|The title of this article is unofficial; an official name hasn't been found, so it's been given a fitting title by the editors of this wiki for amenity, either from a popular fan-name or a mere description of the topic. If an official name appears, then it should be moved to the official name.|
Sprite of an evil eye from Story of Eastern Wonderland
Evil eyes are green, spherical beings with bat wings and a singulat red eye. In stage 3 of Lotus Land Story, red ones wih four "legs" appeared. In later stages the wings are absent and something that resembles a fan is visible underneath their body. The term evil eye (イビルアイ Ibiruai) is unofficial and is a rather popular fan name to refer to this enemy in both the Western and Eastern fanbase. It derives from Evil Eye Σ (イビルアイ∑ Ibiruai Sigma), a tank created by Rika that seems to be based on these enemies.
Evil Eyes' Appearances
Evil eyes were generic enemies in the PC-98 games Story of Eastern Wonderland and Lotus Land Story. They weren't as common in the former as they were in the latter. On stage 2 of the latter, they appeared alongside some crows where they slowly moved towards the player while pausing. If playing on Lunatic, they'll shoot bullets and return fire if defeated. They return on SoEW's extra stage, firing trickier danmaku.
In LLS, they're usually kept together in groups and shoot danmaku in a way similar to the rest of the enemies in that game.
- They're based on the superstition of the evil eye found in many cultures.
- They are the first enemies in the top-down scrolling series to use colored bullets.
- They use red colored bullets instead of white ones in SoEW.
- The tank Evil Eye Σ built by Rika seems to be based on them.
- YuugenMagan, who appeared a game prior in Highly Responsive to Prayers, has the title of "EvilEyes".
<toggledisplay showtext="Show sources" hidetext="Hide sources">
- 1997/08/15 Story of Eastern Wonderland - Stages 2 and 3; Extra Stage
- 1998/08/14 Lotus Land Story - Stages 2-6; Extra Stage