Fandom/Story of Eastern Wonderland
Despite been a PC-98 character, Genjii is still shown to commonly be around the Hakurei Shrine in modern Gensokyo with Reimu Hakurei in a good number of fanworks. Although Reimu is able to fly independently, she is still shown in a number of fanworks to still be sitting on Genjii, presumably either to be a show off or to have "extra power". The most notable fanwork to feature this is Touhou Soccer Moushuuden.
Similar to the kedama, despite being a PC-98 enemy, the Bakebake are most popular in fangames as a genetic enemy. Many western fans call these Bakebake "Tongue Ghosts" or "Mr. Ghostly", the latter thanks to Touhou Mother. Some fans misspell it as "Mr. Ghosty" because of the game.
- The Bakebake has been seen in fanart with Yuyuko Saigyouji and Mima for obvious reasons.
- Some fans describe them as the Fairies of the PC-98 era.
- Fanart often depicts the tank to be an actual shrine of some sort. They may also depict it to be a more realistic tank.
- It's sometimes compared to other tanks such as the Flower-Tank and the Evil Eye Σ, along with Rika sitting on it.
- Although her sprite appears vaguely in Stage 1, fans who draw her commonly depict her wearing brown pants/trousers.
- Rika looks similar and has a similar name to Rikako Asakura. These two are compared and speculated be the same character, being related or just being friends.
- It's also common to depict Rika being friends with Nitori Kawashiro, both being engineers and that they both construct tanks.
- Some fans associate Rika with Rika Furude, as they share the pronunciation of their name as well as their mannerisms of speech.
- It is considered by many for Rika and the Evil Eye Σ to be the most difficult Extra boss in the Touhou Project.
- Evil eyes are often depicted with other stage enemies, such as the Bakebake and Hoshizako.
- Some fans tend to see the Evil Eye Σ as the "king" of all the evil Eyes.
- Though not as popular as the Bakebake, they're sometimes still shown as stage enemies in fangames.
- Noroiko is often compared to other midboss-only characters such as Matenshi and Daiyousei.
- Her species is thought to be a Youkai. Because of this, some western fans call her the "Nameless Midboss Youkai".
- In some fanart, she is drawn with either green or red eyes. The aura around her are often drawn as cloths that float.
- She is sometimes compared with Parsee Mizuhashi due to similarities of "negative energy".
- Possibly due to Meira and Reimu Hakurei's conversation in Stage 2, there is some fanart pairing these two, especially with PC-98 version of Reimu.
- She's a target for jokes where she's a male, due to her conversation with Reimu.
- It's sometimes speculated that Mima or Rika created these things, them been associated with them. They may also be compared to other non-humanoids such as the Five Magic Stones.
- The auras around them are sometimes treated as tentacles.
- They may be called the "SoEW 3rd Stage Midboss" (封魔録三面中ボス).
- Some fans speculate that these spheres will only attack if there is any form of magic energy nearby.
- It is speculated that they were created by Mima due to the spheres been outside Reimaden, where Mima was at the time.
- It's sometimes speculated that the spheres are indeed gatekeepers of Reimaden.
- Some fanart depicts a random character sitting on top of one of the spheres.
- Matenshi is often compared to other midboss-only characters such as Noroiko and Daiyousei.
- Due to her looks, some western fans call her the "Nameless Midboss Angel".
- She is often drawn with blue eyes in fanart.
- It is considered by many for the Evil Eye Σ, along with Rika, to be the most difficult Extra boss in the Touhou Project.
- Some fans tend to see the Evil Eye Σ as the "king" of all the Evil Eyes.
- Fanart often views the tank with a rather cute appearance, while some other go the opposite and give the tank a more dark side.
- The tank is often compared with its counterparts: the Shrine Tank and the Flower-Tank, only as well with other machinery such as Mimi-chan.