- Welcome to Touhou Wiki!
- Account registration has been reopened! Register an account if you wish to edit.
çimekaidoː hatate (♫)
Hatate in Double Spoiler
More Character Titles
Hatate Himekaidou (姫海棠 はたて Himekaidou Hatate) is a tengu reporter who produces the Kakashi Spirit News. Unlike her colleague Aya Shameimaru, she never goes outside for her newspaper research. Instead, she uses her ability called thoughtography (念写 nensha). After reading Aya's Bunbunmaru Newspaper, she decided to observe Aya's way of gathering for her articles. She first appeared in Double Spoiler had has only appeared in spin-offs games.
Her full name is Hatate Himekaidou (姫海棠 はたて). The kanji for 姫海棠 (Himekaidou) mean "princess", "sea/beach" and "crabapple tree" respectively. Himekaidou itself is a kind of toringo crabapple. Hime kaidou also refers to a side-road, often taken by women or travelers who wanted to avoid thieves.
Hatate is shown to have brown eyes, and long brown hair in pigtails with purple ribbons. She wears a pinkish shirt with purple trim on the collar and a thin black tie, a black band around one arm, a purple tokin, a skirt in black/purple checker pattern with a floral pattern on the purple, a small brown pouch on her hip, thigh-high black socks (which are rolled down just below her knees), and pale purple-ish red geta sandals with purple straps. She carries a camera, looking like a modern cell phone, with a yellow/dark yellow checker pattern, a heart on it, and a brush hanging from it like a charm.
Hatate's clothes have a lot of purple color. Purple color symbolizes "mystic" or "royalty". "Mystic" might be associated with her spiritual powers. "Royalty" might refer to Himekaidou - princess. It may be also a reference to the deadly sin, "pride".
- Double Spoiler
In Double Spoiler, Hatate appeared as a Spoiler stage target (after the Extra stage), who confronts Aya, and has a picture-taking showdown with her, all the while debating the pros of her journalistic style and the cons of Aya's journalistic style, forcing Aya to take photos of her spell cards. Hatate has a unique way of danmaku, and that is taking her own photo's of Aya's hit box. If defeated, Hatate becomes the second playable character, having to re-visit all the cast characters and take photos of their spell cards Aya has already covered, hence the word "Double" in the game's title. The gameplay with Hatate is extremely similar to Aya's, with minor differences.
- Hopeless Masquerade
Hatate made a background cameo appearance in Hopeless Masquerade on the Myouren Temple and Genbu Ravine stage. She is seen standing on top of the temple in the former and on a pipe in the latter, taking photographs with her thoughtography camera.
- Impossible Spell Card
In Impossible Spell Card, Hatate (been one of the tengu mentioned by Mamizou Futatsuiwa) takes notice of minorities trying to capture the mischief-making amanojaku Seija Kijin, who also appears to be one of the many youkai that tries to capture her on day 6. She uses spell cards that are considered impossible to dodge. She apparently writes up an article about this, which makes stronger humans and youkai try to capture Seija.
- Wild and Horned Hermit
As of Double Spoiler, Hatate regards Aya as a rival newspaper writer and competitor.
Hatate's chief is Tenma.
Cover of Double Spoiler, featuring Hatate's silhouette
Hatate's appearance in Wild and Horned Hermit
- A silhouette of Hatate occupies the front of Double Spoiler's jewel case.
- Her thoughtography camera closely resembles a cell phone of some sort. It was apparently made by the kappa. It is possible that the kappa reverse-engineered something left behind by someone who was spirited away to Gensokyo.
- Fans often joke that Hatate uses Google Image Search to get all her pictures instead of going outside like Aya Shameimaru does. Even ZUN himself has referred to Hatate's ability as working like Google, in his Symposium of Post-mysticism interview.
- Hatate's purple clothing and thoughtography ability seem to all point to Joseph Joestar of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, specifically his part 3 incarnation where he has the stand "Hermit Purple", which can project images of any target in the world onto paper by smashing a camera with it. Aya used to be pictured a lot with Joseph too.
- Because of the purple colors she wears, an artist on Pixiv has created and popularized an emo version of Hatate called "hata-tan" (はたたん), who is usually seen with black hair, scars, and bags under the eyes.
- There's a rather notable catchphrase that western fans have created called "Hataters gonna Hatate", a word play on "Haters Gonna Hate". 
- In the Japanese fanbase, she has been associated with scallops (ほたて hotate), due to the similarity with her name (はたて).
- Hatate's chequered skirt is identical to the "missing texture" pattern in Half-Life 2 and other Source-based games, which has lead to jokes among fans. This has also been loosely compared to graphical editors such as Adobe Photoshop, which uses the chequered pattern show the transparency within an image.
- "Haters gonna hate". http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/haters-gonna-hate.
|This page is part of Project Characters, a Touhou Wiki project that aims to write proper descriptions for all official characters of Touhou Project. Please keep the character page guidelines in mind when contributing.|