- Welcome to Touhou Wiki!
- Account registration has been reopened! Register an account if you wish to edit.
Sprite of Koakuma in Embodiment of Scarlet Devil
Library of Scarlet Devil Mansion
Koakuma (小悪魔) is a devil where she's seen around the library of Scarlet Devil Mansion where she apparently lives in the mansion. Her exact role is difficult to tell, but she is believed to be an assistant in Patchouli Knowledge's library. She was the fourth stage midboss of Embodiment of Scarlet Devil and little is known about her, and unless she makes another appearance, she remains a mystery.
In the cameo of Inaba of the Moon and Inaba of the Earth, she's seen cooking and flipping Okonomiyaki at a beach stand that's also selling ramen and Yakisoba in the middle of what appears to be rows of books in a library. Tying into Silent Sinner in Blue, the location of this stand was the swimming pool at Patchouli's library (Remilia's "Indoor Sea"). On Strange and Bright Nature Deity Chapter 14, she appears to be serving Patchouli in the library.
NameKoakuma has no official name; this was confirmed by ZUN very early on. The commonly used name in the fanbase is Koakuma (小悪魔), meaning "Little Devil" or "Imp". ZUN used this term in an answer of the response to the question from the fans, while again stating at the same time that she was unnamed, though he did have rough sketches for a face sprite as well as plans to give her spell cards.
The sprite of Koakuma in Embodiment of Scarlet Devil shows that she wears a black dress with white sleeves. She has a small pair of black, bat-like wings on the sides of her head and long red hair.
In a cameo appearance in Inaba of the Moon and Inaba of the Earth Chapter 23, she's depicted with two pairs of black wings, one on her head and one on her back. In Strange and Bright Nature Deity Chapter 14, she once again has black wings on both her head and her back. She also has short hair rather than long.
- Embodiment of Scarlet Devil
She seems to be Patchouli Knowledge's assistant.
- In one of Embodiment of Scarlet Devil's sprite sheets, it shows Koakuma had an appearance in the Extra Stage sprites. It's just because the same image was taken from the stage 4 sprites, with a color overlay on the whole image.
- In many fan-fictions, she's regarded as a familiar of Patchouli. In those fictions, she works as a librarian and a personal servant of Patchouli. Some of those fictions also portray Koakuma as originating from Makai.
- In many fictions, she's described to be very obedient, steady and good-natured, on the contrary to ZUN's official profile. This personality is acknowledged before ZUN replied to the question, and it's one of exceptional example of a fan-made profile which is accepted by a large majority (but not all fans).
- After ZUN's reply, some people described more impish and mischievous Little Devil in their fan-fictions. Today, various Little Devils exist in fan-fictions: Obedient and steady, impish and mischievous, or hybrid of them.
- Koakuma is sometimes drawn by fans having a pair of black, bat-like wings on her back to match the ones on the sides of her head.
- Fans commonly portray Patchouli as having multiple "Koakumas" assisting her, just as the Scarlet Devil Mansion has numerous Fairy Maids. A common one is the differences between her Strange and Bright Nature Deity and her Embodiment of Scarlet Devil where she's shown to be two completely different people, one with short hair and other with long. Super Marisa World makes a good example of this.
- Some fanart either imply she's a sort of succubus or just give her a sexy figure due to the "devil" part and headwings.
- Despite only making an appearance in one game, she's still seen in most fan arts along with the rest of the Scarlet Devil Mansion Residents.
|This page is part of Project Characters, a Touhou Wiki project that aims to write proper descriptions for all official characters of Touhou Project. Please keep the character page guidelines in mind when contributing.|