Account registration is currently disabled. Please visit our IRC channel and query an administrator to create a new account. Sorry for the inconvenience.
Hieda no Akyuu
Hieda no Akyuu
çieda no akʲɯː (♫)
Hieda no Akyu, Akyu Hieda, Akyuu Hieda
Akyuu on the cover of Akyu's Untouched Score vol.5
More Character Titles
|Abilities||Not forgetting things seen once|
10 (first appearance)
|Location||Human Village, Hieda house|
|Show Music Themes|
|Show Print Work appearances|
|Show Music CD appearances|
Hieda no Akyuu (稗田 阿求) is the current "Child of Miare" (御阿礼の子), who is born in the Hieda family once in every 120 to 180 years with the ability to "not forget anything she sees" and record Gensokyo's history. She seems to like red tea and FM Synthesis music.
Hieda is the ninth in a long chain of reincarnations of the "Child of Miare". Because of this, her memory goes back 1200 years despite her young age. Historically, the role of the Children of Miare has been to collect and compile information on the various youkai living in Gensokyo, as well as to compile historical articles, though Akyuu had been writing about certain humans, as well, to put into her Gensokyo Chronicle (the in-universe name for the Perfect Memento in Strict Sense fanbook).
Akyuu is physically only ten years old at the time Perfect Memento in Strict Sense was published, and doesn't have a very long lifespan, presumably because of the reincarnation process.
"Akyuu" is probably a pun on the Japanese word for 'nine' which is read as "kyuu" (since she is the ninth Child of Miare). Hieda means "millet field". The "Miare" in "Child of Miare" presumably refers to Hieda no Are (稗田阿礼), the oral historian credited with helping compile the Kojiki, Japan's first written historical record.
As seen in the Colophon of Perfect Memento in Strict Sense, the names of Akyuu's previous incarnations as Children of Miare (Aichi, Ani, Ami, Ayo, Ago, Amu, Anana and Aya) are all puns on numbers, with Are standing for zero (零, rei).
Akyuu has purple hair and purple eyes and she wears a light pink flower-shaped ornament in her hair which matches flowers on her sleeves. Her outfit resembles a "wa lolita" type or a Japanese-esque maid outfit. It has yellow flower-patterned sleeves, a green vest, and a shortened hakama skirt separated by a red, white laced obi.
In addition to being the one who actually wrote Perfect Memento in Strict Sense, Akyuu also appears in the side manga "Memorizable Gensokyo". Yukari Yakumo comes to visit, claiming to want to have a look at the upcoming "Gensokyo Chronicle" to make changes to it here and there. Later on, Reimu Hakurei and Marisa Kirisame stop by to see it as well.
In Chapter 1 and 2, Akyuu appears to be taking interest in the rare demon books that the Suzunaan has in stock. Later on, in Chapter 6, she aids the people of the Human Village by planting a trap for a supposed sake-drinking youkai.
Keine's article in Perfect Memento in Strict Sense states that Keine has a close relation with the Hieda family, and Keine uses their records for her lessons. It also reveals Akyuu is not a student at Keine's school. Keine's powers to erase and create history do not affect the Hieda Family's Gensokyo Chronicles. According to Inaba of the Moon and Inaba of the Earth, Akyuu and Keine are acquainted with each other as fellow scholars.
Akyuu and Yukari first 'met' in Memorizable Gensokyo. Yukari's mannerisms when she states it seems to imply she is only referring to the current incarnation of Akyuu, and that she's known Akyuu in her previous lives (possibly as early as Akyuu's first life as Aichi 1,200 years ago). Akyuu looks up to Yukari, referring to her as the "sage of the youkai" with a bit of awe and respect, and she eagerly allows Yukari to proofread and edit the latest edition of the Gensokyo Chronicle. However, Akyuu's written article on Yukari in Perfect Memento shows she's aware one can't always trust Yukari's word, and that Yukari's logic is not the same as a human's.
The Hakurei clan and Hieda clan appear to have some relations, as the Hakurei Shrine volunteered to hold a party in 1994 when Hieda no Akyuu was born in the Bunbunmaru newspaper article of her birth. It is unknown if Reimu was present at or born before this time (the earliest known year in Touhou that Reimu's been depicted was 2001 or 2002 in Curiosities of Lotus Asia Chapter 22, but Reimu's age at that time is not stated). Reimu's dialogue in Memorizable Gensokyo shows that she's been to the Hieda Residence before and is familiar with it, but has not met Akyuu in person prior to the events of that story.
Due to sharing the interest about books, they look to be friends in the first chapter of Forbidden Scrollery, where Akyuu frequents Suzunaan to borrow books. How deep their relationship is is unknown, but despite the fact that Akyuu is seen to use honorific language towards almost everyone, she speaks in a very casual and outspoken way toward Kosuzu.
Akyuu in Memorizable Gensokyo
- Aya's newspaper article on Akyuu's birth states, "With her, there are now nine generations of the Children of Miare (Girl of Are, Boy of Are)." It thus appears that one or more of Akyuu's previous incarnations were male.
- Akyuu states in a footnote to the Bunbunmaru newspaper article of her birth that the only memories left from the past generations are those related to the Gensokyo Chronicles, and she states in her monologue that the memories from ancient times are very unclear. She does, however, retain even some memories of her ancestor Are (who was the first to have the power of Gumonji, the power to remember anything you've seen, who came before Aichi did).
- Memorizable Gensokyo and Forbidden Scrollery show that Akyuu has several female human servants and a pet cat.
- Hieda no Aichi first started writing the Gensokyo Chronicles at age 18.
- A footnote in Symposium of Post-mysticism reveals that Akyuu is fond of Choujuu Gigaku's music, implying that she's attended at least one of their concerts.
- She has a vague resemblance to the stage 4 midboss of Lotus Land Story.
- A common nickname for Akyuu is 「あっきゅん」 or "Akkyun" similar to "Yukarin" for "Yukari." However, its resemblance to the "dokyun" of "DQN", which means "trolling and/or being stupid" (due to a popular TV game show in Japan), has led many to joke that it is "AQN".
- This may reference Akyuu's slight tendency to troll people via her descriptions of them in the Gensokyo Chronicle. An example would be what she writes about Marisa at the end of the "Memorizable Gensokyo" comic
- Although it's considered preposterous in academic terms, there is a theory that Hieda no Are (Akyuu's ancestor and previous incarnation) was the same person as Fujiwara no Fuhito (Fujiwara no Mokou's father). Hence some fanworks will pair Akyuu with Mokou.
- She has a tendency for being shown as physically mature for her age, though fanart is moving on to an older rendition as seen in Forbidden Scrollery.
|This page is part of Project Characters, a Touhou Wiki project that aims to write proper descriptions for all official characters of Touhou Project.|