- Welcome to Touhou Wiki!
- Account registration has been reopened! Register an account if you wish to edit.
Soga no Tojiko
Soga no Tojiko
soga no tod͡ʑiko (♫)
Tojiko Soga; Soga no Toziko
Soga no Tojiko in Ten Desires
More Character Titles
Dead (Existed for more than 1400 years)
Tojiko is considered a vengeful spirit as she is a ghost who holds a grudge against humans. Among other vengeful spirits, she seems to be a quite powerful one. It is stated, however, in Symposium of Post-mysticism, that her grudge seems to be going away, meaning that she's steadily becoming a simple ghost that causes thunder.
She is a very practical woman that can use coarse language, appearing to be a foil to Futo's airheaded, jovial nature. Though she has a quick temper and her attitude is rough, she is actually a very nice person. She doesn't seem to mind being a ghost as it's convenient for her.
- Causing thunder
Creating thunder is a common ability for vengeful spirits, and Tojiko frequently uses it when angered. As she is a powerful vengeful spirit, she can create the full effect of loud, booming thunder. As Taoism uses things like lightning, and since there is the borrowed power of the sorcery called the "thunder rites" (雷法), this may be a power that can be acquired and mastered as a Taoist.
Another theory is that the father of the character she is based on, Soga no Umako, built the temple Gangoji (元興寺), and the youkai of Gangoji, Gagoze (元興寺), who was exterminated by the child granted by the lightning god to a farmer, which is commonly thought to be the basis. (The Gagouji of the spell card Thunder Arrow "Gagouji's Cyclone" (meaning "monster" in child language) is based on Gagoze, but the folkloristics scholar Kunio Yanagita denied the etymology that "Gagouji" came from "Gagoze")
Iku Nagae also used lightning, but unlike Iku, Tojiko's ability is directly related to lightning (unlike Iku's "reading the atmosphere"). Different from Iku's lightning blasts, Tojiko's lightning came in the form of jagged arrangements of arrows.
In order to become a shikaisen, she prepared a jar to preserve her spirit in, much in the same way that Mononobe no Futo used a plate. However, Futo swapped the jar with an unfired one, which quickly decayed, causing Tojiko to become a ghost. She is not known to have any possessions at the moment.
The Soga clan was a family who waged a fierce political battle with the Mononobe clan over Buddhism. In particular, Soga no Umako and Mononobe no Moriya were two very influential courtiers to Emperor Bidatsu and his brother, Emperor Youmei, who was the father of Prince Shoutoku. Both Youmei and Shoutoku were proponents of Buddhism, which led to victory for Umako, whose forces killed Moriya and his allies in the Battle of Shigisan in 587.
The Fujiwara clan (of which Fujiwara no Mokou is based on) played an important role in taking down the Soga clan and removing the Soga clan's place as an influence to Japan as a whole. This event is known as the Isshi Incident (乙巳の変).
Her known name is Soga no Tojiko (蘇我 屠自古). Her last name Soga (蘇我) was taken from the Soga clan, but it can literally mean "Ego Awakening". Her first name Tojiko (屠自古) literally means "Your Ancient Carcass". Perhaps coincidentally, the first characters from her first name and surname, refer to tosa (屠蘇), a kind of spice sake served at New Year's.
- Ten Desires
Tojiko appears as the stage 5 midboss. The heroine fights her when she makes it into the Hall of Dreams' Great Mausoleum before fighting Mononobe no Futo. She also reappears alongside Toyosatomimi no Miko as you fight her in the fianl boss.
- Hopeless Masquerade
|Attention: This section is a stub and it needs expanding with more information related to the section's topic. If you canin any way, please do so.|
Leader of the group that she follows.
In addition to being Tojiko's supervisor/partner, she's also her friend whom she sometimes bickers with. Her friendship/rivalry between them lead Tojiko unable to reincarnate like her and Miko.
- Soga no Tojiko is the only humanoid ghost in the Windows Touhou Project to have a ghost tail rather than legs. Mima also has a ghost tail, but she's an Evil spirit, not a ghost, and is from the PC-98 canon.
- The Soga clan is said to be descended from Takenouchi no Sukune, Emperor Kougen and Amaterasu, so she is "the Descendant of the Gods."
- In real history, the Soga clan was overthrown from power in 645 during a coup d'état conspired by Nakatomi no Kamatari, founder of the Fujiwara clan, among others. Kamatari was later struck and killed by lightning, which people believed to be a curse laid by the late Soga clan; this is a possible inspiration for Tojiko's ability. Also, Kamatari's son, Fujiwara no Fuhito, is the speculated model of Fujiwara no Mokou's father.
- Tojiko's phrase "Yatteyanyo!" (やってやんよ!) during Toyosatomimi no Miko's spell card has become her catchphrase in many fanworks.
- She's often compared to Mima due to the ghost tail.
- Some fans anagrammatized her name to 自らを古(いにしえ)に屠る亡霊 (The ghost who buried herself in antiquity). It's related to this setting: "She had no use for a human body, which would break down so quickly".
- Tojiko is commonly paired with Mononobe no Futo (who works under her) or Toyosatomimi no Miko (their historical bases were romantically involved). With the latter, some fanworks create more close relationship between the two.
- Tojiko's ghost tails are often depicted as transitioning into skin aound the upper thigh. Some even show her to have legs.
|This page is part of Project Characters, a Touhou Wiki project that aims to write proper descriptions for all official characters of Touhou Project. Please keep the character page guidelines in mind when contributing.|