|Attention: This article is a stub and it needs expanding with more information related to the article's topic. If you canin any way, please do so.|
Irreligion (無宗教 mushuukyou) is the practice of ignoring or rejecting religion. It includes atheism (無神論 mushinron) (disbelief in the existence of gods, or of supernatural beings in general), misotheism (belief that gods are not worthy of worship), anti-theism (belief that religion is harmful or destructive) and apatheism (lack of interest in religious matters). Irreligious views are increasingly common in developed countries due to the advancement of science. Many youkai are depicted as irreligious, rejecting the values of humans or actively attempting to damage their faith.
Irreligion in Touhou
Magicians, being the magical equivalent of scientists, generally hold little interest in religion beyond its uses for magic. Likewise the kappa and tengu, while known to worship gods, do not seem to place much value in religion as a whole, with their leaders using the offer of faith as a negotiation tool.
Faith in the supernatural has been steadily dropping in the Outside World.
Characters relevant to irreligion
- Sakuya Izayoi (atheist)
- Nitori Kawashiro (anti-theist)
- Marisa Kirisame (apatheist)
- Patchouli Knowledge (apatheist)
- Hata no Kokoro (briefly anti-theist)
- Remilia Scarlet (apatheist)
- Wikipedia entry for Apatheism
- Wikipedia entry for Antitheism
- Wikipedia entry for Atheism
- Wikipedia entry for Misotheism
- Touhou Hisoutensoku: Patchouli Knowledge's win quotes — "If you want to sort them, tengu are the magician types. They're the same in seeking the truth."
- Wild and Horned Hermit Chapter 35 — "You mean 'hidden by the gods'? Sorry, but I'm an atheist."
- Hopeless Masquerade: Nitori's Scenario — "Every one of you religious guys just spouts nothing but nonsense. Stop fighting and preaching and getting people riled up just to get what you want!"
- Mountain of Faith: Marisa-B Good Ending — "So the faithless can't understand faith, huh..."; "Marisa eventually asked Kanako to explain what faith is. And this is what Kanako said: 'It's exactly the same as how you feel towards magic.'"
- Hopeless Masquerade: Reimu Hakurei's win quotes — "You don't even care about religion, do you?"
- Hopeless Masquerade: Kokoro's Scenario — "That's it! I've got it! I know now who my enemies are! The religious leaders, who toy with people's emotions!"
- Silent Sinner in Blue: Chapter 10 — "No idea. I'm not interested in religion."