東方地霊殿 ～ Subterranean Animism (romanized: Touhou Chireiden, meaning Eastern Palace of the Earth Spirits) is the eleventh official game of the Touhou series. The original trial version was released at Reitaisai 5, while the full version debuted at Comiket 74.
Subterranean Animism features two playable characters (Reimu and Marisa), each with three weapon types representing a youkai assisting them from above ground. Like Mountain of Faith, collecting power items adds up to four "option" satellites around the character (or eight for the Marisa/Alice combination), which behave differently according to the character and weapon type, and can be sacrificed for a bomb effect. However, unlike Mountain of Faith, each bomb has a different behavior, and some cause special gameplay effects to occur.
The scoring system is once again based on grazing, coupled with collection of two types of items dropped by enemies. Overall, the system resembles some of the core elements of Embodiment of Scarlet Devil fused together with the Tension Bonus System from Shikigami no Shiro series. As such, the player is urged to actively graze at every possible opportunity in order to increase the point item value. Grazing large amounts of bullets in little time is rewarded by the temporary effect of autocollecting all the freefalling items at their maximum value (identical to the point of collection effect, but without regard to the character's location on the screen), letting the player concentrate entirely on the act of dodging bullets.
- Subterranean Animism: Characters
- Subterranean Animism: Strategy
- Subterranean Animism: Spell Cards
- Subterranean Animism: Music
- Subterranean Animism: Miscellaneous
- Subterranean Animism: English Patch (v1.0a) at Gensokyo.org
- Subterranean Animism: Shot Type Comparison
- Subterranean Animism: English scoreboard, at Maidens of the Kaleidoscope
- Subterranean Animism: English scoreboard, at Shmups Forum
- Subterranean Animism: Japanese scoreboard, at Royal Flare