Account registration is currently disabled. Please visit our IRC channel and query an administrator to create a new account. Sorry for the inconvenience.
kaɡʲijama çina (♫)
Hina Kagiyama in Mountain of Faith
More Character Titles
|Occupation||Chasing away lost humans, gathering the misfortune of humans|
|Location||The Great Youkai Forest, near a river|
|Show Music Themes|
|Show Official Game appearances|
|Show Print Work appearances|
Hina Kagiyama (鍵山 雛 Kagiyama Hina) is a misfortune goddess and the leader of the Nagashi-bina doll army. Her job is to gather the misfortune of humans, as well as scare off lost humans who get too near to the Youkai Mountain. She first appeared as a stage 2 boss in Mountain of Faith, but had no relation to the story of the game.
Hina is a misfortune goddess, but as she is essentially only a "goddess" in name, she doesn't collect faith or have any shrines dedicated to her.
Hina's personality is unclear, but according to those who have come in contact with her, she appears to be friendly and sociable.
- Stockpiling misfortune
Hina possesses the ability to store misfortune inside herself. This then causes misfortune to humans and youkai that come near her. She holds no ill will towards humans, however, and amasses misfortune merely as a way of preventing it from befalling others. The negative energy of misfortune is what gives Hina her power. As one that stores the misfortune, it can be said that from a certain point of view, she also possesses good fortune.
In order to amass this misfortune, she collects the Nagashi-bina dolls that human use to put their own misfortune in and float downstream.
In addition to scaring off humans from the Youkai Mountain and amassing fortune, she has apparently begun selling the Nagashi-bina dolls that she collects as a form of recycling. However, as it is generally a taboo to pay any attention to a misfortune god, her stand is probably ignored.
Hina is a misfortune goddess (厄神 yakujin). By utilizing the Japanese ritual nagashi-bina (流し雛) - a custom which people transfer their impurity (穢れ kegare) and misfortune (厄 yaku) on to a hina doll (雛人形 hina ningyou) and then putting it into a river to be carried away - she collects the misfortune by gathering the hina dolls at the downstream.
Her name is Hina Kagiyama (鍵山雛). The characters for Kagiyama (鍵山) literally mean "key mountain". Hina (雛) usually means "(bird) chick", but in her case, it's highly likely that it came from the event of nagashi-bina (流し雛).
In Mountain of Faith's official art, Hina has aquamarine hair and eyes. Her hair is decorated with red bows and white frills. Part of her hair is tied under her chin with a bow as a sort front ponytail. She wears a red dress which is darker around her middle and lighter on the bottom. The dress also has white frills on the bottom and an enormous white kerchief on top. The bottom of her dress is decorated with a similar aquamarine swirl resembling the "厄" (misfortune) kanji at the bottom. As footwear she has knee-length black cross-laced boots similar to Alice Margatroid's.
- Mountain of Faith
Hina tries to chase Reimu away during the midboss fight, as she explains that it's her job to chase away lost humans. But Reimu claims she isn't lost and just want to go to the Youkai Mountain and then starts to fight as she thinks Hina is a youkai. Hina once again tries to stop Reimu, but fails.
Marisa says it takes so long to enter the mountain that she could "recite all the digits of pi" before she gets there. Hina then enters and is wondering what Marisa is talking about. Hina does not want Marisa, or any other human, to enter the mountain as it could be dangerous. Hina is trying to protect them from the mountain, but Marisa wants to enter the mountain anyway and starts fighting with Hina.
- Hina spinning may be a reference to her ability to store up curses. This is because the kanji for curse (厄) looks somewhat like a swirl, just like the one on her dress.
- An alternate color palette of Patchouli Knowledge in Touhou Hisoutensoku resembles Hina.
- The same goes for one of the color palettes of Suwako.
- Hina got a small reference in Sanae's part of the Ten Desires prologue. 
- Hina's relationship to curses is referenced during her Spell Cards, where a purple-blue-ish fog can be seen swarming around her.
- Hina's unusual spinning during battle has been included in many fan works, which may have her spinning all the time, as a ritual for gathering misfortune, or simply because she enjoys it.
- This has resulted to comparisons between her and Wallachia from Melty Blood, due to Wallachia spinning a lot and screaming "Reverse the birth, reverse death, reverse the world and SPIN SPIN SPIN!" Spin Hina. Spin.
- Some (mostly humorous) depictions show her as addicted to or even aroused by misfortune.
- While she does not have any canon relationships, she is almost exclusively paired with Nitori due to their proximity (both live on Youkai Mountain and are consecutive stage bosses) and their similar circumstances as friendly but isolated youkai. Her ability has also led to pairings with unfortunate characters such as Parsee.
- Symposium of Post-mysticism: Hina Kagiyama's article.
- Ten Desires: Prologue - "For example, prayers for a great harvest, or protection from misfortune..."
|This page is part of Project Characters, a Touhou Wiki project that aims to write proper descriptions for all official characters of Touhou Project.|