Impossible Spell Card
Impossible Spell Card
Full: May 11, 2014 (Reitaisai 11)
Single-player puzzle Danmaku shooting Game
Danmaku Amanojaku ~ Impossible Spell Card (弾幕アマノジャク ～ Impossible Spell Card) is a danmaku game and the 14.3rd official installment of the Touhou Project, featuring Seija Kijin as the protagonist. The game was released at Reitaisai 11. As the title implies, it is a spinoff game consisting mostly of (near-)impossible-to-beat spell cards.
The player controls Seija Kijin, who's using a total of nine different "cheat" items to survive and clear the spell cards. Two items can be selected before the spell card, and has a maximum amount of uses during the card. Each item also has a separate, passive effect when equipped as a sub-item.
The items are:
- Bloodthirsty Yin-Yang Orb (血に餓えた陰陽玉), allowing her to teleport,
- Its passive is decreasing her hitbox.
- Tengu's Toy Camera (天狗のトイカメラ), allowing her to clear bullets using photographs,
- Its passive is increasing her movement speed.
- Gap Folding Umbrella (隙間の折りたたみ傘), allowing her to teleport to the other side of the screen (vertical and horizontal),
- When used as a sub-item, it allows 3 uses of itself (this takes priority over the main-item if pressing against the wall).
- A Miracle Mallet Replica (打ち出の小槌（レプリカ）), allowing her to swipe the space in front of her, dealing damage to the boss if she is close enough,
- Its passive is increasing the amount of times the main-item can be used (or in the case of the Tengu's Toy Camera, Four-Foot Magic Bomb, and Ghastly Send-Off Lantern, it increases their proficiency).
- a Substitute Jizo (身代わり地蔵), allowing her to survive one hit,
- When used as a sub-item, it allows 1 uses of itself.
- a Cursed Decoy Doll (呪いのデコイ人形), allowing her to lead aimed bullets away,
- Its passive is increasing bullet spread.
- a Four-Foot Magic Bomb (四尺マジックボム), allowing her to clear bullets,
- Its passive is whenever she uses the main-item, bullets around her are destroyed.
- a Ghastly Send-Off Lantern (亡霊の送り提灯), allowing her to become invincible for a limited amount of time,
- Its passive is allowing item use in the same way of counter-bombing.
- and a Nimble Fabric (ひらり布), allowing her to become invincible for a short amount of time, during which she can't move or shoot,
- When used as a sub-item, it allows 2 uses of itself, but only when the main-item is unusable.
Name and Concept
This is the first official Touhou Project work that does not bear the kanji Touhou (東方) in its title. The Japanese part of the title starts with "danmaku" (弾幕), referring to the main theme of the game, while Amanojaku (アマノジャク) refers to the playable character's species: Seija Kijin.
Following the events of Double Dealing Character, Seija Kijin has become a wanted amanojaku in Gensokyo. There has been signs saying that whoever captures her wins an reward. Since Seija has become a rebel, youkai have decided to use spell cards that's considered impossible to dodge, but Seija is determined to not give up and decides to cheat using the said items.
The soundtrack of Impossible Spell Card features a total of nine tracks. Four of these were directly taken from previous games, all used during dialogue within a spell card. The other themes, aside from the title screen, play during any other spell card.
The game was announced by ZUN on April 12th, 2014, near the end of the internet broadcast "Chotto Summit ~ The Drinking Party of Indie Game Developers", showcasing the promotional video later uploaded at Youtube. A few weeks before the release, ZUN posted some info about the game and it's release on his blog.
The full game was later released at Reitaisai 11 on May 11, 2014.