Impossible Spell Card
Impossible Spell Card
Full: May 11, 2014 (Reitaisai 11)
Single-player puzzle Danmaku shooting Game
Danmaku Amanojaku ~ Impossible Spell Card (弾幕アマノジャク ～ Impossible Spell Card) is a danmaku game and the 14.3rd official installment of the Touhou Project, featuring Seija Kijin as the protagonist. The game was released at Reitaisai 11. As the title implies, it is a spinoff game consisting mostly of (near-)impossible-to-beat spell cards.
The player controls Seija Kijin, who uses a total of nine different "cheat" items to survive and clear spell cards. Before each card, Seija is equipped with a main item and possibly also a sub-item. The main item grants an activated ability with a limited number of uses while the sub-item grants a passive effect.
The items are:
- Bloodthirsty Yin-Yang Orb (血に餓えた陰陽玉)
- Main Ability: allows Seija to teleport in front of the boss, but the X button can be hold and moved around.
- Passive Ability: making her hitbox smaller.
- Tengu's Toy Camera (天狗のトイカメラ)
- Main Ability: allows her to clear bullets using photographs.
- Passive Ability: increases her movement speed.
- Gap Folding Umbrella (隙間の折りたたみ傘)
- Main Ability: allows her to teleport to the other side of the screen (vertical and horizontal); and holding the button will keep Seija hidden for a short period of time on the side she had teleported to.
- Passive Ability: it allows 3 uses of itself (this takes priority over the main-item if pressing against the wall, but if it is used as both main and sub-item, the main will be used first), but you are not able to hid yourself when teleported.
- A Miracle Mallet Replica (打ち出の小槌（レプリカ）)
- Main Ability: allows her to swipe the space in front of her, dealing damage to the boss if she is close enough.
- Passive Ability: increases the amount of times the main-item can be used, or in the case of the Tengu's Toy Camera, Four-Foot Magic Bomb, and Ghastly Send-Off Lantern, it increases their proficiency.
- Substitute Jizo (身代わり地蔵)
- Main Ability: allows her to survive one hit.
- Passive Ability: it allows 1 use of itself but the invincibility time after being hit is shortened.
- Cursed Decoy Doll (呪いのデコイ人形)
- Main Ability: allows her to lead aimed bullets away, meaning that every bullet nomally homing onto Seija will be aimed at the Doll.
- Passive Ability: increases the bullet shot spread, covering a wider area.
- Four-Foot Magic Bomb (四尺マジックボム)
- Main Ability: after being released the bomb while stay activating and, after a while, it will explode clearing all the bullets around it.
- Passive Ability: whenever Seija uses any of the main-items, bullets around her are erased by a explosion.
- Ghastly Send-Off Lantern (亡霊の送り提灯)
- Main Ability: allows her to become invincible for a limited amount of time.
- Passive Ability: allows item use in the same way as counter-bombing.
- Nimble Fabric (ひらり布)
- Main Ability: allows her to hide in the nimble, thus becoming invincible for a short amount of time, during which she can't move nor shoot.
- Passive Ability: it allows 2 uses of itself, but only when the main-item is unusable.
Name and Concept
This is the first official Touhou Project work that does not bear the kanji Touhou (東方) in its title. The Japanese part of the title starts with "danmaku" (弾幕), referring to the main theme of the game, while Amanojaku (アマノジャク) refers to the playable character's species: Seija Kijin. The term "Impossible Spell Card" is describing what the game is about: dodging danmaku that's considered impossible, but are actually possible since there's a trophy that can be achieved if clearing all spell cards without "cheating".
Following the events of Double Dealing Character, Seija Kijin has become a wanted amanojaku in Gensokyo. There has been signs saying that whoever captures her wins an reward. Since Seija has become a rebel, youkai have decided to use spell cards that's considered impossible to dodge, but Seija is determined to not give up and decides to cheat using the said items.
The soundtrack of Impossible Spell Card features a total of nine tracks. Four of these were directly taken from previous games, all used during dialogue within a spell card. The other themes, aside from the title screen, play during any other spell card.
The game was announced by ZUN on April 12th, 2014, near the end of the internet broadcast "Chotto Summit ~ The Drinking Party of Indie Game Developers", showcasing the promotional video later uploaded at Youtube. A few weeks before the release, ZUN posted some info about the game and it's release on his blog.
The full game was later released at Reitaisai 11 on May 11, 2014.