Account registration is currently disabled. Please visit our IRC channel and query an administrator to create a new account. Sorry for the inconvenience.
Yuugi in Subterranean Animism
More Character Titles
|Abilities||Wielding unexplainable phenomena|
|Show Music Themes|
|Show Official Game appearances|
|Show Print Work appearances|
Yuugi Hoshiguma (星熊 勇儀 Hoshiguma Yuugi) is an oni currently living in the Ancient City, which is in the Underworld. She has an unexplainable ability. She was once one of the Big Four of the Mountain, along with Suika Ibuki, and she lives alongside many other oni that were forced below ground.
Yuugi is very a very firm and straightforward oni. She likes those who are strong and brave, and has no mercy for the weak and cowardly.
- The ability to wield unexplainable phenomena
Anomalies, strength, disorder, and spirits (怪力乱神, kai-ryoku-ran-shin) is a metaphor for unexplainable phenomena that originates from the Analects of Confucius, where one of his disciples said "the Master never talked of anomalies, strength, disorder, or spirits." (子不語怪力亂神) Furthermore, Yuugi's title is "the so-called unexplainable phenomenon".
More accurately, Confucius did not talk about unnatural things (怪異, strangeness), mysterious powers (勇力, courage), things contrary to reason (悖乱, devious rebellion), and strange things related to god (鬼神, fierce god). In other words, strangeness (怪異), courage (勇力), devious rebellion (悖乱), and fierce god (鬼神) are why 怪力乱神 is referred to as "anomalies, strength, disorder, and spirits." It is appropriately unclear what exactly this ability allows Yuugi to do, since the ability itself is a metaphor for things that cannot be explained.
Her very name, Yuugi (勇儀), might have come from the courage (勇力) that is represented as "strength" in "anomalies, strength, disorder, and spirits."
Yuugi spends her time in Former Hell, fraternizing with the other oni, engaging in frequent drinking contests and generally having a rowdy time.
Yuugi carries a sake dish called the "Hoshiguma Dish". It raises the quality of any sake poured into it. Kasen Ibaraki later uses this to transform some of her own sake for a party at the Hakurei Shrine. The dish itself is considered a masterwork of the oni.
Yuugi was one of the many youkai who moved into the underground when Gensokyo first became isolated from the Human World. She and the others didn't wish to be chained to the rules that were set up, and decided to move down there. Though a non-aggression pact had apparently been negotiated, Yuugi realized that she wasn't enjoying spending time with humans, so she took up residence in Former Hell to be with kindred spirits.
Yuugi Hoshiguma (星熊 勇儀) is her full name. The characters of Hoshiguma (星熊) mean "star" (星) and "bear" (熊). The characters in Yuugi mean (勇儀) "bravery" (勇) and "ritual" (儀).
In the legend of Shuten Douji, a particularly vicious oni who lived atop Mt. Ooeyama, one of Shuten Douji's four strongman demons was named Hoshiguma Douji. This may or may not be related to the character's concept.
Yuugi has long, straight blonde hair, red eyes, and a single red horn coming out of her forehead. She wears a white, short-sleeved shirt with red trim at the cuffs, neck, and bottom and a dark blue semi-transparent skirt with red highlights and trim. Her wrists and ankles are manacled, with short, broken chains attached to the manacles.
- Subterranean Animism
Along with many other Oni, Yuugi retreated to Hell after the humans above ground started avoiding them. They built their own society and lived there, in isolation, for a really long time.
When the heroine arrives at the Ancient City in Stage 3 of Subterranean Animism, Yuugi rushes out to meet her. After Yuugi's initial attack is repelled, she promises to lead the heroine to the Palace of the Earth Spirits in exchange for giving her a good fight.
- Hopeless Masquerade
Yuugi is one of the frequents to the battles going on above-ground. In Marisa's ending, she comes back the day after the incident is resolved, and sounds somewhat disappointed that the battles are over.
Yuugi is old friends with Suika, and presumably with the other two big oni of the mountain.
Kasen describes Yuugi as an acquaintance of hers in Wild and Horned Hermit when she used the oni's sake dish to make her own sake better.
- Like other oni, Yuugi is ridiculously strong and, in turn, likes strong people. She also enjoys drinking heavily and raising a ruckus.
- Yuugi Hoshiguma is thus far the only boss who stays around after her mid-boss defeat and remains in front of the player throughout the end of the stage, unless you count Mystia Lorelei, who begins the end-of-stage battle immediately after the mid-boss fight.
- The JoJo that was talked about in the interview, is Jonathan Joestar, whom at one point has to defeat an undead adversary while being tasked by his master William Anthonio Zeppeli to do so while holding a glass of wine, and to not spill a single drop. Marking Yuugi as yet another with a JoJo counterpart in ZUN's mind.
- According to an interview in Cara☆Mel for Cage in Lunatic Runagate 7, ZUN said the theme behind Yuugi was to make an energetic, oni-like oni, since there would be lots of oni in hell. [ ]
- In the same interview as mentioned above, the interviewer mentions that her clothes look kind of like a gym uniform and that it'd be easy to do exercises in them. Following that, ZUN also said that Yuugi's skirt actually was semi-transparent.
- For some reason, she is commonly called 「姐さん」 ("nee-san" or "ane-san") by fans.
- It may be related to how she comes off as a big sister figure to many other characters in fanworks.
- There was once a post on the Touhou Imageboard explaining why one can't judge characters's power levels from how powerful they are in game. The whole post was quite humorous because of its fairly bad grammar and typos, but the most amusing and memorable line was "SA : Yuugi only playing around woth you, her sake NOT EVEN DROP". This became a meme among Western fans.
- Yuugi is frequently portrayed as having a large bust size due to an unofficial promotional flyer by alphes before the release of Subterranean Animism.
- Ironically, the rest of alphes's official art isn't anywhere as shapely as that picture. The trend may have been inspired by the desire for contrast with Suika or, later on, Parsee... that or the desire for a powerful/shapely Oni.
- It has been revealed that Alphes has a preference for curves (as can been seen often on the front page of Tasofro's website), with ZUN's guidelines keeping it in check. This may be a case of Alphes being able to indulge in his preference with official.
- The bust size and outfit return in an actual official game with Hopeless Masquerade, where Yuugi can be seen wearing that outfit with bust to match in the background of the Human Village stage. Suika also wears a similar outfit, but without the similar measurements.
- Yuugi is frequently paired in fan works with Parsee Mizuhashi despite there being no official indication that they've even met.
- Fans often depict her in a gym outfit that swaps her skirt for school gym shorts.
- Another common depiction of her is as an extremely muscular woman, which is in tune with her great physical strength.
- 2008/12/25 Interview on Subterranean Animism with Cara☆Mel (Nico Nico Video link)
|This page is part of Project Characters, a Touhou Wiki project that aims to write proper descriptions for all official characters of Touhou Project.|