Double Dealing Character demo will be released on Reitaisai 10 (May 26)!
Rumia in Embodiment of Scarlet Devil
More Character Titles
|Show Music Themes|
|Show Official Game appearances|
|Show Print Work appearances|
Apparently, she is quite simple-minded, and doesn't like the sunlight nor the summer heat; in fact, she uses her powers of darkness to surround herself in a mass of dark, as to avoid the heat and the light. However, it is said that she only uses her powers as a supportive ability when attacking others, using pure force as her main asset. She seems like to fly around aimlessly during the day and the night, sometimes bumping into trees, since she is less capable of seeing obstacles through her veil of darkness. Despite her innocent appearance, she eats humans.
- Manipulating darkness
Rumia has the ability of manipulating darkness. By covering herself in pure darkness, she is able to prevent sunlight from passing thought the darkness as this darkness is magical in nature, and can render traditional lights such as torches useless within it. Because of this, people who happen to go inside the darkness would not able to see anything, but it looks like even Rumia also cannot see, as she might crash into trees while flying.
Additionally, judging from one of her spellcards in Shoot the Bullet (Darkness Sign "Dark Side of the Moon", in stage 1-4) she also might be able to turn into some sort of dark mist, but this is not confirmed.
The appearance of the darkness outside its region looks like a spherical circle that is moving. Rumia says "I'm fine in moonlight," meaning she doesn't need such ability on the night of a new moon. Also, the names of Rumia's spell cards are also related to darkness (Moon Sign, Darkness Sign, Night Sign).
Rumia's design shows that she has red eyes and short blond hair. She wears a black vest and skirt, and white blouse with a red tie bordered by two large red beads around her neck. She also has small red amulet tied to the left side of her hair, making it look like a ribbon. However, she can neither touch nor remove the amulet.
- Embodiment of Scarlet Devil
- Bohemian Archive in Japanese Red
When interviewed by Aya prior to the events of Embodiment of Scarlet Devil, Rumia complained that other youkai were coming into her darkness because the article Aya had written suggested they could also avoid the light and heat like her. She also complained when Aya requested there be enough light for her to take notes, as it seems that Rumia's eyes are very sensitive to even a little bit of light; most likely because she's so used to the darkness, even considering nighttime to be bright. Aya was a bit disappointed that Rumia has no goals in life.
- Oriental Sacred Place
Rumia appears in Oriental Sacred Place to participate in test of guts being held at the Hakurei Shrine, along with Youmu Konpaku, Yuyuko Saigyouji, Wriggle Nightbug, Mystia Lorelei, and Cirno, and can at one point be seen within her sphere of darkness. She also reappears later in a similar crowd when the Three Fairies of Light preparing a festival at the Hakurei Shrine. Rumia however did not seem like she was part of the preparation and wasn't visible during the festival itself.
- Rumia is known for the memorial "First to Use the Spell Card System™" in the history of shooting games.
- She is also the first official Windows boss of the Touhou Project.
- ZUN has mentioned in his Interview that because it was the first Windows game, he set one of the concepts of Embodiment of Scarlet Devil as a deochi (出落ち, lit. "punch line on the entrance"), such as bringing Western youkai as bosses, even though the title is named Touhou ("Eastern"). Her ability "manipulation of darkness" is one of that instance. It sounds like if it was that of a final boss, yet she is only a stage 1 boss.
- She is usually drawn with her arms spread out, claiming the pose appears to say, "The saint was crucified." Of course, this just makes her look more childish.
- Rumia's non-spell card attacks and her spell card Moon Sign "Moonlight Ray" are similar to the attacks of Mystic Square's first stage boss, Sara.
- Rumia references the phrase "人類は十進法を採用しました" (Mankind adopted the decimal system) in Marisa's scenario of Embodiment of Scarlet Devil. It comes from MORI Hiroshi's novel "誰もいなくなった ～Thirty Little Indians" (Then There Were None ~ Thirty Little Indians) from "まどろみ消去 ～Missing under the Mistletoe" (Slumber Erasing ~ Missing under the Mistletoe).
Coming closer, Fukashi and Yōko waved their hands, then Moe Nishinosono
spread her hands next to her face.
This wasn't the gesture of Man adopting the decimal system.
- The author commented this phrase was put in to show that she didn't spread her arms to the full extent like the character 十, but that she spread her ten fingers as if she'd counted to 10.
- Also, her sigil, shown on The Grimoire of Marisa depicts mistletoe.
- EX Rumia: It's broadly rumored among fans that the amulet-ribbon is some kind of "seal", and that taking it off will release her true power. In some doujinshi, when the amulet-ribbon is removed Rumia develops an EX form in which she looks more mature, has wings, and/or wields a giant dark sword (usually a Stormbringer).
- Sonanoka~:Her catchphrase in fan works is Sōnanokā (そーなのかー) which is a pretty childish way of saying "Is that so~." Rumia first says this in Embodiment of Scarlet Devil during Reimu's scenario. This is reflective of the childish and ditzy personality she's given in most fanart.
- Team ⑨: In fan works, she is often seen with other lower level, childish characters like Cirno, Mystia Lorelei and Wriggle Nightbug and Daiyousei.
- "Team ⑨" is a term used in the Western fandom. In the Japanese community, they (Cirno, Mystia, Rumia, Wriggle) are referred as the "Bakartet" (バカルテット bakarutetto, "baka" + "quartet").
- The 7th day of the month is known as "Rumia's day" among the fanbase, and various artists are encouraged to draw many fanarts involving her. That's probably because in japanese this day is also called "nanoka".
- Wikipedia (ja) - Rumia's reference