- 1 Main Profile
- 2 Fun Facts
- 3 Official Profiles
- 4 Book Synopsis
|Alternate spellings:||Chirno, Chiruno|
|Abilities:||Manipulation of cold|
|Age:||Implied to be over 60, though she is a child in youkai terms|
|Location:||Cold areas, Misty Lake near Scarlet Devil Mansion|
|Titles:||See Character Titles|
Cirno is an ice fairy. While she is described as a weak boss in the Touhou series, if we consider the power of average fairies - who appear often as regular enemies - we can certainly say she is exceptionally strong for her kind. Her personality is childish, as you might expect from her appearance, and she is sometimes considered stupid.
During the events of Embodiment of Scarlet Devil, she attacked the player, who was just passing by, out of instinctive aggression. She was helplessly shot down.
In Perfect Cherry Blossom, she returned to take revenge for her previous fight, but was only a mid-boss and was easily defeated like one...
In Phantasmagoria of Flower View, Cirno aimlessly wanders about, apparently unconcerned by the flower incident for any reason other than the flowers being something else for her to freeze and play with. Through her dialog, her true childish nature is revealed, leaving no doubt that she really isn't smart at all. She really wasn't meaning to do anything but play games.
In Touhou Hisoutensoku, Cirno is intrigued by what she believes to be the great Daidarabotchi, hoping to tame it so that she won't be afraid of anything anymore. She shows more intelligence than in the previous game, as she has lost her habit of starting fights and admits that she is incapable of defeating the Daidarabotchi if it lives in the hot spring's boiler, since it is too hot for her.
- Cirno is known for her childishness (read: stupidity), so the term "Cirno" is often used instead of "baka"(バカ, fool) as a joke in the Japanese Touhou community. Apparently, even ZUN himself isn't an exception; in the manual for Phantasmagoria of Flower View, she is labeled as "9. Moron" in an explanation of the game screen's layout.
- She was again labeled as such in the manual for Touhou Hisoutensoku.
- Due to the infamous manual screenshot, Cirno has been nicknamed "Nine-ball" or simply "⑨".
- The date "09-09-09" (Wednesday September 9 2009 09:09:09, more specifically) has been named "Cirno Day" for obvious reasons. For some reason, numerous aspects of this day everything could be translated into or connected with nine. For example: September 9 is the 252nd day of the year and 2 + 5 + 2 = 9, you need 9 letters to type "Wednesday" or "September", and Japan's timezone is +9. Other names for this day include "The Strongest Day" and "⑨ Day".
- Due to becoming a meme, Cirno is now one of the most popular characters of the Touhou Project. Many fans now portray her, jokingly or seriously, as a misunderstood child or even as an outright genius in disguise, or as a bumbling idiot who messes up what everyone else is doing.
- However, Cirno can read, unlike some of her peers, such as Mystia Lorelei. Perhaps she isn't the top idiot in Gensokyo. She can also count (she shows knowledge of rounding and fractions in Fairy Wars).
- Cirno's favorite hobby is freezing a frog instantly, then watching it revive as it thaws in the water. She tends to fail one out of every 3 attempts, however, and the poor amphibian shatters to pieces. Because of this, many fans consider Suwako Moriya to have a rivalry with Cirno, owing to Suwako's affinity with frogs.
- In fan works, she is often seen with other lower-level, childish characters such as Daiyousei, Rumia, Mystia, and Wriggle. This group is often known as "Team ⑨" in fandom, and are usually led by Cirno herself. Without Daiyousei, that group is often called the "bakartet", a combination of "baka" and "quartet".
- In other fan works, she is shown with Letty Whiterock, who is considered as a close friend, guardian, or mentor series. This is partly due to the fact that she appears as a midboss in Letty's stage in Perfect Cherry Blossom, and partly because they share similar abilities, the manipulation of cold temperature and ice.
- However, Letty makes remark about a "certain fairy" in her interview that could be interpreted as somewhat derogatory towards Cirno or her abilities.
- Cirno may be over 60 years old, as she was one of the only characters in Phantasmagoria of Flower View to know instantly what was happening, declaring, "It's the festival that happens once every sixty years!" Although she was too naive to know it wasn't a festival, she appears to have been the very first character to recognize this as the year of the 60-year cycle. Even the ancient flower youkai Yuuka took until stage 6 of her own scenario to realize what year it was, while Cirno knew it from stage 1 of Reisen's scenario.
- Cirno's catchphrase in doujin works, "I'm the strongest!", comes from her dialogue in PoFV, in which she announces this in her scenario, while being everyone else's stage one boss. She also says it when winning against herself in Phantasmagoria of Flower View and in Hisoutensoku.
- She appears as the silhouette on the jewel case of Touhou Hisoutensoku and Fairy Wars. She is not the final boss in either of them.
- She is the only character to appear as the silhouette for two games' jewel cases in the Windows games
- Some fans have made connections between her and Mai due to their similar fairy-like appearances and their manipulation of ice. She even as a palette in Touhou Hisoutensoku that resembles Mai.
- Ever since CNN featured the shadow art video Bad Apple!! together with its stop motion counterpart, it has been renamed "Cirno News Network" by some of the Touhou community. This is because of one reporter's incorrect assessment of the stop-motion video as depicting how the CG shadow art video was made.
- Other (fan-made) versions of Cirno are Achi Cirno (Fire Cirno) and Advent Cirno (parody of Cloud Strife).
Embodiment of Scarlet Devil - おまけ.txt
|Ice Fairy of the Lake
Ability: Manipulation of cold
Stage 2 boss. A girl of snow.
She likes playing tricks and often toys with frogs. She freezes them instantly, then watches them revive as they thaw in the water. She tends to fail one out of every 3 attempts, however, and the poor amphibian shatters to pieces.
Perfect Cherry Blossom - キャラ設定.txt
|Youkai of the Ice
Stage 1 midboss, a youkai of ice that likes cold places.
Her main ability is the manifestation and manipulation of cold.
She didn't have any specific reason for attacking Reimu and company, so she attacked them just for being there.
Cirno radiates chilling air from herself, so the air around her is always cold. Even in spring. And autumn as well.
Phantasmagoria of Flower View - Demo Manual
Phantasmagoria of Flower View - キャラ設定.txt
|Small Ice Fairy, Cirno
Ability: Manipulation of Cold
An ice fairy who usually stays at the lake, which is like her headquarters. She's basically just a fairy, so she's an idiot who loves pranks.
Since the flowers are blooming so much, lots of people are coming to the lake; this leads to the fairies being even more troublesome than usual, so she decided to join them and be a bother as well.
| ○氷の妖精 チルノ
勿論、実際には山よりも遥かに小さいのだが、 視覚から感じる印象は大差はない。 すぐに霧に包まれ見えなくなってしまったが、彼女は確信していた。 アレは、大妖怪「だいだらぼっち」に違いない。
普段はどこに住んでいるのか判らないが、 珍しい妖怪を見たと興奮したのもつかの間 妖怪の山から巫女が下りてきた。
|Ice Fairy, Cirno
The small fairy was as agitated as usual. Because today, she had seen something bigger than the mountain.
Of course, in reality, it was much smaller than the mountain, but from her impression, there wasn't that big of a difference. It was soon hidden in mist and disappeared from sight, but she was certain. It was definitely the great youkai "Daidarabocchi".
She didn't know where it normally lived, but a moment after she became excited by seeing a rare youkai, the shrine maiden descended from the Youkai Mountain.
"Have you seen any giant robo... anything big moving around here?"
Asking that, the shrine maiden started searching in the mist.
The small fairy found itself driven on by an odd irritation, thinking that she saw it first, so it was her thing.
"I didn't see any Daidarabocchi."
Saying that, she diverted the shrine maiden. From nothing more than simple curiosity, she decided to search for the great youkai here.
Great Fairy Wars
|Cirno Great Fairy Wars|
Bohemian Archive in Japanese Red
- Main article: Article and Interview: Cirno
Cirno's hobby of freezing amphibians goes too far when she encounters a giant toad out for revenge (also see Perfect Memento: Giant Toad's Pond.) She is swallowed whole, but manages to escape when she freezes the giant toad's insides. In a statement to the newspaper, she claims that she doesn't freeze frogs for fun, but for "ice training"; Aya doesn't buy it.
The interview consists mostly of Cirno complaining about the contemptuous tone of the article.
Perfect Memento in Strict Sense
- Main article: Perfect Memento in Strict Sense: Cirno
- It is unknown where Cirno lives, but it is assumed that it is around the Misty Lake, since she is often sighted there.
- There are several accounts of people finding frozen frogs and fish by the lake.
- If one is attacked by Cirno, the best defense is to talk calmly to her, and ask her a riddle.
- No matter how easy the riddle, there will be enough time to flee while she tries to figure out the answer.
The Grimoire of Marisa
- Main article: The Grimoire of Marisa: Cirno's Spell Cards
- Insert Summary Here