- Welcome to Touhou Wiki!
- Account registration is currently disabled.
- Please visit our IRC channel and query an administrator to create a new account. Sorry for the inconvenience.
Rin Saetsuki (さえつき りん)
Rin Saezuki (さえづき りん)
Rin Satsuki from the circle cut?
Rin Satsuki (冴月麟 Satsuki Rin) would have been the third playable character of Embodiment of Scarlet Devil but was cut during production due to time constraints. A trace amount of data about her name was left in the game data. Not much is known about her, but the text "冴月 麟" (or the hex code "8D E1 8C 8E 20 97 D9") can be found in the "東方紅魔郷.exe" executable file near Reimu Hakurei and Marisa Kirisame's line of code.
There's traces of information scattered in relation to Embodiment of Scarlet Devil that could be associated with her. In the games data, there are two attack types: Flower Sign (花符) and Wind Sign (風符). An alleged portrait of her (or an otherwise unknown character) appears on Team Shanghai Alice's circle cut in the Comiket when Embodiment of Scarlet Devil was first released (shown in the info box on the left). Additionally, shown in the data files by using a tool to rip graphics from the game, there is an unnused character in the Stage 1 enemy sprites that looks much like the character in the portrait, although there's a possibility that this was originally going to be Rumia.
Based on a remark by Marisa Kirisame in her Extra Stage , Rin is theorized to be a nurse, but this is pure speculation. However, in modern Japanese popular culture, the kirin is often conflated with the unicorn (cf. Final Fantasy, Monster Hunter), which has healing powers; this would suggest a connexion between kirin and nurses.
Her name Rin (麟) stands for the mythological creature Kirin, prompting some to believe that she was supposed to be a personification of a kirin. This is supported by the fact that by the Japanese name order, her name is "Satsuki Rin." Official pronunciation and romanization are unknown. Her name "冴月 麟" is generally pronounced "Rin Satsuki" (さつき りん).
Other possibilities for reading her name includes 冴 as sae or kooru and 月 as getsu or gatsu. "麟" has however only one reading: rin.
If the girl depicted in the circle cut is Rin Satsuki, then Rin appears to wear a large ribbon on her hair with cherry hair pins and a dress-like blouse. She holds an erhu upside down and the colours are unknown because the circle cut is in monochrome.
- Fans have different interpretations of her appearance. The most common one is accepting the circle cut as a canonical depiction of Rin then adding colour to her with blonde hair, a pink blouse with a red underdress ribbon, as well as having socks that're a light pink in colour. This is an example.
- Many fans suggest that Rin's more of a fan-made character rather than an official character by ZUN since certain facts of her character (such as her appearance and colouring) were suggested by fans. In addition, the fact that she doesn't really have an official appearance in any Touhou Project work only helps to support this.
- ZUN's AWA Q&A Panel
- Maybe I shoulda said "nurse"? - Marisa, Extra Stage
|This page is part of Project Characters, a Touhou Wiki project that aims to write proper descriptions for all official characters of Touhou Project. Please keep the character page guidelines in mind when contributing.|