Dolls in Pseudo Paradise
|Hourai Doll ~ Dolls in Pseudo Paradise|
Album by Team Shanghai Alice
2002-12-30 (Comiket 63)
Hourai Doll ~ Dolls in Pseudo Paradise (蓬莱人形 ～ Dolls in Pseudo Paradise Hourai Ningyou ~ Dolls in Pseudo Paradise) is an official doujin album by Team Shanghai Alice released on 2002-12-30 (Comiket 63). It is part of "ZUN's Music Collection" and it is the first volume (vol.1).
- Dark and hard music performed by Shanghai Alice Illusionary Band
- 01. 蓬莱伝説 (03:43)
- 02. 二色蓮花蝶 ～ Red and White (03:51)
- original title: 二色蓮花蝶 ～ Ancients
- source: 秋霜玉
- 03. 桜花之恋塚 ～ Japanese Flower (04:24)
- original title: 桜花之恋塚 ～ Flower of Japan
- source: 稀翁玉
- 04. 明治十七年の上海アリス (04:48)
- 06. エニグマティクドール (04:39)
- original title: エニグマティクドール ～ God Knows
- source: 稀翁玉
- 07. サーカスレヴァリエ (04:29)
- original title: 機械サーカス ～ Reverie
- source: 秋霜玉
- 08. 人形の森 (04:03)
- 09. Witch of Love Potion (04:25)
- original title: Witch of Love Potion
- source: トルテ ル マジック
- 10. リーインカーネイション (04:25)
- original title: Reincarnation
- source: 東方夢時空 ～ Phantasmagoria of Dim.Dream
- 11. U.N.オーエンは彼女なのか？ (04:48)
- original title: U.N.オーエンは彼女なのか？
- source: 東方紅魔郷 ～ the Embodiment of Scarlet Devil
- 13. 空飛ぶ巫女の不思議な毎日 (04:35)
Eight honest people (implied to be thieves) were spirited away to Gensokyo, after one of them found a little hole in a peach tree. Finding themselves in a strange land, they tried to stay together and survive, but each of them start dying. The most curious ran into the depths of the forest and was tricked by a mysterious pierrot, and was beheaded. The earliest to rise walked around a lake, where this person was entranced by the figure of a dancing red-white shrine maiden. It began to rain, developing into a storm, and this person was taken captive by the pierrot and dragged into the storm. That night, the six remaining people held a party. The youngest got bored and walked away, but in the darkness, this person got caught by the pierrot and was immediately beheaded. The most cowardly became paranoid and depressed with the idea that they could no longer return to their world. This person tried to find a way to escape, but eventually gave up and decided to self-hang instead. For some reason, this person survived, and was given a new lease of life, returning to the group.
After they woke up, the five members find themselves in darkness, having been captured by the pierrot. Four of them tried to come up with escape plans, but the wisest of them believed that it was futile and doesn't act. However, the escape plans actually worked and they leave the wise one behind, who was stabbed in the back after eventually realizing something was behind him. The remaining group returned to a strange Western house they had found deep in the forest. The most mature soon died after drinking poisoned coffee. The most wary of the group found the body, yet does not tell the others, suspecting one of the other two in particular was the culprit. The wary one became very careful about avoiding the others, but was nailed to a tree during the night. The earliest to rise was then poisoned at breakfast, realizing too late who the culprit was. The final member, the one who had tried to self-hang, woke up with a headache and couldn't remember the previous evening. This person discovered to be the only one left of the group, and concluded the culprit was the one whose coffee was poisoned. With no remaining attachments to the world, this person finally self-hang once more. (Alternatively, it is implied that this last person, who survived the hanging, is actually the one who poisoned the coffee, ham and eggs, and nailed his member to the tree. All of which are done after he had supposedly reborned as a killer. His claim of being poison in his dinner might actually be his excuse to deny killing his members.)
Days later, the shrine maiden saw a blonde girl coming from the direction of the abandoned house in the forest. The girl mischievously stuck out her tongue out and quickly bowed as she laughed and walked away, leaving Gensokyo. The shrine maiden realized that this girl was the only woman of the eight honest men, but paid no mind.
- The CD was actually originally released at Comiket 62 on August 11, 2002, alongside Embodiment of Scarlet Devil, but was re-released later at Comiket 63, including a different story from the original.
- ZUN states in the said game that this CD is meant to be genre-free.
- Unlike most music which is tuned to 440 Hz, this CD is recorded with a tuning frequency of approximately 456 Hz, which fluctuates by about ± 5 Hz on some tracks.
- These are arranged versions of tracks that were originally available at ZUN's site. The versions from his site were made for the SC-88Pro or SC-8850 MIDI modules, while the versions from this CD were arranged and re-recorded using another module. Recordings of the original SC-88Pro versions can be found here, while recordings of the SC-8850 versions of Eastern Strange Discourse and Reincarnation can still be found at ZUN's music page.