東方地霊殿 ～ Subterranean Animism (romanized: Touhou Chireiden, meaning Eastern Palace of the Earth Spirits) is the eleventh official game in the Touhou series. The trial version was released at Reitaisai 5, and the full version debuted at Comiket 74.
Subterranean Animism features two playable characters (Reimu and Marisa), each with three weapon types representing a youkai assisting them from above ground. Collecting power items adds up to four "option" satellites around the character (or eight for the Marisa/Alice combination), which behave differently according to the character and weapon type. Power can be used to unleash a bomb, each with different behaviors, and some cause special gameplay effects to occur.
The scoring system is based on grazing, coupled with the collection of items dropped by enemies. As such, the player is urged to actively graze at every possible opportunity in order to increase the point item value. Grazing large amounts of bullets in little time is rewarded by the temporary effect of autocollecting all the freefalling items at their maximum value (identical to the point of collection effect, but without regard to the character's location on the screen), letting the player concentrate on avoiding bullets.
- Subterranean Animism: English Patch (v1.0a) at Gensokyo.org
- Subterranean Animism: Shot Type Comparison
- Subterranean Animism: English scoreboard, at Maidens of the Kaleidoscope
- Subterranean Animism: English scoreboard, at Shmups Forum
- Subterranean Animism: Japanese scoreboard, at Royal Flare
- While you're playing, if you look at the right side, you can see Reimu written in yellow and Marisa in green.
- Most of the characters that the protagonist meets think she is talking to herself at first, because the protagonist's partner is not visible.