Double Dealing Character demo will be released on Reitaisai 10 (May 26)!
Utsuho Reiuji in Touhou Hisoutensoku
More Character Titles
Okuu (おくう or お|
|Species||Hell raven (Yatagarasu)|
|Abilities||Manipulation of nuclear fusion|
|Occupation||Regulator of the flames in the former Hell of Blazing Fires|
|Location||The former Hell of Blazing Fires|
|Show Music Themes|
|Show Official Game appearances|
|Show Print Work appearances|
Utsuho Reiuji (霊烏路 空) is one of Satori's pets. A Hell raven who has lived in the underground world since before it was separated from Hell. Her job is to regulate the flames of the Hell of Blazing Fires.
Her abilities come from the god of nuclear fusion, Yatagarasu, and were granted to her by Kanako in the god's attempt to turn the Hell of Blazing Fires into an energy source for Gensokyo. Essentially, this means that Utsuho's own body actually houses a divine spirit, technically making her into a branch shrine for Yatagarasu. Apparently, the duller the holder of the power, the better they can utilize it.
Utsuho's job is to manage the temperature inside the Hell of Blazing Fires, by either opening the skylight above the Hell of Blazing Fires's courtyard to lower the temperature, or feeding the fires with the corpses carried by Orin.
Her full name is Utsuho Reiuji (霊烏路 空). The characters for Reiuji (霊烏路) literally mean, in succession, "soul/spirit", "crow/raven", and "path". Utsuho (空) means "emptiness/empty-hole/cave" in old Japanese. It would be supposed to be pronounced as "utsuo" if we did after the old style. A similar case is Sanae's position "hofuri" v.s. "hōri". They are examples of Japanese counterparts of spelling pronunciation. The character for Utsuho also means "sky", and can be pronounced "kuu" in a compound word. Hence her nickname Okuu (おくう), which was first used by Rin Kaenbyou to refer to Utsuho in the Extra Stage prologue. At first, only the "おくう" spelling used in Subterranean Animism was considered canon and "お空" (spelling using the kanji from her actual name) was not, but after Aya Shameimaru called her "お空" in the comment of scene 8-6 in Double Spoiler, both became canon. Also, "O-kuu" (おくう) is a pun of "Oku-u" (屋烏, meaning "a crow standing on a roof"), although this is not likely to be intentional.
DesignUtsuho has long dark brown hair. Wears a white short-sleeved shirt with a red "eye" in the center, a short green skirt, and a green hair-ribbon.
On the Interview of Cara☆Mel vol.8, ZUN mentioned that he tried to keep her from being indecent during the design process by adding a cannon on her arm instead of having an additional leg, thus solving the analogy of the third leg of the Yatagarasu. 
- Subterranean Animism
Before the events of Subterranean Animism, she was told by a voice that she could swallow the god, Yatagarasu, that was hidden in the flames to gain a power that would fulfill the wishes of both the worlds below and above the surface. This power was nuclear fusion. Utsuho misunderstood what the voice had told her, and decided that, using these powers, she would take over Gensokyo. Her friend, Rin Kaenbyou, became worried about Utsuho, and drove evil spirits to the surface to cause an incident among the strong youkai above ground, in hope that they would come down to do something about it and, when they got there, defeat Utsuho and bring her back to her former self. What came, however, was not a strong youkai, but a strong human.
- Undefined Fantastic Object
In Undefined Fantastic Object, it is revealed that the geyser she created with her newfound powers wound up blowing Byakuren Hijiri's ship out from the underground and into the sky, thus starting the plot of that game.
- Touhou Hisoutensoku
- Wild and Horned Hermit
She's one of Satori Komeiji's pets. In order to maintain the Hell of Blazing Fires and Palace of Earth Spirits working in proper order, Satori appointed various jobs to her pets.
Utsuho and Rin Kaenbyou are really old friends, since before the Underground separated from Hell. They've known each other even before Satori started taking care of them.
She is her master Satori's younger sister.
She tells Utsuho in a dream to consume Yatagarasu and this gives her nuclear powers. However, she misunderstands her and uses these powers in a attempt to take over Gensokyo which causes the events of Subterranean Animism.
- A silhouette of Utsuho occupies the front of Subterranean Animism's jewel case.
- In ancient Chinese mythology, the three-legged crow is a mythical animal associated with the Sun, thought to be its guardian beast or, more often, the manifestation of the Sun's deity. This explains Utsuho's nuclear fusion power and association with heat.
- This myth of the three-legged crow and the fact that the crow tengu Aya Shameimaru calls her "hell crow" twice may be why people refer to her as a crow, even though she's a raven. (Actually, most Japanese don't distinguish raven from crow, except zoologists and curious people. The fact that both raven and crow are from the corvus genus doesn't help.)
- The red eye is proof that Utsuho obtained the power of fusion by absorbing the three-legged crow (Yatagarasu) because the three-legged crow's eyes are red, according to Chapter Three of Cage in Lunatic Runagate.
- Her "Third Leg" resembles an arm cannon. In Touhou Hisoutensoku, it is used as one.
- Utsuho appears to be the only final boss in a Windows game whose goal is explicitly conquering the world. A very common goal for villains in cartoons.
- Utsuho is also the only final boss in a Windows game who is a subordinate of an earlier boss (Satori).
- Utsuho's spell cards "Giga Flare" and "Mega Flare" share the name of the attacks used by the summon Bahamut of the Final Fantasy series.
- "Unyu?" (うにゅ?) has become her trademark sound, ever since she said it in the Extra Stage back story.
- Utsuho is one of the 2 only bosses in a Windows game that gives the player a warning before the spellcard begins. "☢ CAUTION!! ☢" appears for a few moments with Klaxons blaring in the background. The other one belongs to Koishi, which warning Klaxons blare in the background in the "Philosophy of a Hated Person" spellcard.
- In Utsuho's Spell Cards, the background behind the trefoil is a photo of the Carina Nebula.
- Utsuho's spell card background also features a real-world picture of a cat on the trefoil. One reason ZUN might have included this in the background could be because of the wild cats that have colonized the abandoned city of Pripyat'. Pripyat' was the town created for the families of workers at Chernobyl, and after the catastrophe there the population was evacuated. Recent excursions back into the ghost town lead to the discovery of a small community of irradiated wild cats that live comfortably in the foundations of abandoned homes.
- Furthering the Chernobyl links, Utsuho could be a reference to the so-called Black Bird of Chernobyl not only because of her massive black wings, but also because the red eye in her chest, which was another trait of the Black Bird.
- In Story of Eastern Wonderland's Stage 4, in the second part of the background, there was an orange-like shine that was shaped like the orb that Utsuho points to in her Subterranean Animism portrait.
- Two of her alternate palettes in Touhou Hisoutensoku resembles her master Satori and Satori's sister Koishi.
- Another palette resembles Kanako Yasaka.
- Her right foot is supposed to be encased in concrete (representing either the concrete sarcophagus that was built to contain the Chernobyl reactor or the cement-like corium found inside), but is often depicted in fan art as a gray ruffled legwarmer or an armored greave. The electrons orbiting her other leg are also often omitted in fanart, and sometimes the control rod on her arm is too.
- Her sprite animations in Touhou Hisoutensoku greatly resemble and are most likely a homage to Souther of Hokuto no Ken fame, even having a spellcard attack similar to Souther's Fatal K.O., Nanto Hō-ōh Ken Ougi: Tenshou Juuji Hou. Because of this fans sometimes call that spellcard Nanto Hō-Ōkuu Ken Ougi: Tenshou Juuji Hou.
- Because Utsuho is manipulated by Kanako, seems to have a simple and boastful personality, and is called a "birdbrain" (鳥頭 toriatama, interestingly the phrase "bird's brain" means "idiot" in both English and Japanese) by Orin, she's often considered an idiot by fans. ZUN also indirectly calls her an idiot in her theme song's description. This leads to comparisons with Cirno (or pairings, with inevitable "Cold Fusion" jokes), and Utsuho is sometimes called お⑨ (read "okuu," since one reading for the number 9 is "ku"). She is also sometimes called ⑥ (an inverted ⑨) since she is a Stage 6 boss and her powers are the opposite of Cirno's.
- In Touhou Hisoutensoku, the idea of Utsuho being an idiot is corroborated. In Sanae's story, she is called birdbrained by Sanae, forgot why she was fighting her in the first place, and then follows Sanae's orders after being told she was doing that. This was also stated in Reisen's script, who called her a moron. Akyuu also mentioned in her Symposium of Post-mysticism article that she's a birdbrain.
- In addition to her tall stature, fans tend to give her a shapely figure, which contrasts her simpleminded (and sometimes childish) personality.
- This sometimes leads to humorous situations in fanart and doujins for other people.
- In the Japanese community, the pairing of her and Tenshi is called as the tenkuu (天空, lit. "firmament/sky") pair, a word that could be made by borrowing their kanji from their first-name: Tenshi (天子) + Utsuho (空, also read as "kuu"").
- Some fans in the Japanese community associate Utsuho with soccer, because the symbol of the Japan Football Association is Yatagarasu.
- Interview on Subterranean Animism with Cara☆Mel (Nico Nico Video link)