Account registration is currently disabled. Please visit our IRC channel and query an administrator to create a new account. Sorry for the inconvenience.
kasodanʲi kʲoːko (♫)
Kyouko Kasodani in Ten Desires
More Character Titles
|Abilities||Reflection of sound|
|Occupation||Reciting Buddhist sutras from mountains|
|Location||Youkai Mountain, Myouren Temple|
|Show Music Themes|
|Show Official Game appearances|
|Show Print Work appearances|
Kyouko Kasodani (幽谷 響子 Kasodani Kyouko) is yamabiko - a youkai that embodies mountain echoes and is able to reflect sound waves. She is a recent arrival to Myouren Temple; with mountain echoes no longer seen as a strange, inexplicable phenomenon, she decided to enter the Buddhist discipline. She now serves the Temple as a priest in-training, and is also responsible for cleaning duties and confronting trespassers, such as the player in stage 2 of Ten Desires. She is also part of a punk rock band called Choujuu Gigaku.
Kyouko is a cheerful, dutiful, and energetic girl who reminds the heroines of the rules before attacking them. Her ability to scream out her remarks cheerfully is perceived as either unnerving or unsurprising in Gensokyo. However, she is somewhat timid, and when she runs into a mountain climber she'll flee before shouting anything out. Sometimes she can be spotted mumbling sutras to herself, so despite her well-behaved appearance, she may be under some stress.
Kyouko is currently a Buddhist priest-in-training at the Myouren Temple. Her current training is apparently to sweep the main gate every morning. She also recites sutras as the other priests do, but because she's inexperienced, it is loud and difficult to listen to. It may also be because she doesn't actually know what they mean - she's only repeating what she hears other priests say.
Her daily activities at the Myouren Temple, however, leave her quite bored, and as a result of her dissatisfaction with her training, she has formed a punk rock band with Mystia Lorelei called Choujuu Gigaku. Byakuren Hijiri is not pleased with this development, and in Symposium of Post-mysticism promises to punish Mystia for being a bad influence.
She is known as Kyouko Kasodani (幽谷 響子). The characters for Kasodani (幽谷) literally mean "Ghost Valley", and Kyouko (響子) "resonance/echo child". Her name would appear to be a reference to her abilities as a yamabiko, since all of her attacks are based on reflective boundaries. The two kanji characters for her surname are separated from the two characters for her name, but if you put them all together minus the last kanji, you will get an alternative wording for "yamabiko" (幽谷響) - the name of her species, which is also written as やまびこ or 山彦.  
Her surname was incorrectly written as "Kasoya" (another possible reading of 幽谷) in both the demo and the first release of Ten Desires, but this was later fixed in 1.00b.
In Ten Desires' official art, Kyouko has teal colored hair and eyes and has yamabiko ears. She wears a long pale pink shirt with teal flower-shaped buttons and a white dress below it with black trim. She carries a bamboo broom. It is stated in Symposium of Post-mysticism that she has a short tail.
- Ten Desires
During the events of Ten Desires, Kyouko welcomes every heroine that comes to the Myouren Temple with Danmaku in attempt to drive off the intruders. However, she is unsuccessful and allows them to investigate the graveyard behind the temple.
- Wild and Horned Hermit, Chapter 9
Kyouko was depicted as one of the youkai at the Myouren Temple that was attacked by a strange "black mist", later revealed to be Suika Ibuki.
Among the others at the Myouren Temple, she is fond of Mamizou, whom she says will listen to any of her concerns. Other information is quite sparse, but it is assumed that she knows the others living at the temple.
- Mystia Lorelei
Together with Mystia they have a band called "Choujuu Gigaku".
Kyouko, as she appears in Wild and Horned Hermit chapter 9
- When Kyouko is ready to launch her next wave of attacks, her sprite is animated to make a shouting motion. Her ears vibrate extremely fast, almost like a blur.
- Kyouko was featured on the official demo CD of Ten Desires.
- Both of the sayings on her sprites, "gya-te-gya-te-" and "ze-mu-to-do-shu-" are from the latter part of the Japanese version of the Heart Sutra, a very common sutra in Mahāyāna Buddhism.
- Because of her ears, portraying her as a canine, with the addition of a tail and/or other dog attributes, is common. This is despite the fact that a Yamabiko is not a dog.
- She is sometimes paired with Yoshika Miyako due to both of them appearing in the demo version, though this became less common after the full version of Ten Desires was released, and again once her relationship with Mystia was established.
- A common gag is for characters to shout something crude while Kyouko is about, so that she'll be forced to repeat it. Sometimes Kyouko will even claim it's why she gave up on her old job as an echo.
- Byakuren is usually shown to be a motherly figure to her, often petting her head while it rests on Byakuren's lap.
- She is sometimes shown with Kogasa Tatara, being types to like surprising people and modern "youkai moe"s.
- She is sometimes associated with Kyoko Otonashi from Maison Ikkoku, since they share the exact given name Kyouko (響子), and are often depicted holding bamboo brooms.
- Symposium of Post-mysticism: Kyouko
- wikipedia:Gazu Hyakki Yakō#First Volume - 陰
- Japanese Wikipedia on 山彦
|This page is part of Project Characters, a Touhou Wiki project that aims to write proper descriptions for all official characters of Touhou Project.|