- Welcome to Touhou Wiki!
- Account registration is currently disabled.
- Please visit our IRC channel and query an administrator to create a new account. Sorry for the inconvenience.
inɯbaɕiɽʲi momʲidʑi (♫)
Sprite of Momiji Inubashiri in Double Spoiler
More Character Titles
Seeing a thousand ri ahead
At least over 49 years old
Patrolling and guarding Youkai Mountain
Momiji Inubashiri (犬走 椛 Inubashiri Momiji) is a white wolf tengu whose duty is to patrol the Youkai Mountain. Her good sense of smell and sight are helpful for this duty. Momiji does not have an official game portrait, only a sprite from Mountain of Faith, Double Spoiler and Impossible Spell Card. However, she does have some appearances in print works.
- Seeing a thousand ri ahead
Momiji has a telegnosis ability that allows her to see a thousand ri ahead (approximately 3,927 kilometres, or 2,440 miles). She also has a superior sense of smell, that combined with her ability makes her able to detect any intruder in an instant.
- Abilities as tengu
Akyuu describes tengu as one of the strongest species, both in physical and sorcerous abilities. While nothing about Momiji herself has especially come to light, she is likely to possess some of those traits, such as their (almost) unmatched speed.
Momiji's wolf-like appearance may be a reference to the Tiangou, a Chinese version of a tengu that is described to be more dog-like.
Her full name is Momiji Inubashiri (犬走 椛). Inubashiri (犬走, lit. "dog run") is an actual used (but very rare) surname in Japan. It refers to the dirt path outside of building or residence used for patrols ("berm" is corresponded to the term in this usage on the English Wikipedia) — the etymology of this word comes from the fact that the path is so narrow that only a dog can rush through it in a very short time, which has effect to give Momiji's image her speedy might. But the word also indicates her simple-but-fundamental social class; she protects the basement of architecture from erosion, like the occupation of white wolf tengu). It also means Momiji is one of several Japanese names for maple trees (read same, but written as 紅葉 in this usage). The kanji used in her name 椛 refers to "birch". Maple, however makes more sense as she has a maple leaf depicted on her shield.
Momiji only has a small sprite both used in Mountain of Faith and Double Spoiler, so an accurate description is not possible, but from the sprite, we see that she wears a white, long-sleeved shirt, and a large black skirt with red flame-like designs reaching up from the bottom of the skirt, and that it has a white layer below her skirt. She has short light silver hair and wears a red Tokin. She holds a large scimitar-like sword and a white, round shield with a red maple leaf print on it.
- Mountain of Faith
Momiji is the stage 4 midboss of Mountain of Faith. When the heroine finally reached Youkai Mountain during Mountain of Faith, Momiji attempted to stop her at the waterfall. Although Momiji was unsuccessful, it seems she did fulfill her duty of reporting the intruder's presence back to the other tengu with record speed, as a reinforcement tengu named Aya Shameimaru had arrived by the end of the same stage to investigate what was going on.
Later, Momiji observed the final battles between the heroine and the newly appeared shrine and its god, apparently without being noticed by either of them.
- Double Spoiler
- Impossible Spell Card
Momiji attacks Seija Kijin on the Youkai Mountain on day 6, using a spell card that is considered impossible to dodge. It's unknown if Momiji actually went out searching for Seija like many others, or if she was just doing her job of keeping Seija away from the Youkai Mountain.
- Symposium of Post-mysticism
Back in 1963, Momiji has discovered new pieces of Shoji in Muenzuka from the outside world. Believing that she was creating unique rules to this game, she couldn't believe that the same this was happening in the outside world, where she got a bit frustrated. Saying that, she wants to know how Shoji has developed in the outside world, while speculating that the game has become simplified because the pieces she's found couldn't be promoted.
When she meets Aya they often get into fights with each other. According to Aya, Momiji looks down on her and the other crow tengu. Hatate, however, implies that this is only a personal feud between Momiji and Aya.
She is very loyal to the chief of the tengu, Lord Tenma.
- Momiji is one of the few characters that doesn't appear in Hopeless Masquerade as a background character. The reason is unknown.
- Because Momiji is a white wolf tengu, even though some early fanworks showed her looking indistinguishable from a human, it has become common to depict her with a ears and tail off a wolf. Her eyes are often shown to be red, to fit in with the colors of her costume.
- It has been common for fans to call her "MomijiMomiMomi" (もみじもみもみ). Some fans have said ""Momiji needs her Momi" (もみじは彼女のモミを必要とする)".
- Since her profile (see below) says "she has a very cooperative personality and executes her duties faithfully", most fan works depict her as acting like a loyal, affectionate puppy.
- Her profile says she plays "large chess" (大将棋 Dai Shogi), a game similar to chess, with the kappa. Because of that, some fans think that she personally knows Nitori Kawashiro while taking a break from her job.
- There is a fan version of Momiji called a "Mofuji" (もふじ), which depicts Momiji as a puffball similar to the kedama with Momiji-like features. See the search at safebooru for examples.
- Double Spoiler features Momiji's spell card named Dog Sign "Rabies Bite". "Momiji has rabies" jokes are sometimes used throughout the fanbase. The spell card is also popular in various fan works, including song and accompanying flash video by IOSYS, Defence of The Shrines' Warcraft mod and some others.
|This page is part of Project Characters, a Touhou Wiki project that aims to write proper descriptions for all official characters of Touhou Project. Please keep the character page guidelines in mind when contributing.|