incorrect assessment of the stop-motion video as depicting how the CG shadow art video was made. 
- Sirkku: Cirno in Finland is known as "Sirkku", partly because it's a common Finnish female name and Finnish people having trouble pronouncing "Cirno", "Chiruno" or any other variation of her name.
- Homestuck web-comic series: One of the songs from the Homestuck web-comic series, Heir Conditioning, uses parts of Cirno's theme in its composition. Heir Conditioning is also composed in a very Touhou-esque style, including aspects such as elaborate piano parts and a trumpet probably meant to mimic the so-called "ZUNpet". Small traces of Utsuho Reiuji's theme can also be heard. The name of the piece is also a pun on "air conditioning".
- On Normal difficulty however, she does cover that weak spot pretty well, making attempts attempts to exploit that safespot sucidical.
- CNN. "CNN on Bad Apple!!". CNN. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXRsnT2_mVI.
- Alstroemeria Records (27 October 2009). "東方】Bad Apple!! ＰＶ【影絵】". あにら. http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm8628149.
- >"コマ撮り実験アニメ「6566/6566」【Bad Apple!! ＰＶ【影絵】アレンジ】". shige-ruuu. 28 October, 2010. http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm9519847.