- Welcome to Touhou Wiki!
- Account registration has been reopened! Register an account if you wish to edit.
|Attention: This article is a stub and it needs expanding with more information related to the article's topic. If you canin any way, please do so.|
Sekibanki in Double Dealing Character
More Character Titles
Making her head fly
Sekibanki is a Rokurokubi that dwells in the Human Village in disguise as a human. She first appeared as the Stage 2 Mid-Boss and Boss in Double Dealing Character, and then as a Day 2 Boss in Impossible Spellcard.
Although she's referred to as a rokurokubi in-game, Sekibanki has a few different inspirations. In Japanese folklore, a rokurokubi is a youkai that can stretch its neck to great extents. There's also a type of youkai called a nukekubi, which can remove its head completely. Although it may seem like Sekibanki is based exclusively on the nukekubi, she still does have the elongated neck of a rokurokubi (best seen in her spell card Neck Sign "Close-Eye Shot"). ZUN also uses the term 'Dullahan' as a translation or close approximation of her species' name in English.
Sekibanki (赤蛮奇) is spelled with the characters for "red", "barbarian", and "anomaly". The characters are read using their on'yomi, or Chinese readings, unlike with most Touhou Project characters. The second character, ban (蛮), is likely taken from hitouban (飛頭蛮), which is a Chinese youkai equivalent to the rokurokubi.
Sekibanki has red hair and eyes. She wears a blue bow with red trimmings and a red and blue capelet that covers part of her face. She also wears a black and red long sleeved shirt, as well as a dark red skirt and red and black boots. When she's defeated, her portrait with a slash in her skirt show that she wears a white undershirt.
- Double Dealing Character
- Impossible Spell Card
Presumably from hearing or seeing a wanted sign about the mischief-making amanojaku Seija Kijin, Sekibanki appears to be one of the many youkai that tries to capture her. She uses spell cards that are considered impossible to dodge.
- In folklore, nukekubi are said to have symbols on their neck where the head detaches, revealing their identity - which may explain Sekibanki's choice to wear a capelet to cover her neck.
- When Double Dealing Character was first announced, due to only seeing a small screenshot of Sekibanki where there was one of Sakuya Izayoi's knives next to her, some fans mistakenly speculated that she was either holding a large hammer or a sword.
- After the demo was released, she has been the subject of two main jokes: one being her head getting used like a ball and another having her head be a Yukkuri.
- Sekibanki is also compared to Nadia Fortune, Mami Tomoe and Celty, from Skullgirls, Puella Magi Madoka Magica and Durarara!!, respectively due to obvious circumstances.
|This page is part of Project Characters, a Touhou Wiki project that aims to write proper descriptions for all official characters of Touhou Project. Please keep the character page guidelines in mind when contributing.|