- Welcome to Touhou Wiki!
- Account registration has been reopened! Register an account if you wish to edit.
Forest of Magic
Forest of Magic
The Forest of Magic, as seen in Scarlet Weather Rhapsody.
On one side of the Human Village, Unknown
|Show Official Game appereances|
|Show Print Work appereances|
The Forest of Magic (魔法の森 Mahou no Mori) is location name in Gensokyo that's a focal point for all things evil, ominous, and repulsive, located not far from the Human Village. It's the home to both Marisa Kirisame and Alice Margatroid.
Since Gensokyo isn't a huge place, if you say "forest" (森 Mori), it refers to the Forest of Magic. It's called the "Forest of Magic" because of the wide number of hallucinogenic mushrooms that grow here. Many magicians live in this forest for the sake of increasing their magical powers with these hallucinogenic mushrooms. The forest has areas of ground where the sun never shines, thus making them dark and damp for mushrooms to endlessly grow there.
It's a place whose true nature is clouded by strange rumours and weird happenstance. The forest's environment is extremely hazardous to both humans and youkai, as the typical kinds also find the place uncomfortable. The spores of monstrous mushrooms dance about in midair, and a normal human's health would worsen simply by breathing here. Once you look beyond the human-eating plants and inevitable, horrible misfortune that will surely befall all who even think of trespassing into the forest. However, if one could stand the noxious gases that the monstrous mushrooms emit, then it would be both a safe and secretive place to seclude oneself, a fairly nice place to live for people who don't like to be disturbed.
Geography & People
Marisa's and Alice's house are located somewhere within the forest near to each other. Near both their houses is the tree where the Three Fairies of Light used to live, but have now moved behing the Hakurei Shrine. Rounding out the main attractions is Kourindou, Rinnosuke Morichika's shop of odds and ends (including many objects from the outside world), which is found on the very border of the forest itself.
- Marisa Kirisame has her own home located in the in the forest that's of filled doom, storage, and generally odd things due to Marisa's mania for collecting things who may have hoarding disorder. Apparently her house doubles as the "Kirisame Magic Shop", which doesn't have many customers due to its location.
- It's unknown how Marisa got her home, but she tells Tenshi Hinanawi that her "house wasn't built for earthquakes", and says in her Scarlet Weather Rhapsody ending that if her house is destroyed, she can always build a new one. There doesn't seem to be anything particularly special about her house, and she was probably around when it was originally built. At the time of Curiosities of Lotus Asia Chapter 7, it was still new enough that Marisa referred to it as "my new house", at least in comparison to living with her parents.
- Alice Margatroid also has her own home located in the in the forest filled with dolls. It's a white European-style building that's small in size. It's unknown how she got her home. If to connect with PC-98 canon, she lived in Makai before moving here.
- Kourindou is an antique store seated between the Human Village and the forest, run by Rinnosuke Morichika.
The former radio tower, Fairy Shrine in Oriental Sacred Place.
Marisa's house in Strange and Bright Nature Deity.
Books and Articles