- Welcome to Touhou Wiki!
- Account registration has been reopened! Register an account if you wish to edit.
Rumia in Embodiment of Scarlet Devil
More Character Titles
Rumia (ルーミア) is a youkai with the ability of manipulating the darkness, and is one of the few youkai that doesn't seem to belong to any particular species. She first appeared in Embodiment of Scarlet Devil as the first stage boss and midboss, then later in Shoot the Bullet as a stage 1 target and as one of the many background characters in Hopeless Masquerade.
Apparently, she is quite simple-minded, and doesn't like the sunlight nor the summer heat; in fact, she uses her powers of darkness to surround herself in a mass of dark, as to avoid the heat and the light. It is also said that she only uses this power as a supportive ability when attacking others, using pure strength as her main asset. She seems like to fly around aimlessly during the day and the night, sometimes bumping into trees since she is less capable of seeing obstacles through her veil of darkness. Despite her innocent appearance, she eats humans and thinks that a youkai's job is to hunt them down, but she also seems to be quite lazy and has commented that it is generally a pain for her doing it.
- Manipulating darkness
Rumia has the ability of manipulating darkness. By covering herself in pure darkness, she is able to prevent sunlight from passing through the darkness, as it is magical in nature and can render traditional lights such as torches useless within it. Because of this, people who happen to go inside the darkness would not able to see anything, but it looks like even Rumia also cannot see, as she might crash into trees while flying. The appearance of the darkness outside its region looks like a spherical circle that is moving. Rumia says "I'm fine in moonlight" meaning she doesn't need such ability on the night of a new moon.
Should also be noted that while her field of vision is reduced by her own ability, she is used to it enough to be able to read Aya's newspaper even with almost no light, while Aya herself couldn't write notes nor reading her notebook. At that time, she has also shown that her light-blocking ability doesn't work only as "on" (complete lack of light) or "off", but she can control how much light can pass through the darkness, as she let only a bit of it entering to be able to read the newspaper.
Additionally, judging from one of her spellcards in Shoot the Bullet, she seems to be able to turn into some sort of dark mist.
The names of her spell cards are also related to night and darkness (Moon Sign, Night Sign, Darkness Sign).
ZUN has mentioned in an interview that because it was the first Windows game, he set one of the concepts of Embodiment of Scarlet Devil as a deochi (出落ち, lit. "punch line on the entrance"), such as bringing Western youkai as bosses, even though the title is named Touhou ("Eastern"). Her ability "manipulation of darkness" is one of that instance. It sounds like if it was that of a final boss, yet she is only a stage 1 boss.
Rumia's design shows that she has red eyes and short blond hair. She wears a black vest and skirt, and white blouse with a red tie bordered by two large red beads around her neck. She also has small red amulet tied to the left side of her hair, making it look like a ribbon. However, she can neither touch nor remove the amulet.
- Embodiment of Scarlet Devil
In the events of Embodiment of Scarlet Devil, Rumia bumps into either Reimu Hakurei or Marisa Kirisame near the Hakurei Shrine during her aimless wanderings and attacks them, as other youkai won't do. She is defeated quickly.
- Bohemian Archive in Japanese Red
When interviewed by Aya prior to the events of Embodiment of Scarlet Devil, Rumia complained that other youkai were coming into her darkness because the article Aya had written suggested they could also avoid the light and heat like her. She also complained when Aya requested there be enough light for her to take notes, as it seems that Rumia's eyes are very sensitive to even a little bit of light; most likely because she's so used to the darkness, even considering nighttime to be bright. Aya was a bit disappointed that Rumia has no goals in life.
- Oriental Sacred Place
Rumia appears in Oriental Sacred Place to participate in a test of guts being held at the Hakurei Shrine, along with Sakuya Izayoi, Youmu Konpaku, Yuyuko Saigyouji, Wriggle Nightbug, Mystia Lorelei, and Cirno. At that time, she is first seen talking with Mystia and Wriggle, and then within her sphere of darkness while chasing Youmu. She also reappears later in a similar crowd when the Three Fairies of Light preparing a festival at the Hakurei Shrine. Rumia however did not seem like she was part of the preparation and wasn't visible during the festival itself.
- Silent Sinner in Blue
She appears in Silent Sinner in Blue, participating to the party given in the Scarlet Devil Mansion by Remilia Scarlet to celebrate the completion of the rocket that will send Remilia's group to the Moon. While at the party, Rumia is noticed to be talking to Wriggle Nightbug.
Rumia in her mass of darkness (from Bohemian Archive in Japanese Red)
Rumia wondering why Aya Shameimaru doesn't like the pitch-black darkness
Rumia and her magical mass of darkness (from Oriental Sacred Place)
Rumia's sigil in The Grimoire of Marisa.
- Rumia is known for the memorial "First to Use the Spell Card System™" in the history of shooting games.
- She is also the first official Windows boss of the Touhou Project.
- She is usually drawn with her arms spread out, claiming the pose appears to say, "The saint was crucified." Of course, this just makes her look more childish.
- Rumia's non-spell card attacks and her spell card Moon Sign "Moonlight Ray" are similar to the attacks of Mystic Square's first stage boss, Sara.
- Rumia references the phrase "人類は十進法を採用しました" (Mankind adopted the decimal system) in Marisa's scenario of Embodiment of Scarlet Devil. It comes from MORI Hiroshi's novel "誰もいなくなった ～Thirty Little Indians" (Then There Were None ~ Thirty Little Indians) from "まどろみ消去 ～Missing under the Mistletoe" (Slumber Erasing ~ Missing under the Mistletoe).
Coming closer, Fukashi and Yōko waved their hands, then Moe Nishinosono
spread her hands next to her face.
This wasn't the gesture of Man adopting the decimal system.
- The author commented this phrase was put in to show that she didn't spread her arms to the full extent like the character 十, but that she spread her ten fingers as if she'd counted to 10.
- Also, her sigil, shown on The Grimoire of Marisa depicts mistletoe.
- EX Rumia: It's broadly rumored among fans that the amulet-ribbon is some kind of "seal", and that taking it off will release her true power. In some doujinshi, when the amulet-ribbon is removed Rumia develops an EX form in which she looks more mature, has wings, and/or wields a giant dark sword (usually a Stormbringer).
- Sonanoka~:Her catchphrase in fan works is Sōnanokā (そーなのかー) which is a pretty childish way of saying "Is that so~." Rumia first says this in Embodiment of Scarlet Devil during Reimu's scenario. This is reflective of the childish and ditzy personality she's given in most fanart.
- Team ⑨: In fan works, she is often seen with other lower level, childish characters like Cirno, Mystia Lorelei and Wriggle Nightbug and Daiyousei.
- "Team ⑨" is a term used in the Western fandom. In the Japanese community, they (Cirno, Mystia, Rumia, Wriggle) are referred as the "Bakartet" (バカルテット bakarutetto, "baka" + "quartet").
- The 7th day of the month is known as "Rumia's day" among the fanbase, and various artists are more likely to draw many fanarts involving her. That's because in japanese this day is also called "nanoka".
- Similarly to Yuyuko Saigyouji and Yoshika Miyako, she is often portrayed as a glutton that is extremely fond of meat (most notably humans and Mystia Lorelei). The three of them are sometimes seen together and are known as the "hungry trio" in the western fanbase.
- Bohemian Archive in Japanese Red: Rumia Article and Interview
- Perfect Memento in Strict Sense: Rumia Article
- "The Chief Priest ZUN talks about Mountain of Faith!" Chara☆Mel Vol.3, Ichijinsha, Dec 2007, pp.104-111.
|This page is part of Project Characters, a Touhou Wiki project that aims to write proper descriptions for all official characters of Touhou Project. Please keep the character page guidelines in mind when contributing.|