- Welcome to Touhou Wiki!
- Account registration is currently disabled.
- Please visit our IRC channel and query an administrator to create a new account. Sorry for the inconvenience.
ɸɯɽandoːɽɯ̥ sɯ̥kaːɽetto (♫)
Frandle Scarlet, Frandre Scarlet, Frandoll Scarlet
Flandre Scarlet in Embodiment of Scarlet Devil
More Character Titles
Destroying absolutely anything
Approximately 495 Years
- 1 General Information
- 2 Character Design
- 3 Mystery and Theory
- 4 Flandre's Appearances
- 5 Relationships
- 6 Gallery
- 7 Spell Cards
- 8 Additional Information
- 9 Fandom
- 10 Official Profiles
- 11 Official Sources
- 12 References
Flandre first appeared as the Extra Stage boss of Embodiment of Scarlet Devil with the theme "U.N. Owen was Her?" as well as a target in the Extra Stage of Shoot the Bullet. She's been interviewed in Bohemian Archive in Japanese Red and has had an article in Perfect Memento in Strict Sense and The Grimoire of Marisa.
Flandre has lived for at least 495 years, but since she goes crazy a little (due to emotional instability), she has never been taken outside the bounds of the Scarlet Devil Mansion, or rarely leaves the building itself, and as she herself never tried going outside for the respect she has to her sister, she was raised knowing nothing about the outside world. However, she has shown a desire to go outside after witnessing the events of Embodiment of Scarlet Devil. Her initial attempt to do so was blocked by Patchouli Knowledge's rain summoning magic, but since then she has been shown outside the mansion when she was destroying a meteor.
Flandre is normally nice and quiet. Although she is usually docile, her insanity makes it difficult for others to understand her. She was described as "rather nuts". Her friendship toward humans is very low.
While it is obvious as a vampire, Flandre possesses superhuman capabilities just like Remilia Scarlet, such as enhanced physical strength, with the destructive power of oni and the nimbleness of tengu, as well as a vampire's bodily and regenerative ability. She can swing an oversized sword, thought not as quickly as she would like to. Since she doesn't know the proper way to attack humans, she is unable to go easy on them and blows them away without a trace.
- Destroying absolutely anything and everything
Flandre can destroy anything she wants, which is truly a frightening ability with no real weaknesses. By moving the "eye" of the object, where the tension is highest, and by attacking this eye, she is able to destroy the target. She is able to move the "eye" of. anything into the middle of her hand, then she pours her power into it or in other words, she crushes the "eye" and unconditionally destroys the target with just a squeeze. She states that everything has an "eye" and that she has those "eyes" in her hand. She destroyed a meteor with a single hand and without touching it, where Flandre stated that she "went squeeze and it went boom."
This usage of ability was never shown other than in Bohemian Archive in Japanese Red. Everything that is made for her to play with ends up broken, which may mean why she doesn't have many playmates, to which it's recommended to never meet with her.
- Cloning herself
Flandre is able to clone herself as seen in one of her spell cards, where she creates 3 clones that helps her in the battle. The clones attack as they like which could mean they're able to think independently to some grade. It's in the category "Slave Type" so they're under the command of the original Flandre.
In her hand, she possesses an object that looks like a crooked clock needle (sometimes thought to be a Lævateinn) – this is a prominent peculiarity associated with Flandre, in which the name is derived from her second spell card Taboo "Lævateinn". It shares its name with the sword (wand in some versions) of Loki, a Norse god known for causing mischief. This sword/wand is used by the fire giant Surt in Ragnarok (the Norse equivalent of the Apocalypse) to burn down the whole world, except for one safe heaven. Fitting that Flandre would be wielding a tool of such destructive might.
She also possesses unusually peculiar wings, an irregular shape unlike those of any living creature, youkai or ghost, or even to a vampire's typical bat-like wings (or even organic matter). Reimu even said, "I doubt she can fly with those wings". Concerning this statement, Hieda no Akyuu noted that there are plenty of those in Gensokyo who can fly without wings.
Her full name is Flandre Scarlet (フランドール・スカーレット). The name Flandre (best pronounced as 'Flan-drah') is a modern French term for Flanders, a region which makes out the northern part of Belgium. They speak Flemish, a variety of Dutch. In Dutch, it's pronounced as 'Vlaanderen'. Note that the pronunciation of her name in the Japanese goes more along the lines of "Flandoor" rather than "Flander" since her name in katakana was not フランドル which would have been the more relevant katakana for "Flandre", but rather with the vowel after the "d" extended. Also, note that there isn't actually any right or wrong of how to pronounce the names in non-Japanese languages. Technically, they're all unofficial as there's been no confirmation by ZUN.
"Scarlet" refers to the bright colour red with a slight of orange and is a variant of "Scarlett" as a surname. The middle dot (・) in the middle of her name is used in foreign names to show where the next word begins. In Embodiment of Scarlet Devil, she was called Imouto-sama (妹様, lit. "your [her] honor, little sister [of the mistress]") by Patchouli Knowledge.
In Embodiment of Scarlet Devil's official art, Flandre has red eyes and short blond hair, which is tied into a single ponytail on her left side. Wears a red dress and vest, with a pink shirt underneath and socks. Also wears a pink mob cap with a red ribbon attached. She carries a matching wand with her, which might be the mythical Lævateinn. Arranged from her back to the tip of her wings her 8 crystals which are presented in seven colours: light blue, blue, purple, pink, orange, yellow, light green and finally light blue again.
Her boss theme ("U.N. Owen was her?") and her second-to-last spell card (Secret Barrage "And Then Will There Be None?") are references to Agatha Christie's novel And Then There Were None. In the origin of this incident, the spouse of the person who sent out invitations had the initial "U.N.Owen". As "U.N.Owen" is "Unknown", i.e. an "unknown person", the characters in that story were killed by someone unknown.
That Flandre Scarlet herself does not know the meaning of killing humans or other youkai, so that in a sense she has a cruel (or, in some sense, an innocent) personality which can attributed to the fact she hasn't been in much contact with either one, and that she continues to be locked underground knowing pretty much nothing about the existence of the outside, and other things like this are thought to be the reasons there is a relation between Flandre and U.N.Owen, since ZUN stated that this relates to Flandre being unknown.
Mystery and Theory
Flandre Scarlet is a character that holds a few mysteries. These are theories among the fanbase about the Touhou Project that may or may not be true on most cases. This section will concerns a well-known mysteries in relation to Flandre Scarlet. These are to be noted to only use official material, and a caveat can be suggested to be conjectures on most parts.
It's been stated that Flandre has been locked up underground for 495 years, but the canonicity of this is not accurate since there has been no official statement concerning her environment. In the works that she showed up in though, the specifications and conversations she had with others do give many suggestions that this is so, which is why it is commonly thought to be canon. They are as following, which are mostly sources from the Embodiment of Scarlet Devil:
- "She isn't usually taken out of the mansion. She also doesn't try going out." (Embodiment of Scarlet Devil - おまけ.txt)
- She seemed to be going outside in the extra stage of Embodiment of Scarlet Devil and Patchouli was there to stop her.
- "I haven't gone out even once the past 495 years." (Embodiment of Scarlet Devil - extra stage Reimu route)
- "I've been resting in the basement. For about 495 years." (Embodiment of Scarlet Devil - extra stage Marisa route)
- "I've only ever seen humans in the form of a drink." (Embodiment of Scarlet Devil - extra stage Reimu route) - implying she has not seen Sakuya Izayoi, who certainly works in the entire mansion.
- In opening of the extra story of Embodiment of Scarlet Devil, her older sister Remilia Scarlet has forgotten about her existence.
Nonetheless, these are not declarations that she has been locked up, and therefore depending on interpretation, there can be big differences. Also, against these there are the following, which are mostly sources outside of Embodiment of Scarlet Devil:
- She at least wandered around the mansion from Embodiment of Scarlet Devil onwards.
- She even went to the garden (Bohemian Archive in Japanese Red). Combined with #1, it has been pointed out that this kind of adaption is too quick if she has always been locked up.
- Officially from Embodiment of Scarlet Devil onwards, Flandre's personality has not undergone a sudden change, and the depictions as in #1 and #2 have no basis in the conclusion that "Remilia and the others have freed her from a lock-up."
- "Perhaps she's locked away, but it's also rumoured she's a shut-in."
- An anonymous reports seeing her through the window during an outdoor event.
- Concerning #5 and #6 above, it can be said that to have "always having been in the basement" is quite weak as a basis for those.
- She's shown to be free in more recent works such as Forbidden Scrollery.
Due to differences in people's interpretations, there have been extensive debates about whether or not she was locked up, but for this case, given what has been stated above, there has been no direct proclamation concerning this, and since there is no definite information, both opinions are areas of speculation, and cannot be said to be official.
- Embodiment of Scarlet Devil
After the main events of the game, Flandre makes her way out of the Scarlet Devil Mansion's basement while Remilia is off at the Hakurei Shrine. With no other choice, Patchouli uses her magic to cause a rainstorm around the mansion so that she wouldn't be able to leave it. Soon enough, the player character makes their way to her.
When Reimu finds Flandre, she demands an explanation as to why her sister has been bothering her at the shrine. They decide to have a danmaku battle, and Reimu eventually emerges victorious. Flandre appears to calm down afterwards.
Marisa introduces herself as Reimu, but Flandre sees through the play - apparently she's aware of the magician's identity. After Marisa defeats her, they trade quotes from a certain book, adapted to fit their current situation.
- Bohemian Archive in Japanese Red
In April 2006, Aya Shameimaru reports on the strange explosion of a meteorite above Gensokyo. She learns that Flandre was the one who destroyed it, but becomes increasingly confused as Flandre explains she destroyed it by squeezing the eye of the meteorite in her hand. Even more perplexing information is given by Flandre's older sister, Remilia Scarlet. Apparently, it was planned that the meteorite was supposed to be aimed at the Scarlet Devil Mansion, and that Flandre would destroy it. Inexplicably, Aya ends the article with a report that spring has begun.
In her follow-up, Aya interviews Flandre about the explosion and Remilia's information. Flandre gives the same explanation for how she destroyed the meteorite, and, when questioned, says that her sister just acts like she knows what's happening. Remilia interrupts (for which Aya is thankful), and confirms that what Flandre said was true, insinuating that Aya just can't understand, while giving strange information about the meteorite's source.
- Inaba of the Moon and Inaba of the Earth
In Chapter 9 of Inaba of the Moon and Inaba of the Earth, Reisen Udongein Inaba and Tewi Inaba get lost in the Scarlet Devil Mansion and end up being chased by what looks to be the silhouette of Flandre. She chases the two down a corridor until Tewi and Reisen went through a door and got back to the party group, thus getting away from Flandre.
- Forbidden Scrollery
On chapter 3 of Forbidden Scrollery, one of Flandre's wings were seen poking out during Reimu Hakurei and Marisa Kirisame's search for the Enenra. On chapter 7, she was shown looking at the Tupai with Remilia Scarlet after it was captured.
Currently there have not been many portrayals of her relations other than to her older sister, but since it has been stated that "she has few friends even among the youkai of the Scarlet Devil Mansion, and spends most of her time in isolation", she probably does not have very favourable relations with other residents.
Residents of the Scarlet Devil Mansion
Remilia Scarlet is Flandre's older sister. Flandre is stated to respect her sister, and Remilia cares for Flandre as shown where she is considering getting her a good tutor in Imperishable Night, but it is unknown how often the two interact. Perfect Memento in Strict Sense states that it's rare (but not nonexistent) to see Flandre and Remilia together. The only times that they're depicted together is in their cameo in Forbidden Scrollery chapter 7 when they were looking at their pet Tupai and in Bohemian Archive in Japanese Red, which also shows that Remilia will at least allow Aya Shameimaru to interview Flandre in the first place.
The interview shows that although Flandre might respect her older sister, it's to the extent you'd expect a snarky child to. She is willing to outright state when she thinks Remilia is just spouting nonsense, at which point Remilia comes in with a comment that she shouldn't be talking about her older sister like that. Her treatment of her older sister became harsh, and she even called Remilia "that person" (あいつ aitsu)
Not much is known about Flandre's relationships with other residents as she spends most of her time in the basement. Patchouli is aware of Flandre's existence and the need to keep her confined to the mansion, as Remilia noted Patchouli was probably causing a rainstorm around the mansion to keep Flandre from getting out. Presumebly, Sakuya also serves Flandre along with Remilia, but it's not stated, implied, or depicted in any official work. Someone prepares Flandre's food, which are humans prepared in the shape of pastries and other pleasant things, but it is never stated to be Sakuya.
- Reimu Hakurei
Though the shrine maiden promises to come play with her every so often during their dialogue in Embodiment of Scarlet Devil, the two have not been seen together since then, so it is likely she just said that to get her to calm down.
- Marisa Kirisame
Her conversation with Marisa in Embodiment of Scarlet Devil leaves an impression that the two are quite friendly. However, Marisa commented, "Sometimes when I sneak into the Scarlet Devil Mansion, I run into the little sister. I had to slip by without drawin' her attention, but after goin' through all that to get into the place, I was hopin' I wouldn't run into her."
Cover of Embodiment of Scarlet Devil, featuring Flandre's silhouette
Flandre's sigil in The Grimoire of Marisa
Flandre in Inaba of the Moon and Inaba of the Earth
- A silhouette of Flandre occupies the front of Embodiment of Scarlet Devil's jewel case.
- Flandre is one of the few characters to not appear in the background during Hopeless Masquerade, which would relate to her lack of leaving the Scarlet Devil Mansion.
- Assuming her birth year by calculating backwards in the Gensokyo Timeline, she's supposed to be born around 1508 A.D. But the "canon-ness" of this assumption is unknown.
- The spell card reference ("And Then Will There Be None?") to an Agatha Christie novel is definite. It's more speculative but still worth noting that the science-fiction genre saw Philip K. Dick write a novel called "Counter-Clock World" in 1967 and Frederik Pohl write "The Gold at the Starbow's End" in 1972.
- On one end of the Lævateinn that Flandre is seen holding in Shoot the Bullet is very different compared to the Lævateinn that Flandre is seen holding in Embodiment of Scarlet Devil.
- She used the phrase "that means, you can't use a continue!" to Marisa Kirisame, which was breaking the fourth wall.
- In the Second Touhou Saimoe Tournament, the 8th game of the first round was a battle between Flandre and Suika Ibuki. Although the battle ended with Flan winning, this led to ZUN posting a rough drawing of Suika that hadn't been open to the public with a message saying "don't get defeated by a little sister that hasn't even reached the age of 500!".
- The "crystals" on her wings look somewhat similar to the crystals shown on Patchouli Knowledge's spell card, Fire Water Wood Metal Earth Sign "Philosopher's Stone".
- Strangely, if one uses a bomb against her in Embodiment of Scarlet Devil's Extra, she's shown to have normal wings in bat form.
Flandre has not made many appearances in the series, but maybe because of her personality and the way she looks and acts, she's become a very popular character. One reason would be because of her theme music ("U.N.Owen was her?"). It is particularly famous, and is often used in MAD videos, and for a time introduced many as "newcomers hoihoi" on Nico Nico to Touhou. Furthermore, the arrangement "最終鬼畜妹フランドール･S" ("Final Savage Sister, Flandre S.")  in the album Touhou Strike by COOL&CREATE seems to have been mistaken by many to have been the original music.
- Perfect Memento in Strict Sense: Flandre Scarlet
- Embodiment of Scarlet Devil: omake.txt
- Bohemian Archive in Japanese Red: Flandre's article.
- Grimoire of Marisa: Flandre Scarlet's spell cards
- Watch report of the Second Touhou Saimoe Tournament.
- ZUN's former blog "Touhou Shofu" 14
|This page is part of Project Characters, a Touhou Wiki project that aims to write proper descriptions for all official characters of Touhou Project. Please keep the character page guidelines in mind when contributing.|