- Welcome to Touhou Wiki!
- Account registration is currently disabled.
- Please visit our IRC channel and query an administrator to create a new account. Sorry for the inconvenience.
The Human Village, as seen in Perfect Memento in Strict Sense.
On one side of the Forest of Magic, Unknown
|Show Official Game appereances|
The Human Village (人間の里 Ningen no Sato) is where most of Gensokyo's humans live. Even though some youkai also visit here to shop, this is the safest place in all of Gensokyo to live. Humans from the outside world that stumble into Gensokyo and decide to stay often have no choice but to live here as they would be unable to handle the youkai outside the village. The village itself has a powerful protector in Keine Kamishirasawa, who is capable of "hiding" the history of the village's existence for its protection.
Geography and People
Among the people living at the village are Keine Kamishirasawa and Hieda no Akyuu. The village has an as of yet unnamed leader, a florist, a woodcutter, a teahouse, a tofu shop, youkai exterminators, and more. There's also the Kirisame-ya second-hand shop here which is owned by Marisa's father. Some stores stay open late into the night to cater exclusively to youkai. The village also has a darker side in the form of the Secret History Association.
Both humans and youkai alike from outside the village visits the village. Most of the furniture in the Scarlet Devil Mansion was made by humans in this village, and Sakuya Izayoi comes to shop often. Yuuka Kazami has come to shop at the flower shop on at least one occasion. Ran Yakumo is a frequent customer of the village tofu shop, and also checks up on the village occasionally for her master Yukari Yakumo. Reisen Udongein Inaba travels to the village to sell medicine, though she is forced to hide her identity as a youkai. It is said that Medicine Melancholy once tried to spread poison across the village. Mamizou Futatsuiwa is known to visit the village regularly in human disguise. A number of households possess resident zashiki-warashi, who secretly act as spies for the youkai.
Some notable locations within the Human Village:
- A statue of the Dragon God serves as one of the village's more notable landmarks. Built by kappa, its eyes can predict the weather by changing colour, and are said to turn red before an incident.
- Hieda no Akyuu lives here, recording everything that she has seen in her life. Her family appears to be one of the wealthiest in the village, with several house-servants and a sizable vegetable garden.
- An abandoned building at the edge of the village was once used by the kappa for storage while their normal warehouse was frozen over.
Kirisame-ya Second-Hand Shop
- Marisa's father is the owner of this shop. Rinnosuke Morichika was his former apprentice here, but nothing much is known here beyond that it does not deal in magic items.
- There is a terakoya somewhere in the village, where Keine works as a history teacher. Planning for its construction began in the 117th season. Known students include the village chief's son, the florist's daughter, and a disguised kitsune.
- The book renting shop where Kosuzu Motoori works.
The Human Village's Appearances
- Highly Responsive to Prayers
The Human Village was first referenced in the PC-98 game Highly Responsive to Prayers, where youkai and demons were after the village to destroy it. In the game, it had the kanji "人里" (Hitozato) and was set in the Eastern Country. There hasn't been any evidence however that the Human Village in the PC-98 and Windows era are the same location.
- Imperishable Night
After many years since it was first mentioned, the Human Village became the setting for stage 3 of Imperishable Night. Fearing that youkai would take advantage of the endless night to launch an attack, Keine Kamishirasawa hid away the village's history, disguising it as a patch of uninhabited wilderness.
- Hopeless Masquerade
The events of Hopeless Masquerade are started off by Hata no Kokoro losing control of her component masks, causing her to leech emotions from the Human Village. In response Gensokyo's religious leaders set out to restore the villagers' hope through spirituality and exciting battles. Two playable stages are set in the village - a daytime stage featuring a variety of human and youkai spectators, and a night stage used for the final battle against Kokoro.
- A small Inari shrine exists in the village, which the Unnamed Evil Dragon claims to have constructed long ago.
- Youki Konpaku has often been depicted to live here.
- 東方求聞史紀 ～ Perfect Memento in Strict Sense Eyewitness reports: Keine Kamishirasawa, Luna Child, Ran Yakumo, Human village
- Perfect Memento in Strict Sense: Human Village "many stores are kept open late at night, but that is when they are for the exclusive use of youkai"
- Forbidden Scrollery chapter 21
- Memorizable Gensokyo
- Forbidden Scrollery chapter 13
- Forbidden Scrollery chapters 14-15
- Perfect Memento in Strict Sense: Marisa Kirisame "As this is a private matter the details are unclear, but it may be related to the fact that the Kirisame family doesn't deal in magical items."
- Bohemian Archive in Japanese Red: Keine The 117th Season, Nagatsuki 2. "If dangerous ideas are formed from this society because the humans have not passed on their history to their descendants, she said she has considered opening a history school."
- Forbidden Scrollery chapters 18-19
- Forbidden Scrollery chapters 8-9
Books and Articles