Wily Beast and Weakest Creature
Wily Beast and Weakest Creature
Vertical Danmaku Shooting Game
Single-Player Story Mode
Touhou Series chronology
There are three main characters: Reimu Hakurei, Marisa Kirisame, and Youmu Konpaku. The player can equip one of three animal spirits, namely "Wolf", "Otter" and "Eagle". "Wolf" powers up the player's focused shot, "Otter" powers up the player's bombs, and "Eagle" powers up the player's unfocused shot.
Upon defeating certain enemies and in-between each Spell Card, items called Spirit Items will appear on screen and bounce around for a very long time, similar to Undefined Fantastic Object's UFOs.
There are three Beast Spirits items (one for Wolf, Otter and Eagle) which periodically cycle in the aforementioned order.
Upon collecting five Spirit Items, the player enters Roaring Mode. Similarly to Perfect Cherry Blossom's Supernatural Border mode, Roaring Mode can end by timeout, calling off or by being hit, which negates the hit. While ending Roaring Mode by timeout creates new Beast Items, ending it through any other method triggers a Spirit Strike which deletes nearby bullets. All standard non-basic drops (lives, bombs, high-value power & high-value points) now also feed into this system.
Triggering Roaring Mode with three or more of the same Beast Spirits will give the player special bonuses.
- For three or more Wolf Spirits, the player's focused shot will be improved (and shot even whilst unfocused).
- For three or more Otter Spirits, the player will receive an orbiting bullet shield.
- For three of more Eagle Spirits, the player's unfocused shot will be improved (and shot even whilst focused).
Triggering such a Berserk Roaring Mode which matches your Shot Type and/or with more than three Beast Items will elongate its duration.
This game sees the return of Spell Practice and marks the addition of "Achievements" to the mainline franchise. These reward completing each scenario, difficulty, 1ccs and no-miss runs.
There are also secret achievements to be found.
In the game's preliminary description, ZUN describes it as "a shooting game that's darker than usual, full of animal elements, and just a bit aggressive."
Beast spirits began to invade from Hell en masse.
"They're trying to take over the surface world with brute force and sheer numbers.
I beg of you! Venture into Hell with me, and put a stop to their plans!"
So she was told, by a beast spirit that was cooperative with humans...
Reimu, Marisa and Youmu encounter several animal spirits from Hell, who claim that their fellow animal spirits are plotting to take over the surface world. The three heroines team up with the spirits, and venture into Hell to take out this new potential threat.
Wily Beast and Weakest Creature has 17 different tracks in it excluding the Player Score song, which can all be unlocked in the sound test by hearing them at least once in-game. The Stage 6 theme "Electric Heritage" is an arranged version of "Entrust the World to Idols ~ Idolatrize World", and the staff roll theme "Returning Home from the Underground" is, as is stated in the comment, an arranged version of the Stage 4 theme "Unlocated Hell". Several songs from this soundtrack aim to "portray a Touhou-esque view" of the afterlife, as seen in the description of "The Lamentations Known Only by Jizo" and "Everlasting Red Spider Lily".
ZUN sees "The Lamentations Known Only by Jizo" as the first instance of a Stage 1 theme being not "bright" and "cheery", but rather feeling more melancholy. "Unlocated Hell" marks another self-admitted failure of an attempt at heavy metal (see Sakuya's theme). Many of the later songs do include the now classic ZUN-electric guitar. On the note of "electric", "Electric Heritage" is one of the first songs of the Touhou Project to have a distinct "cyber" feeling.
In the description of "The Shining Law of the Strong Eating the Weak", ZUN notes that he'd like to start "refining his [musical] sensibility" with his children in later games.
Wily Beast and Weakest Creature was first announced on ZUN's blog on April 17, 2019, along with information about the characters and story, and several in-development screenshots.
He noted that the game would be "darker than usual" and even "a bit aggressive". The trial CD was released on May 5th, 2019, during Reitaisai 16. On May 20th, he announced the trial of Wily Beast and Weakest Creature would also be available on Steam, which is, according to Team Shanghai Alice's legal representative Fumio Oyamada, the result of a conversation with Toby Fox.
In the afterword, ZUN sees Wily Beast and Weakest Creature as possibly the easiest game in the series.
CD Demo featuring Eika Ebisu.
- The game's Japanese name (鬼形獣) contains the character for "oni/demon" (鬼) in Saki Kurokoma's given name (早鬼) and in the name of the Kiketsu Family (鬼傑組), which Yachie Kicchou leads. If the character for "beast" is taken out, what remains is 鬼形, which can be translated as "oni/demon figure" or "oni/demon doll" since oni can be considered an "opposite" of sorts to humans. If the kanji are inverted in position, they can be read as "Keiki", and can be translated as "oni/demon of shapes", possibly referencing Keiki Haniyasushin. This follows the trend of game names referencing their final bosses or other important characters.
- Community translations from the Touhou Patch Center wiki.
- Select lang_en during patching.
- Video walkthrough
- Also available as a [ pre-packaged standalone] (not recommended).
These patches are a community translation based on Touhou Wiki and the English Touhou Patch Center Portal.
Visit the thpatch game page to find the specific patch contents for Wily Beast and Weakest Creature.
- ZUN (April 17, 2019). "東方Project 第17弾です" (in 日本語).
- ZUN (May 4, 2019). "明日は例大祭です" (in 日本語).
- ZUN (May 20, 2019). "東方鬼形獣の体験版を公開しました" (in 日本語).
- ステーション東方 (May 10, 2019). "東方ステーション #18 ～例大祭特集～" (in 日本語).
- ZUN (August 10, 2019). "夏コミ情報と重要なお知らせ " (in 日本語).
- "東方鬼形獣 〜 Wily Beast and Weakest Creature. on Steam".