Amakasu Barley Tenji
a̠ma̠ka̠sɯᵝ ba̠ːɺ̠e̞ː tẽ̞nd͡ʑi
Amakasu Barley Tenji
Amakasu Barley Tenji in Uwabami Breakers
More Character Titles
At least over 27, unknown
Amakasu Barley Tenji (甘粕・バーレイ・天治 Amakasu Bārei Tenji) is an 80's dancer who loves to disco. He's currently employed at the Twilight Bar Room working as a Bartender and a butler, may also be a waiter, along with Tatsumi Hakkaisan. Isami Asama encounters Amakasu on the rooftop of the Twilight Bar Room (which is called the "Saturday Night Garden") on the final stage of Uwabami Breakers, since he's the final boss. He only shows himself to the highest class of customers.
His full name is Amakasu Barley Tenji (甘粕・バーレイ・天治). 甘 (ama, "sweet") and 粕 (kasu, "lees") are essentially the waste product left over from brewing sake, which can be reused in the pickling process. 甘粕 (amakasu) then means something like "the sweet leftovers from brewing". Barley (バーレイ Bārei), being a middle name, is unusual in Japanese. It is a grain often used as a malt in the brewing process. The Egyptians made beer out of barley, and barleywine is still a fairly common alcohol. Lastly, 天 (ten) means "heaven" and 治 (ji) means "govern". This fits his role as a final boss who dances in the night sky after a long night of drunken carousing.
Amakasu's design shows that he has an afro, a mustache and small round sunglasses, where he wears a black butler vest over a white shirt, adorned with a red bow tie and a thin red ribbon to each of his arms. He also has black trousers and brown shoes. He holds a bottle (wine bottle?) and a red cloth. All this waiter stuff would indicate why he's called a "steward" (執事 shitsuji) in his title, meaning he's also a butler as well as a dancer. Furthermore, he has a dark-skinned face but a light-skinned body.
- Rumi Arie & Tatsumi Hakkaisan
- Isami Asama
- Amakasu has some strange abilities compared to other normal-acting characters in the game. He is able to spin his head 360 degrees non-stop and he's able to summon disco balls.
- He's the only character in Uwabami Breakers to have his theme song officially composed by ZUN.
- The name "Saturday Night Garden" is a reference to the American film Saturday Night Fever.
- His favourite line is "You call that danmaku? That fight before was way worse, man". This could possibly mean that he, Rumi Arie and Tatsumi Hakkaisan may know that Gensokyo exists. Also, they use the Spell Card system that is only made for Gensokyo.
|This page is part of Project Characters, a Touhou Wiki project that aims to write proper descriptions for all official characters of Touhou Project. Please keep the character page guidelines in mind when contributing.