Account registration is currently disabled. Please visit our IRC channel and query an administrator to create a new account. Sorry for the inconvenience.
mizɯhaɕi paɽɯ̥si (♫)
Parsee Mizuhashi in Subterranean Animism
More Character Titles
|Abilities||Manipulation of jealousy|
|Show Music Themes|
|Show Official Game appearances|
|Show Print Work appearances|
Parsee Mizuhashi (水橋 パルスィ Mizuhashi Parusi) is a hashihime, or bridge princess, who guards the "bridge" between the surface world and the underground world. She is able to control the jealousy in others.
Parsee harbors intense feelings of jealousy due to being despised. No matter situation the other person may be in, she'll always be jealous of it. Even if the other person is actually less fortunate, she will be jealous of the fact that they're not jealous. In this way, her jealousy is quite irrational. This isn't to say Parsee is actually unfortunate. If you were to talk to her directly, she would come off as completely normal - even a bit cheerful - but this masks the jealousy that she's actually feeling, and afterwards she will end up despising you and talking behind your back.
As a youkai who can be called the very embodiment of jealousy, she is able to manipulate those feelings in others. She lives off of seeing the lives of those she introduces jealousy into being destroyed by it.
Parsee used to be a guardian, someone who would watch over those crossing her bridge to make sure they passed between the underground and the surface world safely. However, her own jealousy at those travelers eventually caused her to be able to control feelings of jealousy in others.
The "Hashihime" (橋姫) is a mythical youkai that appears in various Japanese texts (Most notably the The Tale of Heike). After her husband left her and married another woman, the jealous and enraged Hashihime prays to the gods for revenge. A priest tells her a way: She has to dress herself in red and paint her face with the same color, her hair arranged with seven loops and crowned with a burning brazier, then spend 21 days under the Uji bridge while holding a metal rod. So deep was her rage and jealousy, that she actually did the entire process, becoming a vengeful youkai driven by jealousy that only appears in the vicinity of bridges that cross over water. She appears to loving couples, threatening to kill them both unless they break up right there and then. There is also a famous Noh Play about this mythological creature. 
According to ZUN in an interview in Chara☆Mel released with Cage in Lunatic Runagate 7, the term 波斯人 (hashihito) refers to Persians, and he thought it would be interesting to try to make a more foreign-looking character, a Persian hashihime in old-style clothes, even if she doesn't really look like a hashihime. 
The name of Parsee's boss theme, "Green-eyed Jealousy", as well as her midboss spell card, "Green-eyed Monster", are both terms used in Shakespeare's works to poetically describe jealousy.
Her family name Mizuhashi (水橋) means "Water (水) Bridge (橋)". Parsee, or "Parsi", is the name of the members of the Indian Zoroastrian community. They descend from Persian Zoroastrians who emigrated to South Asia in the 8th century AD.
Parsee has wavy blond hair and green eyes, and her skin appears to have pale chartreuse tint to it. She wears an odd dress; the top is brown with purple borders and a white criss-cross pattern and a pink sash. The bottom is blue, purple with again the white criss-cross pattern and black with criss-crossed red strings hanging on the bottom edge. She has a pink scarf tied around her neck and pink puffy arm socks.
- Subterranean Animism
In each scenario, Parsee wonders why a human has come to the underground. She is also unaware of the youkai that communicates with the heroine, which leads to various complications.
In Reimu Hakurei's story arcs, Parsee wonders if Reimu is there for the "cursed powers" or, alternately, if she is there because of the earthquakes. With Marisa Kirisame, Parsee warns the heroine against proceeding farther underground. In all cases, whether due to jealousy/anger with Reimu or Marisa's refusal to turn back, Parsee attacks and is defeated by the heroine.
- Suika appears to recognize her in Reimu and Suika's scenario of Subterranean Animism.
- While her character portrait in Subterranean Animism shows her as having green eyes, her sprite shows her as having blue eyes.
- Quite a few of her spellcards reference Japanese folklore (namely stories involving jealous individuals) such as "The Tongue-Cut Sparrow."
- Some Japanese people tend to pronounce her personal name "Parsee" [paɽɯ̥si] as if it were "Parseeh" [paɽɯ̥siː] or "Parshee" [paɽɯ̥ɕiː], maybe because there is a customary rule of Japanese engineer's terms that they should omit the long vowel mark at the end of a word unless it isn't a short word; for example, "アッセンブラ" (assembler) although it's normally spelled as "アッセンブラー".
- Due to her picture in Subterranean Animism, she is often depicted having elfin-like ears.
- Because of her jealous nature, Parsee has joined Alice Margatroid as a fanon-designated tsundere.
- Sometimes, fans refer to her as "ParuParu" (sometimes with more "Paru"s added to it), such as in popular videos like ぱるぱるぱるぱるぱるぱるぱるぱるぱるぱるぱる.
- Parsee is frequently paired in fan works with Yuugi Hoshiguma, despite there being no official indication that they've even met.
- Some fans tend to think of her as lonely because her theme (The Bridge People No Longer Cross) and also the fact she is a bridge princess, which, in folklore, is waiting for her lover, making it obvious that some fans tend portray her waiting for said lover to return.
- One artist created a version of Parsee known as Purusee, a jiggling cat-chibi version of Parsee that's generally shown doing various things. Said artist has since made a few similar versions of other characters.
- Its popularity is mixed as some like it while others are mainly annoyed by how the sudden mass uploads interfere with surfing.
- "Kanawa (Iron Trivet)". http://www.the-noh.com/en/plays/data/program_026.html. Retrieved 18 Februari, 2011.
- "Hashihime 橋姫 [literally "bridge princess"]". http://www.glopad.org/jparc/?q=en/node/21896. Retrieved 18 Februari, 2011.
- "能面 橋姫 Noumen Hashi-hime Noh Mask Hashihime". http://nippon-kichi.jp/article_list.do;jsessionid=98EBB0CA3885C46AAA6513154C141D81?p=2486&ml_lang=en. Retrieved 18 Februari, 2011.
- "The Yokai Files – Hashi Hime". http://totaljapandemonium.wordpress.com/2011/01/26/the-yokai-files-hashi-hime/. Retrieved 18 Februari, 2011.
- "キャラ☆メル vol.7 東方地霊殿神主インタビュー（前編）". Chara☆Mel. http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm5903008.
|This page is part of Project Characters, a Touhou Wiki project that aims to write proper descriptions for all official characters of Touhou Project.|