Account registration is currently disabled. Please visit our IRC channel and query an administrator to create a new account. Sorry for the inconvenience.
Touhou Puppet Play
Touhou Puppet Play
Single-player story mode
Game Boy Advance
Touhou Ningyougeki (東方人形劇, lit. "Touhou Puppet Play"), called in English Touhoumon, is a modification of Pokémon FireRed, replacing most of the 386 Pokémon with as many Touhou Project characters as possible. Several English variants have been released with the same premise, but differ in various ways from the original in terms of locations, levels, obtainable Touhoumon, and other details. This article will cover the various versions that are out for public release.
According to Touhou Puppet Play: Gensokyo Scenario: A long time ago, Patchouli Knowledge grew tired of Marisa Kirisame coming into the library and stealing her books. To stop these repeated thieving attempts, Patchouli made puppets with decent intelligence and power to keep the library safe. (She doesn't believe in Hong Meiling at all) Unfortunately, one of the tomes used to create the puppets had been stolen by Marisa and the thief herself created an army of puppets to overrun the puppets that Patchouli set up. When they came, Patchouli impatiently blew both armies of puppets and a part of the library away, including the remaining tomes. After the incident, puppets started reproducing and spread across the Gensokyo expanse. The inhabitants got used to having them around and, in time, they became like pets to everyone.
There are many variants of Touhou Puppet Play that make significant changes and additions to the game, often making them new games.
The Original Variants
These games are the two core versions of Touhou Puppet Play. They are the ones normally used to make hacks. Both of these games are hacks of the Japanese Pokémon FireRed.
Touhou Puppet Play 1.5x differed little from the original Pokémon game. Types were kept the same, some weaknesses were altered in terms of balance. It features all the Touhou characters up to Touhou 12.8, print works included, and has some additional forms as well (EX, Last Word, Final, Advent, Dark). This generation is the one that is most often hacked due to its familiarity.
Generation 1.5 Japanese Variants
These hacks are based off of the Japanese Touhou Puppet Play 1.5x.
- Touhou Puppet Play: Gensokyo Scenario - A Touhoumon hack of Pokémon FireRed. Takes place in Gensokyo with the player as Renko Usami or Maribel Hearn. It is playable up to around the Forest of Magic.
- Touhou Puppet Play: Lunatic - A "Hard Mode" Touhoumon hack based of Pokémon FireRed.
Generation 1.5 English Variants
These hacks are based off the English Touhou Puppet Play 1.5x.
- Touhoumon Merry's Version (also known as Touhoumon Aqua+Yui) - A Touhoumon hack of Pokémon FireRed. Is playable and is in active development.
- Touhoumon World Link - A Touhoumon hack of Pokémon Emerald. Includes additional Post Game content.
- Touhoumon Another World - A Touhoumon hack of Pokémon FireRed. An English Port of Touhou Puppet Play: Gensokyo Scenario, and is complete.
- Touhoumon: Marisa’s Magic World - A Touhoumon hack of Pokémon Ruby. It was developed to be a supplement in completing the Touhoudex in World Link and Another World.
- Touhou Puppet Play: Insane - A "Hard Mode" Touhoumon hack based off Pokémon FireRed.
- Touhou Puppet Play: Blue - A Touhoumon hack of Pokémon FireRed designed to be casual. HM roadblocks are removed, and gameplay involves very little actual grinding.
1.8 was a radical shift for Touhoumon, introducing a Physical/Special split akin to Diamond/Pearl, a new type chart, and streamlining evolutions. Instead of the old Chibi > Base > EX, almost everything starts at Chibi and evolves once, either by level or by using an evolutionary stone, which shift stat allocation and learnable moves around. Base stat totals are balanced around 470 to 560, and everything is viable in its own way. This is the generation being focused on by most people.
Generation 1.8 English Variants
These hacks are based off the English Touhou Puppet Play 1.8x.
- Touhoumon Emerald 1.812 - A Touhoumon hack of Pokémon Emerald. Fully playable and in active development. Includes a fully functional Battle Frontier.
- Touhou Puppet Play Enhanced - A Touhoumon hack of Pokémon FireRed. Mostly consistent of the original 1.8x version, but includes numerous content from unofficial patches (Johto, obtainable VIVIT).
These hacks fall into the other category due to changes that differ too extremely from 1.5x or 1.8x's mechanics to fall under either.
- Touhoumon Ordinary Version - A Touhoumon hack of Pokemon Silver. It is based off the 1.5 generation, but due to the limitations of the Generation II games, many things were excluded from the 1.5 Era.
- Touhoumon: Faith & Prayer Version - A Touhoumon game developed in RPG Maker XP. It runs 1.8 mechanics, with some additional Pokémon mechanics thrown in. Currently in active development.
|Touhoudex 1.5x||Index of information about the monsters in Touhoumon v1.5x|
|Touhoudex 1.8x||Index of information about the monsters in Touhoumon v1.8x|
|Locations||A list of Touhoumon Locations in v1.5x|
|Locations 2||A list of Touhoumon Locations in v1.8x|
|Type Chart||Charts that display type weaknesses and resistances|
|Unofficial Patches||List of unofficial patches with a short description|
|Effort Training||List of areas for Effort Value accumulation|
|Strategy||Analysis of battle strategy aspects|
|Attacks||A list of Touhoumon v1.8x attacks|
|Abilities||A list of Touhoumon v1.8x abilities|
- Japanese wiki for Touhou Puppet Play
- Touhou Puppet Play Western Community forums
- Touhou Puppet Play Original Soundtrack