- Welcome to Touhou Wiki!
- Account registration has been reopened! Register an account if you wish to edit.
kaɡʲijama çina (♫)
Hina Kagiyama in Mountain of Faith
More Character Titles
Chasing away lost humans, gathering the misfortune of humans
The Great Youkai Forest, near a river
Hina Kagiyama (鍵山 雛 Kagiyama Hina) is a misfortune goddess and the leader of the Nagashi-bina doll army. Her job is to gather the misfortune of humans, as well as scare off lost humans who get too near to the Youkai Mountain at the Great Youkai Forest.
Hina first appeared as the Stage 2 boss in Mountain of Faith, but had no relation to the story of the game. She was later a target on stage 2 of Double Spoiler and was in the background of Hopeless Masquerade.
Hina is a misfortune goddess, but as she is essentially only a "goddess" in name, she doesn't collect faith or have any shrines dedicated to her.
Hina's personality is unclear, but according to those who have come in contact with her, she appears to be friendly and sociable.
- Stockpiling misfortune
Hina possesses the ability to store and manage misfortune inside herself. By people's exorcism, she collects misfortune, and is able to stockpile it in her surroundings. Misfortune in her surroundings possesses power to make any kind of human or youkai misfortune, in which causes misfortune to humans and youkai that come near her. However, this does not mean she stockpiles the misfortune in herself, and since it is always in the "surroundings" that she stockpiles the misfortune, she definitely does not become misfortune herself.
The misfortune that she takes up from humans is given over to other gods. She holds no ill will towards humans, however, and amasses misfortune merely as a way of preventing it from befalling others. The negative energy of misfortune is what gives Hina her power. As one that stores the misfortune, it can be said that from a certain point of view, she also possesses good fortune.
In order to amass this misfortune, she collects the Nagashi-bina dolls that human use to put their own misfortune in and float downstream. Perhaps as a performance of her stockpiling of misfortune in danmaku, her spinning may be a reference to her ability to store up curses. This is because the kanji for "curse" (厄 yaku) looks somewhat like a swirl, just like the one on her dress. It can be seen that something like misfortune flies in Hina's surroundings, developing into danmaku as a spiral. It seems like she throws them as bullets in the form of amulets. Additionally, a purple-blue-ish fog can be seen swarming around her when she casts a spell card.
In addition to scaring off humans from the Youkai Mountain and amassing fortune, she has apparently begun selling the Nagashi-bina dolls that she collects as a form of recycling. However, as it is generally a taboo to pay any attention to a misfortune god, her stand is probably ignored.
Hina is a misfortune goddess (厄神 yakujin). By utilizing the Japanese ritual nagashi-bina (流し雛) – a custom which people transfer their impurity (穢れ kegare) and misfortune (厄 yaku) on to a hina doll (雛人形 hina ningyou) and then putting it into a river to be carried away – she collects the misfortune by gathering the hina dolls at the downstream.
Her name is Hina Kagiyama (鍵山雛). The characters for Kagiyama (鍵山) literally mean "key mountain". Hina (雛) usually means "(bird) chick", but in her case, it's highly likely that it came from the event of nagashi-bina (流し雛).
In Mountain of Faith's official art, Hina has aquamarine hair and eyes. Her hair is decorated with red bows and white frills. Part of her hair is tied under her chin with a bow as a sort front ponytail. She wears a red dress which is darker around her middle and lighter on the bottom. The dress also has white frills on the bottom and an enormous white kerchief on top. The bottom of her dress is decorated with a similar aquamarine swirl resembling the "厄" (misfortune) kanji at the bottom. As footwear she has knee-length black cross-laced boots similar to Alice Margatroid's.
- Mountain of Faith
Hina tries to chase Reimu away during the midboss fight, as she explains that it's her job to chase away lost humans. But Reimu claims she isn't lost and just want to go to the Youkai Mountain and then starts to fight as she thinks Hina is a youkai. Hina once again tries to stop Reimu, but fails.
Marisa says it takes so long to enter the mountain that she could "recite all the digits of pi" before she gets there. Hina then enters and is wondering what Marisa is talking about. Hina does not want Marisa, or any other human, to enter the mountain as it could be dangerous. Hina is trying to protect them from the mountain, but Marisa wants to enter the mountain anyway and starts fighting with Hina.
Hina's sigil as seen in The Grimoire of Marisa.
- An alternate color palette of Patchouli Knowledge in Touhou Hisoutensoku resembles Hina.
- The same goes for one of the color palettes of Suwako Moriya.
- Hina got a small reference in Sanae Kochiya's part of the Ten Desires prologue. 
- Hina's unusual spinning during battle has been included in many fan works, which may have her spinning constantly all the time, as a ritual for gathering misfortune, or simply because she enjoys it.
- This has resulted to comparisons between her and Wallachia from Melty Blood, due to Wallachia spinning a lot and screaming "Reverse the birth, reverse death, reverse the world and SPIN SPIN SPIN!" Spin Hina. Spin.
- Some (mostly humorous) depictions show her as addicted to or even aroused by misfortune.
- While she does not have any canon relationships, she is almost exclusively paired with Nitori Kawashiro due to their proximity (both live on the Youkai Mountain and are consecutive stage bosses) and their similar circumstances as friendly but isolated youkai. Her ability has also led to pairings with unfortunate characters such as Parsee Mizuhashi.
- There's a recurring meme associating Hina with a gothic theme.
- Symposium of Post-mysticism: Hina Kagiyama's article.
- Ten Desires: Prologue - "For example, prayers for a great harvest, or protection from misfortune..."
|This page is part of Project Characters, a Touhou Wiki project that aims to write proper descriptions for all official characters of Touhou Project. Please keep the character page guidelines in mind when contributing.|