Account registration is currently disabled. Please visit our IRC channel and query an administrator to create a new account. Sorry for the inconvenience.
Wriggle Nightbug in Imperishable Night
More Character Titles
|Abilities||Manipulation of insects|
|Show Music Themes|
|Show Official Game appearances|
|Show Print Work appearances|
Wriggle Nightbug (リグル・ナイトバグ Riguru Naitobagu) is a firefly with the ability to control other insects. She likes using her ability to direct concerted performances for her own amusement, as well as to attack humans who underestimate her significance or the importance of insects in general.
Wriggle is classified as a firefly youkai, which is explained as having more survivability because humans are less likely to kill them. However, like other insects, she is weak to fire, cold, fumigation, and insect repellent. As an insect, she forgets about information that's no longer needed. She normally sticks around bushes, clumps of grass, and other places insects normally thrive.
Wriggle is quick to anger, and seems to take it personally when someone offends insects in any way. She is concerned about the decrease in the amount of insects lately, especially due to insecticide.
At one point, Wriggle was in charge of an insect delivery service. However, during the span of time between Aya's article and her interview, she stopped, and forgot all about it.
- Ability to control insects
Wriggle's main talent is the ability to control insects. It's unclear if this power is limited to only certain insects, however. She is seen manipulating various types of fireflies, as well as moths (which her spellcard calls "butterflies"). When she gets serious, she's also able to summon a swarm of harvest mites that can cause deadly fever in humans. In Perfect Memento in Strict Sense, Akyu also describes her as being able to control caterpillars, spiders, crickets, and other insects, so it is likely the type of insect doesn't matter.
"Wriggle" comes from the English word, which is commonly used to refer to bugs moving along the ground. "Nightbug" is a portmanteau of "night" and "bug"; the meaning is clear, as she is a firefly.
Wriggle has blue eyes, teal hair, and bug-like antennae. She wears a white shirt with stylized short sleeves, a black cape with red lining, which is shaped to resemble insect wings, and baggy blue knee-length shorts.
During the events of Imperishable Night, Wriggle attacks the player characters, thinking they'd be easy targets. However, the pair fights Wriggle off without breaking a sweat.
Wriggle used her manipulation of insects in order to start an "Insects' News Service," which would send large numbers of bugs to make announcements and deliver messages for clients if they supplied plans and a specific time in advance. Wriggle organized the service with the intent of improving the social status of bugs, but soon got tired of it and stopped providing it.
When interviewed later, Wriggle does not remember the service, because insects discard information that is no longer in use.
- Wriggle's cape and infamous kick appear to reference sentai heroes such as Kamen Rider, who has an insect motif (a trait shared by many of his successors)
- According to an interview with ZUN, Wriggle could have made an appearance in Touhou Hisoutensoku, however, she was eliminated from consideration due to time constraints.
- Wriggle's appearance and name are both quite androgynous compared to other characters, so it used to be a point of some contention whether Wriggle was a male or female character before the release of full version, her wearing shorts certainly didn't help either.
- The full version's official profile declared that she is, in fact, female. However, with lack of male presence in the series she is sometimes portrayed as male in R-rated fan material, with both writer and readers being fully aware that she is officially a girl. Additionally, she is often made fun of in fan comics by being depicted as a crossdresser--either as a girl that dresses like a boy or actually being a boy who's just pretending to be a girl.
- Due to insects being near the very bottom of the food chain, Wriggle is sometimes portrayed as "food" in some fan comics. In particular, she is portrayed as food for Yamame Kurodani, a spider youkai, or for Mystia Lorelei, a night sparrow (who in turn is food for Yuyuko Saigyouji, a glutton).
- In fan works, she is often seen with other lower level, childish characters such as Cirno, Rumia, and Mystia.
- She is occasionally called or labelled as "G" (short for gokiburi, or cockroach). Another common nickname for Wriggle is 「りぐるん」 (Rigurin), or "Wrigglin", similar in style to "Yukarin" for "Yukari".
- Pairings of her with Yuuka have become common. This could be because bugs pollinate flowers, they have similar hairstyles, or maybe ANGELTYPE is to blame.
- The pairing's dynamic is either loving or S&M-based with Yuuka being the S.
- A few fan materials occasionally use a mother/daughter relationship, but this isn't too common compared to above, though she's rarely shown to be a mother figure for "Team 9" (a nickname for the Cirno, Rumia, Mystia and Wriggle group)
- In Imperishable Night, the player can go up to the top of the screen and focus to collect items without being at full power (the Magic Team doesn't even have to focus to do this). Inexperienced players are sometimes caught off guard in the middle of stage 1 while trying to collect point items, and lose a life when Wriggle makes her entrance from the top of the screen, colliding with the player. This sudden fly-in from Wriggle is sometimes referred to as the "Wriggle Kick" in the fandom, and is parodied in fanart and fangames such as Touhou Soccer and Touhoumon.
- In the multiplayer game "League of Legends," there is an item called "Wriggle's Lantern," which is named after Wriggle Nightbug. 
- On Pixiv, June 4 appears to be designated Wriggle day.
- Nae Radio (September, 2009). "Interview on Nae Radio (September 2009)". http://en.touhouwiki.net/wiki/Interview_on_Nae_Radio_(September_2009). Retrieved 2 September, 2011.
|This page is part of Project Characters, a Touhou Wiki project that aims to write proper descriptions for all official characters of Touhou Project.|