Account registration is currently disabled. Please visit our IRC channel and query an administrator to create a new account. Sorry for the inconvenience.
Komachi Onozuka in Scarlet Weather Rhapsody
More Character Titles
|Abilities||Manipulation of distance|
|Occupation||Carries dead spirits to the yama (Eiki Shiki, Yamaxanadu)|
|Show Music Themes|
|Show Official Game appearances|
|Show Print Work appearances|
Komachi Onozuka (小野塚 小町 Onozuka Komachi) is widely known in Gensokyo for being a slacker shinigami and a slow worker. Her conversation topics often revolve around death, suicide, the afterlife, and other related things, but considering the nature of her job, this is not unusual. In general, she's a rather carefree individual.
Komachi posesses a scythe, which aside from being a weapon, serves another, more subtle purpose. When the spirit of a recently deceased person arrives on the shores of the Sanzu, one of the first sights they behold is a figure carrying a large scythe. The spirit realizes, thanks to that tool, that they are looking at a shinigami--somehow, realizing that shinigami really do match their traditional image seems to reassure them, put them at ease, and come to terms with their fate more easily. 
A liberal use of coinage is the hallmark of Komachi's danmaku. This money comes from the spirits of the dead, who pay the shinigami a toll to ferry them across it into Higan. The money for this toll comes about due to the connections they had with others while they were alive. More specifically, the toll is the total sum of the money used by others for one's sake during one's lifetime.
The boat that Komachi uses (which she calls the Titanic) to ferry souls is a special rowboat that can cross the Sanzu River, and is provided to her by Hell in order to carry out her duties. It is old and worn, but she is perhaps unable to procure a new one due to Hell's current poor financial situation.  Yet, a few cards of her in Touhou Hisoutensoku makes use of this boat on land.
- Ability to manipulate distance
It is literally an ability to manipulate the space between the present location and the destination. She uses this ability to carry out her duty of ferrying the dead across the Sanzu River (although it is unknown whether other shinigami ferrymen also possess this power or not). This ability may be used to affect both literal distance (for example, changing the distance that exists between two points) and apparent distance (for example, making it seem like you never get any closer to (or farther away from) some point).
"Komachi" is written 小町, using the characters for "small" and "town," an uncommonly used term that is roughly equivalent to "the town beauty". "Onozuka" is 小野塚 is written with the characters "small", "field", and "mound".
In both Phantasmagoria of Flower View's and Scarlet Weather Rhapsody's official art, Komachi has red eyes, short pinkish red hair with two ponytails tied by two double hair beads. She wears a white dress underneath a blue vest, and has an obi with a large coin tied in the center. She also carries a scythe with a wispy ripple at the end of its blade.
Her alternative outfit in Phantasmagoria of Flower View is same as her usual outfit, except her hair beads are yellow, and her vest is green. Her alternative outfit in Scarlet Weather Rhapsody is same as her usual outfit, except her dress is red instead of blue, and she has pink hair.
- Phantasmagoria of Flower View
When the "flower incident" first occurred, she wasn't particularly bothered or worried about it. Instead, she simply carried on at her usual pace, occasionally even running away from work at times. Because of this, the huge quantity of spirits that arrived on the banks of the Sanzu were not brought across the river to stand before the Yama. This in turn led to flowers of every season blooming as they became possessed by these souls.
- Scarlet Weather Rhapsody
In Scarlet Weather Rhapsody, Komachi is on her "free time" as she wonders about the sudden changes in weather until Youmu informs her that someone is killing ghosts in order to manipulate the temperaments. She begins her "work" at the bamboo forest before she goes to investigate the Hakurei Shrine's condition, where Tenshi appears to keep her promise to Reimu of rebuilding the Shrine. She calls out Tenshi's immortality as a sham and states her lifespan is already over before challenging her to a battle. Although Tenshi was defeated in the battle, Komachi is unable to send her to the Netherworld as she is simply a ferry guide shinigami rather than a reaper.
She is Eiki's subordinate and is often scolded for her laid-back lifestyle and work ethic.
Komachi may have a grudge against her for how she flaunts her status of celestial, which is undeserved. The extent isn't known as no other game or manga touch upon this besides Scarlet Weather Rhapsody.
Their interactions when Komachi visits her are mildly antagonistic, but it doesn't stop Komachi from trying to give her advice or information such as the Kishin, who are really sent after those that live too long.
She is also seen chatting with the souls of the departed as she ferries them across the Sanzu River
- Komachi's name is extremely similar to that of Ono no Komachi, a famous Heian-era waka poet, with the main difference being that the poet's name lacks the "zuka" kanji (塚).
- There is a famous legend regarding Ono no Komachi's grandfather, Ono no Takamura, which claimed that at night, he would descend into Hell via a well, and aid the Yama in passing judgment.
- The Last Word theme in Imperishable Night, 東方妖怪小町 (Touhou Youkai Komachi), contains the exact kanji (小町) for her name. This fact has been used in the titles of several Komachi doujins.
- In Scarlet Weather Rhapsody, she mentions the idea of having a notebook that brought death to anyone whose name was written in it. This is an unsubtle reference to the titular possession of shinigami in the manga Death Note.
- One of Komachi's win quotes in Scarlet Weather Rhapsody has her saying that her eyes allow her to see how long someone will live. She goes on to offer to trade her eye for half the person's remaining lifespan. This is a blatant Death Note reference, and furthermore, it is directly contradicted in Perfect Memento in Strict Sense, which states that there are shinigami in the Ministry of Right and Wrong whose specific job is measuring and calculating lifespans. Therefore, this line of Komachi's can reasonably be treated as a non-canon joke.
- Although Komachi's own profile in Phantasmagoria of Flower View says that the width of the river changes depending on her mood (which is presumably dictating how she uses her power), it is also mentioned in parts of the game's dialog (especially between Eiki and Sakuya) that the width of the river is at least partially dependent upon the actual ghost being ferried: "A river's width is the same as the breadth of the soul's history. How you lived decides the width of the river."
- Fanart tends to portray Komachi as being very large-chested perhaps based off the remark of her being "Tall and Imposing" in Perfect Memento in Strict Sense. Her art depiction in Scarlet Weather Rhapsody is remarkable for being one of the few characters with a visible bust.
- She is also shown in fanon to tease Eiki about the differences in bust size. As it's fanon Eiki in most of these cases, this usually ends painfully for her as she hits or pokes Komachi with her Rod of Remorse.
- In fanon, Komachi's already considerable lazy/napping streak is exaggerated to often absurd levels, having her nap most of the day away.
- Komachi is sometimes paired up with Yuugi (powerful, shapely women) or Meiling (strong, redhead, shapely, lazy). Up to Touhou Hisoutensoku's release, fans were looking forward to how the two would interact. Sadly all they got was some vs mode win lines.
- Perfect Memento in Strict Sense: Perfect Memento in Strict Sense/Shinigami
- Phantasmagoria of Flower View: Phantasmagoria of Flower View/Story/Reimu's Scenario#Reimu vs. Komachi (Episode_8)
- Perfect Memento in Strict Sense: Perfect Memento in Strict Sense/Komachi Onozuka
- Phantasmagoria of Flower View: Phantasmagoria of Flower View/Story/Komachi's Script#Komachi_wins_someone
|This page is part of Project Characters, a Touhou Wiki project that aims to write proper descriptions for all official characters of Touhou Project.|