Keine Kamishirasawa in Imperishable Night
More Character Titles
Schoolteacher; acts as guardian of the human village
The Human Village
The kanji characters for Keine translate loosely to "Wise sound" while Kamishirasawa literally means "Upper stream of a white valley." However, the Kamishirasawa kanji can be read as "ue hakutaku" or "uwa-hakutaku" and so likely a pun by ZUN when he named the "Were-Hakutaku" character. "Keine" is also a declensional form of the German word of negative article or negative determiner. Example: "Keine Gurken gibts im Kühlschrank" ("No cucumbers are in the refrigerator"). Although the two words are pronounced differently, Keine's name used in this manner may also be a reference to her ability to negate history.
In her human form, Keine has brown eyes and long silver hair with blue highlights. She wears a hat that looks like some kind of building with a red ribbon on top and glyphs inscribed along its side. Her dress is dark blue with white short sleeves, and a red ribbon is tied to the bottom of the collar. In her hakutaku form she has red eyes, long silver hair with green highlights, and horns. Her left horn is decorated with a red ribbon. Her dress is dark green with white short sleeves, and a red ribbon is tied to the bottom of the collar.
Keine is the owner and history teacher of the Human Village's school. The village children think her lessons are tough and boring. It doesn't help that the punishment her students will get for forgetting their homework is a headbutt, which is particularly painful on the night of the full moon.
Keine can erase history while human and create history while a hakutaku. However, Akyuu notes that Keine's abilities are unable to change the contents of the Gensokyo Chronicles.
A common mistake about her abilities is people mistake the ability of hakutaku-Keine as to be able to erase a piece of history; however, her ability in her hakutaku form is to create it, and in humanoid form is to eat (or conceal) it, not to erase it.
- Imperishable Night
During Imperishable Night, Keine, being sensitive to the moon herself, sensed the strange events that were occurring. As a safeguard, she hid the Human Village's history, making it as if there had never been a village there to begin with, so that the inhabitants would be protected from any youkai. After being defeated, Keine pointed the heroines toward the ones responsible for the fake moon in the sky. Later, during the Extra Stage, Keine acted as guardian of Fujiwara no Mokou and attempts to stop the player from reaching and facing Mokou.
She is also a teacher and respected person in the Human Village.
She is friends with Fujiwara no Mokou.
Her relationship with Akyuu is unknown, though it is presumed to be her fellow scholar.
- Keine seems to have a strong desire to protect humans and would probably be the safest person in Gensokyo for any human to be around.
- Keine fits the description in Perfect Memento in Strict Sense of one who acquired therianthropy, rather than one who was born with it. Her transformation into a were-hakutaku is not a full body-transformation, which she points out to Yukari in Imperishable Night, whereas one who is born as a were-beast takes on a full body beast form during a full moon. If this is the case, it would mean Keine was once human but cursed to be a were-hakutaku.
- Most of her spell cards are based on the history of the Emperor of Japan.
- Keine is the only character in Imperishable Night to have 2 Last Word Spell Cards rather than 1.
- Some members of the Touhou community have jested that Keine's hat resembles a bento box or a house.
- Since she has the ability to change history, some fans make jokes about her having relationships with characters that never came out in any of the games, such as Rin Satsuki.
- As a teacher, she is commonly addressed by the respectful title of 「慧音先生」 or "Keine-sensei".
- In some fan works, Keine is referred to as a cow (complete with milk jokes), due to her appearance in hakutaku form.
- She also tends to be depicted with large breasts with the above as one of the reasons.
- Etymology of CAVED!!!!
- The word "horu" in Japanese means to dig, but another meaning of the word is to have anal sex or gay sex. Some fans thought that Keine would go crazy due to her metamorphosis from the light of a full moon and try to shove one of her horns into someone's anus. One day, some Touhou, or Cave (also famous their shooting games) fan translated a nonsense line, "caved caved! caved!! caved!!! caved!!!!", from English into Japanese in a machine translation site]. The result was "horaremashita. ochikomimashita! ochikomimashita!! ochikomimashita!!! horareta!!!!" (screwed. depressed! depressed!! depressed!!! screwed!!!!). This spread elsewhere because the translation was so silly. When some fans heard it, they associated "screwed" with EX-Keine's attacking others' rear ends. This was posted on 2ch and it became famous. When someone writes something that contains the phrase "horu," they would be summarily raped by EX-Keine. "Horu" got word filtered to "caved!!!!!!!!" in English translations, and so you get "I got CAVED by EX-Keine!!!!!!!!" But because that bad translation was fixed after some time, and because there were people who hated it, Caved!!!! has become less popular.
<toggledisplay showtext="Show spell cards" hidetext="Hide spell cards">
|産霊「ファーストピラミッド」||Spiritual Birth "First Pyramid"||IN||St. 3: E/N/H/L|
|始符「エフェメラリティ137」||Origin Sign "Ephemerality 137"||IN||St. 3: N/H/L|
|野符「武烈クライシス」||Ambition Sign "Buretsu Crisis"||IN||St. 3: E|
|野符「将門クライシス」||Ambition Sign "Masakado Crisis"||IN||St. 3: N|
|野符「義満クライシス」||Ambition Sign "Yoshimitsu Crisis"||IN||St. 3: H|
|野符「GHQクライシス」||Ambition Sign "General Headquarters Crisis"||IN||St. 3: L|
|国符「三種の神器 剣」||Land Sign "Three Sacred Treasures - Sword"||IN
|St. 3: E|
|国符「三種の神器 玉」||Land Sign "Three Sacred Treasures - Orb"||IN
|St. 3: N|
|国符「三種の神器 鏡」||Land Sign "Three Sacred Treasures - Mirror"||IN
|St. 3: H|
|国体「三種の神器 郷」||Land Scheme "Three Sacred Treasures - Country"||IN||St. 3: L|
|終符「幻想天皇」||Ending Sign "Phantasmal Emperor"||IN||St. 3: E/N|
|虚史「幻想郷伝説」||Pseudo-History "The Legend of Gensokyo"||IN||St. 3: H/L|
|未来「高天原」||Future "Gods' Realm"||IN||St. 3: N/H/L|
|旧史「旧秘境史 -オールドヒストリー-」||Past "Old History of an Untrodden Land -Old History-"||IN||St. Ex|
|転世「一条戻り橋」||Reincarnation "Ichijou Returning Bridge"||IN
|新史「新幻想史 -ネクストヒストリー-」||Future "New History of Fantasy -Next History-"||IN||St. Ex|
|「日出ずる国の天子」||"Emperor of the Land of the Rising Sun"||IN||Lw|
|光符「アマテラス」||Light Sign "Amaterasu"||StB||St. 3|
|包符「昭和の雨」||Shroud Sign "Rain of Showa"||StB||St. 3|
|葵符「水戸の光圀」||Hollyhock Sign "Mito no Mitsukuni"||StB||St. 3|
|倭符「邪馬台の国」||Japan Sign "Yamato Kingdom"||StB||St. 3|
|「２０ＸＸ年 死後の旅」||"20XX: An Afterlife Odyssey"||ISC||St. 3|
|大火「江戸のフラワー」||Great Fire "Flower of Edo"||ISC||St. 3|
Imperishable Night Demo - おまけ.txt
<toggledisplay showtext="Show profiles" hidetext="Hide profiles">
Imperishable Night - キャラ設定.txt
<toggledisplay showtext="Show profiles" hidetext="Hide profiles">
上白沢 慧音（かみしらさわ けいね）
|Stage 3 Boss, History Eater
Abilities: Able to eat (conceal) and create histories
Keine looks like an ordinary human most of the time, but she is actually a were-hakutaku who transforms into a hakutaku under the light of the full moon. In human form, she can only conceal histories, but in hakutaku form, she has full control over every aspect of Gensokyo's history and can create new histories at will.
She devoured the village's history to make it invisible.
Although Keine is not human, she loves humans and always tries to help them. She only uses her ability when it would benefit humans.
<toggledisplay showtext="Show sources" hidetext="Hide sources">
- 2004/05/14 Imperishable Night Demo - おまけ.txt (pre-official profile
- 2004/08/15 Imperishable Night - Stage 3 dialogue; Extra Stage dialogue; キャラ設定.txt (official profile)
- 2005/12/30 Shoot the Bullet - Stage 3 Spell Card comments
- 2005/08/11 Bohemian Archive in Japanese Red - Article and Interview: Keine
- 2006/12/27 Perfect Memento in Strict Sense - Keine Kamishirasawa
- 2008/03/22 Inaba of the Moon and Inaba of the Earth - Chapter 10
- 2008/03/25 Cage in Lunatic Runagate - Chapter 4
- 2008/11/22 Inaba of the Moon and Inaba of the Earth - Chapter 18
- 2009/07/28 The Grimoire of Marisa - Keine Kamishirasawa's Spell Cards