Impossible Spell Card
Impossible Spell Card
Full: May 11, 2014 (Reitaisai 11)
Single-player puzzle Danmaku shooting Game
Danmaku Amanojaku ~ Impossible Spell Card (弾幕アマノジャク ～ Impossible Spell Card) is a danmaku game and the 14.3rd official installment of the Touhou Project, featuring Seija Kijin as the protagonist. The game was released at Reitaisai 11. As the title implies, it is a spinoff game consisting mostly of (near-)impossible-to-beat spell cards.
This is the first official Touhou Project work that does not bear Touhou (東方) in its title.
The player controls Seija Kijin, who's using a total of nine different "cheat" items to survive and clear the spell cards. Two items can be selected before the spell card, and has a maximum amount of uses during the card.
The items are:
- Bloodthirsty Yin-Yang Orb (血に餓えた陰陽玉), allowing her to teleport,
- Tengu's Toy Camera (天狗のトイカメラ), allowing her to clear bullets using photographs,
- Gap Folding Umbrella (隙間の折りたたみ傘), allowing her to teleport to the other side of the screen (vertical and horizontal),
- A Miracle Mallet Replica (打ち出の小槌（レプリカ）), allowing her to swipe the space in front of her, dealing damage to the boss if she is close enough,
- a Substitute Jizo (身代わり地蔵), allowing her to survive one hit,
- a Cursed Decoy Doll (呪いのデコイ人形), allowing her to lead aimed bullets away,
- a Four-Foot Magic Bomb (四尺マジックボム), allowing her to clear bullets,
- a Ghastly Send-Off Lantern (亡霊の送り提灯), allowing her to become invincible for a limited amount of time,
- and a Nimble Fabric (ひらり布), allowing her to become invincible for a short amount of time, during which she can't move or shoot.
Each item also has a separate, passive effect when equipped as a sub-item.
Name and Concept
The Japanese part of the title refers to the playable character of the game, Seija Kijin.
The soundtrack of Impossible Spell Card features a total of nine tricks. Four of these were directly taken from previous games, all used during dialogue within a spell card. The other themes, aside from the title screen, plays during any other spell card.
The game was announced by ZUN on April 12th, 2014, near the end of the internet broadcast "Chotto Summit ~ The Drinking Party of Indie Game Developers", showcasing the promotional video later uploaded at Youtube. A few weeks before the release, ZUN posted some info about the game and it's release on his blog.
The full game was later released at Reitaisai 11 on May 11, 2014.