Sprites of Sariel in Highly Responsive to PrayersAngel of Death
More Character Titles
Angel of Death
Makai, in the Fallen Shrine
Sariel (サリエル, ro. Sarieru) is an angel of death that Reimu Hakurei encounters deep within Makai in the Fallen Shrine in Highly Responsive to Prayers. He/she is the final enemy Reimu confronts there before returning to her shrine. But since he/she has no profile and exchanges no dialogue with Reimu, nothing else is known about this enemy.
Sariel's name means "Command of God". In Judaic and Islamic traditions, Sariel is the name of an archangel. However, some Judaic-Christian texts claim that Sariel is an Angel of Death, alongside Michael, Gabriel, and Samael. In other texts, Sariel is referred to as a fallen angel. Sariel is always depicted as being male, but the sprite is ambiguous enough to belong to either gender.
In Coptic tradition, Sariel is thought to be the angel of the church of Sardis, referred to in The Revelation to John, and has an immense knowledge of magic, magic rituals, and magic powers that give him the ability to lead others astray. Fittingly, his/her second theme is called 'The Civilization of Magic".
Seen in his/her sprite in Highly Responsive to Prayers, Sariel is a ghost-like angelic figure with white knee-length hair with seemingly blue eyes. He/she wears a long, simple blue dress with long white sleeves. He/she has six angel wings and holds a strange wand. She has another form
- Highly Responsive to Prayers
- Shinki (Creator, Mistress?)
- Sariel's background changes throughout the battle: from a starry night, to a river with two floating yin-yang orbs, to what appears to be an inferno with human arms reaching out of the ground, and a collection of orbs showing Reimu and her shrine at another point in time.
- He/She appeared in a silhouette in his/her second form, similar to the Windows game covers. This makes Him/her the first character in the whole series to appear in a silhouette.
- Sariel bears a striking resemblance to the stage 4 midboss of Story of Eastern Wonderland.
- Sariel is the first character to have more than one theme.
- Sariel's six wings show he/she is possibly a seraph. Seraphim are the highest order of angels in the Christian angelic hierarchy.
<toggledisplay showtext="Show sources" hidetext="Hide sources">
- 1997/08/15 Highly Responsive to Prayers