Illustration of Daiyousei in Strange Creators of Outer World
In response to questions from fans, ZUN revealed some information about her such as "Ordinary fairies are weaker than humans. Greater fairies are mightier than other fairies."  Cirno is said to be a very special exception in Phantasmagoria of Flower View, but according to this, "Greater Fairy" seems to be a generic term for some mighty fairies. She's said to be one of the normal-enemy class (not boss-class) characters.
Daiyousei wasn't given an official name at the time Embodiment of Scarlet Devil was released. ZUN confirmed soon after that she didn't have any official name, though he had done rough sketches for face graphics and initially planned for her, as well as Koakuma, to have their own spell cards. Fans nicknamed her Daiyousei (大妖精, lit. "Big Fairy" or "Greater Fairy"). ZUN later used this nickname in an interview, although he used it as a general term for all stronger-than-normal fairies, so the name Daiyousei is still not really a name for this character.
The data files for Fairy Wars reveals that the file name for her sprites is called "enemy_bf.anm", furthering her identification. "bf" is likely an abbreviation for "Big Fairy".
The design of Daiyousei appears to show that she has short green hair with a yellow ribbon. She wears a blue dress with white trim and sleeves and also has golden wings. The sprite in Fairy Wars shows that she was holding a bouquet of flowers.
- Embodiment of Scarlet Devil
During the events of Embodiment of Scarlet Devil the heroine was attacked by Daiyousei while flying over the Misty Lake around the Scarlet Devil Mansion. Very little is known about her, even why she attacked the heroine, and she had no importance to the story.
- Strange and Bright Nature Deity
- Visionary Fairies in Shrine
Daiyousei is first seen (presumably) associated with Cirno in Strange and Bright Nature Deity Chapter 13 where both of them were playing hide and seek. After meeting and talking with the Three Fairies of Light, Cirno appears to have completely forgotten about Daiyousei. She was later seen attacking Cirno in Fairy Wars.
Daiyousei with Lily White and Koakuma from Who's Who of Humans & Youkai - Dusk Edition
- Her appearance in Fairy Wars' Extra stage with Lily White marks the second ever appearance as a double midboss in the Touhou Project, where as the first time shown as a double midboss was the Two Red Dots, which are two strange creatures.
- Daiyousei is one of the few characters who doesn't appear in Hopeless Masquerade as a background character. The reason is unknown.
- Touhou Shofu #6 "２面中ボスは大妖精。４面中ボスは小悪魔です。 妖精は人間以下の存在ですが、その中でも力のある者が大妖精です。(The 2nd midboss is 'Greater Fairy'. The 4th midboss is 'Little Devil'. Fairies are weaker than humans, but fairies with higher power are greater fairies.)"
- ZUN's reply to messages on the former Gensou Bulletin Board 1
|This page is part of Project Characters, a Touhou Wiki project that aims to write proper descriptions for all official characters of Touhou Project. Please keep the character page guidelines in mind when contributing.|