- Welcome to Touhou Wiki!
- Account registration is currently disabled.
- Please visit our IRC channel and query an administrator to create a new account. Sorry for the inconvenience.
Seija Kijin in Impossible Spell Card
More Character Titles
Turning anything upside-down
Seija Kijin (鬼人 正邪 Kijin Seija) is an amanojaku with the power to turn things upside-down. She resides in the Shining Needle Castle and is the protagonist of the spin-off game Impossible Spell Card and the minigame Gold Rush.
Seija first appeared as the fifth stage boss of Double Dealing Character, and was behind the main plot of the game. Her main objective was to overthrow society, and to make the weak rule over the strong. She then appeared as the only protagonist and playable character in Impossible Spell Card.
Ability & Personality
- Turning anything upside-down
As literally stated, Seija is able to flip anything into its opposite existence. This would explain why the Shining Needle Castle is inverted. However, the description of the ability is technically inaccurate, as her first spell card flips the screen around the Z-axis, and hence not upside-down. She thinks the opposite of what other people think, likes what others hate, and hates herself when she makes others happy. In general, no one liked her, and she liked that fact. She also tends to be talkative.
Seija was the one who originally found the Miracle Mallet. Once she realized it contained the power to realize her ambition, she found an Inchling named Shinmyoumaru Sukuna, as inchlings are the only ones able to use it. In order to draw her to her own side, she made up a story about how the inchling race was humiliated for ages, blaming the youkai for their downfall, and got Shinmyoumaru to agree with her plan.
Her name is Seija Kijin (鬼人 正邪). Her first name Seija (正邪) can be loosely translated as "good and evil" or "right and wrong." Her last name Kijin (鬼人) is spelled with characters meaning "oni" and "human". "邪" and "鬼" are both characters that make up the name of her species: Amanojaku (天邪鬼). Although her given name has the character for "oni," and her species is often depicted as a type of oni in Japanese folklore, amanojaku in the Touhou Project are a separate species. Both her first and last names reference her ability, as each is composed of two kanji with opposite meanings (human/oni and right/wrong).
Seija has red eyes and black hair with white highlights in the back and a single red highlight on her front bangs. Her hair reaches down to her shoulders. She has two small, light blue horns, and she wears a white dress that ends in a gray, red, and black spade patterns that may symbolize her ability, as they look like arrows pointing downward and upward depending on the perspective. The dress is wrapped at the waist with an upside-down blue bow. She wears traditional sandals with purple straps. She also wears a gold-colored bracelet on her right arm.
- Double Dealing Character
Seija is the stage 5 boss, residing in the Shining Needle Castle. At first, she thinks the heroine is there to ally with them, and explains her plan to overthrow society. However, she quickly gets irritated with the heroine's perceived lack of empathy for the "plight of the weak", and attacks. After she is defeated, she guides the heroine deeper into the castle, but is beaten again in order to get to Shinmyoumaru.
- Impossible Spell Card
Seija becomes the only playable character of the game. Following the events of Double Dealing Character, Seija has become a wanted amanojaku in Gensokyo. There has been signs saying that whoever captures her wins a reward, having characters like Kagerou Imaizumi and Raiko Horikawa trying to capture her. Since Seija has become a rebel, the youkai have decided to use spell cards that's considered impossible to dodge, but Seija is determined to not give up and decides to cheat using items.
Later on however, Mamizou Futatsuiwa confronts her and says that the tengu (presumably Aya Shameimaru and Hatate Himekaidou) have taken notice of her and have written up a newspaper about her mischief. This causes stronger youkai and humans such as Marisa Kirisame, Sakuya Izayoi, Sanae Kochiya and Youmu Kompaku to try and capture her. Also Shinmyoumaru Sukuna confronts her and declares that she should return the remainder of the Mallet's magic and that they've lost the war that occurred during Double Dealing Character. Seija believing that using her cheaty magic to concur Gensokyo, Shinmyoumaru states that they ought to surrender because she has had enough. Since Seija goes against her will, Shinmyoumaru goes against Seija and gets others to capture her, becoming one of the many to try and stop Seija.
In the end, it's revealed that Seija has lost all of her allies, but it's nothing to worry about because the amanojaku can never really make friends anyway.
- Gold Rush
Seija again appeared as the only playable character in Gold Rush. Extending from Impossible Spell Card, somehow acquiring the ultimate rule-breaking item, Seija sets about robbing the Hakurei Shrine. She uses two "cheat" items; the Substitute Jizo from the previous game and the 10th "rule-breaking" item, the Miracle Mallet (Real), which is capable of destroying danmaku. She has to make use of it before its power runs out. This is somewhat similar to Cirno's "perfect freeze" in Fairy Wars. Unlike ISC however, Seija cannot shoot.
Seija initially approached Shinmyoumaru Sukuna to persuade her to use the Miracle Mallet for her own ends. In order to do so, she falsified a history of the Inchlings to turn the girl against society.
- Benben Tsukumo and Yatsuhashi Tsukumo
Though no dialogue is exchanged between them, Seija appears to understand the heroine when they mention that a koto or biwa tsukumogami told them about her plan. As they all have the same objective, it is likely that they know each other. However, Seija's reaction implies that she didn't realize the extent of the "payment" of the Miracle Mallet's power - that is, changing many objects into tsukumogami without the user intending to do so.
- The silhouette of Seija occupies on the front of Impossible Spell Card's jewel case.
- Some parts of Seija's theme are symmetrical making it sound similar to itself when played reversed (much like Koishi's theme); this is probably a reference to her ability to turn things over and to the theme name itself: Reverse Ideology.
- Apparently the relationship of the main villains of Double Dealing Character, Seija and Shinmyoumaru, is vague. But it might be a little wrong. it is said that amanojaku (or Ama-no-Jaku) is rooted from a female deity of Japanese mythology, Ame-no-Sagume. In the age Ama-tsu-kami (God Clan in Heaven) and Kuni-tsu-kami (God Clan on Ground) were in battles. then Ama-tsu-kami sent a god Ame-no-Wakahiko for "negotiation". But he neither came back nor took a message — he married there and had no will to be on the side of Ama-tsu-kami; he switched or reverted his side. And it was Ame-no-Sagume who later gave advice to him that he should shoot Ama-tsu-kami's spy. This shows some resemblances of Ame-no-Sagume and amanojaku (or Seija): they are a traitor's friend, and his/her seducer. Another point, remember that Shinmyoumaru's root from Japanese mythology is Sukunahiko, who created the kingdom of Kuni-tsu-kami with Ookuninushi, where Ame-no-sagume lived as above. This means we can see that Shinmyoumaru's rooted god (or Shinmyoumaru's first ancestor) had taken part in Kuni-tsu-kami's side by far before Seija's rooted god (Ame-no-Sagume) appeared.
- Comments related to Seija written on Internet sites are sometimes shown be written upside down, where it references her ability.
- She's sometimes shown causing trouble for others using her ability and being a general troublemaker.
- Fans tend to draw her upside-down due to her nature.
- Several fanworks like to play with the idea that she says the opposite of what she thinks. For example, if she says "This is not cute at all!", then she really believes it is cute.
- Some fanarts feature Seija with switched limbs - right hands and feet are on the left, and vice versa. That is suggested by the fact she appears in-game with her right hand flipped towards the player, an unnatural movement.
- Seija is commonly paired with C-Moon, the Stand of Enrico Pucci from JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, who's able to inverse the surface much like her ability.
- Ryuuko Matoi from Kill La Kill has a similar hairstyle.
|This page is part of Project Characters, a Touhou Wiki project that aims to write proper descriptions for all official characters of Touhou Project. Please keep the character page guidelines in mind when contributing.|