|The title of this article is unofficial; an official name hasn't been found, so it's been given a fitting title by the editors of this wiki for amenity, either from a popular fan-name or a mere description of the topic. If an official name appears, then it should be moved to the official name.|
Illustration of Daiyousei in Strange Creators of Outer World
Misty Lake around Scarlet Devil Mansion
Daiyousei (大妖精 Daiyousei) is a greater fairy who lives around the Misty Lake near the Scarlet Devil Mansion. Like other fairies, she is straightforward and behaves mischievously. Little is known about her.
Little is known about Daiyousei. She is a midboss who lacks any in-game art beyond her sprite. Her appearances in print works are nonverbal cameos; in Chapter 14 of Visionary Fairies in Shrine, she is seen speaking with other fairies.
ZUN has stated that the greater fairies' personalities are the same as other fairies: cheerful, mischievous, simple, and expressive. 
In response to fans' questions about Daiyousei, ZUN revealed that "Ordinary fairies are weaker than humans. Greater fairies are mightier than other fairies."  Cirno is said to be a very special exception in Phantasmagoria of Flower View, but according to this, "Greater Fairy" seems to be a generic term for strong fairies. She is considered to be in the normal-enemy class (below boss-class) of characters.
Daiyousei was not given an official name when Embodiment of Scarlet Devil was released. ZUN has confirmed that she does not have an official name, though he had done rough sketches for face graphics and initially planned for her and Koakuma to have their own spell cards. Fans nicknamed her Daiyousei (大妖精, lit. "Big Fairy" or "Greater Fairy"). ZUN later used this nickname in an interview, albeit as a general term for all stronger-than-average fairies.
The data files for Great Fairy Wars reveals that the filename for her sprites is called "enemy_bf.anm", "bf" likely being an abbreviation of "Big Fairy".
Daiyousei's sprites depict her with short green hair with a yellow ribbon. She wears a blue dress with white trim and sleeves, with golden wings on her back. The sprite in Great Fairy Wars depicts her holding a bouquet.
- Embodiment of Scarlet Devil
During the events of Embodiment of Scarlet Devil the protagonist is attacked by Daiyousei while flying over the Misty Lake in Stage 2. She appears as a midboss with one health bar and no Spell Cards. She has no importance to the story.
- Great Fairy Wars
Daiyousei appears as a midboss in Great Fairy Wars, in Route A1-2, Route B-1, Route C2-2, and the Extra Stage. She has no importance to the story.
- Strange and Bright Nature Deity
In chapter 13 of Strange and Bright Nature Deity, Daiyousei is seen playing hide and seek with Cirno. She is also seen receiving a warning from Reimu Hakurei about an incoming typhoon.
- Visionary Fairies in Shrine
Daiyousei is seen in chapter 1 with Cirno when the Three Fairies of Light are asking around about a fairy. Later on, she is one of the fairies who fights Okina Matara in the Land of the Back Door.
- Wild and Horned Hermit
Daiyousei has a brief cameo in Chapter 20 of Wild and Horned Hermit, as she attends the third Tori no Ichi with Cirno and Letty Whiterock.
- Lotus Eaters
In chapter 23, Daiyousei plays with Cirno and the other Misty lake fairies at the Hakurei Shrine.
Daiyousei appears as the midboss of Stage 2 of in Embodiment of Scarlet Devil, where Cirno is the boss. Her first proper association with Cirno is in Visionary Fairies in Shrine where the two witness the Three Fairies of Light investigating a new fairy. In Chapter 13 of Strange and Bright Nature Deity, Cirno and Daiyousei play hide and seek, but after meeting and talking with the Three Fairies of Light, Cirno seemingly forgets about Daiyousei. She is later seen attacking Cirno several times in Great Fairy Wars.
- Letty Whiterock
Daiyousei and Cirno both attend the third Tori no Ichi with Letty Whiterock in Chapter 20 of Wild and Horned Hermit.
Daiyousei with Lily White and Koakuma from Who's Who of Humans & Youkai - Dusk Edition
Daiyousei in Touhou Sangetsusei
- Her appearance in the Extra Stage of Great Fairy Wars' with Lily White marks the second instance of a double midboss in Touhou, the first time being Two Red Dots in Story of Eastern Wonderland.
- Daiyousei is one of the few characters who doesn't appear in Hopeless Masquerade as a background character.
- 2002/08/11 Embodiment of Scarlet Devil
- 2007/09/26 Strange and Bright Nature Deity - Chapter 13
- 2010/08/14 Great Fairy Wars
- 2014/12/10 Wild and Horned Hermit - Chapter 20
- 2018/10/01 Strange Creators of Outer World - Volume 6
- ↑ Touhou Shofu #6 "その性格は他の妖精と変わらず、陽気でいたずら好き。単純で表情豊かです。" (Their personalities are the same as those of other fairies: cheerful and mischievous. They are simple and expressive)
- ↑ Touhou Shofu #6 "２面中ボスは大妖精。４面中ボスは小悪魔です。 妖精は人間以下の存在ですが、その中でも力のある者が大妖精です。(The 2nd midboss is 'Greater Fairy'. The 4th midboss is 'Little Devil'. Fairies are weaker than humans, but fairies with higher power are greater fairies.)"
- ↑ ZUN's reply to messages on the former Gensou Bulletin Board 1
|This page is part of Project Characters, a Touhou Wiki project that aims to write proper descriptions for all official characters of Touhou Project. Please keep the character page guidelines in mind when contributing.|