- You may be looking for Mai Teireida.
- For the Seihou Project character with the same name, see Mei and Mai.
Mai in Mystic Square
More Character Titles
The frozen fields, within Makai
Her name is Mai (マイ). There is no official meaning to マイ exept that it can mean "my" (as in "My name is-"). Also, Mai has exactly the same name as Mai from the Seihou Project, except Seihou's Mai has hiragana characters and Mai from the Touhou Project has katakana.
In Mystic Square's official art, Mai has light-blue eyes and blue hair, she has a light pink bow in her hair. She also wears a light pink dress and has small light pink wings. She also has another form where she is seen with large white demon wings.
- Mystic Square
When the heroine traveled into Makai during the events of Mystic Square Mai and Yuki were waiting for her. Together they attempted to prevent the heroine from going any further into Makai, but ultimately failed. Mai is the quieter of the two, but also seems to believe that she is stronger; if Yuki is defeated first, Mai will claim Yuki was just holding her back.
Mai and Yuki made an appearance as the second midbosses of the Extra Stage in Samidare, similar to their boss battle in Mystic Square's fourth stage. This appearance is unofficial, as ZUN had no involvement in the development of the game; Yoko (blankvision), one of the members of "Shunsatsu sare do?" and RebRank were responsible for their appearance. Mai's design has not changed from that used in Mystic Square, save for her being encapsulated in a blue sphere of light. Furthermore, she and her partner's second attack in this appearance looks very similar to Alice Margatroid's second attack in Mystic Square's Extra Stage.
Yuki is a Witch like Mai, and it is possible that the two are friends. However, during the fourth stage of Mystic Square, Mai does not appear to be distressed if Yuki is defeated first, going so far as to call her deadweight. Mai also claims to be stronger than Yuki.
- She bears a resemblance to Remilia Scarlet. She also bears a resemblance to Cirno, who shares her ice affinity.
- Despite her claim that she is stronger than Yuki, her in-game bullet patterns are less complex and easier to deal with than Yuki's patterns.
- Mai's personality and the title of her theme music may be a reference to the ninth circle of Hell in the Divine Comedy, which represents treacherous sin with the frozen river named Cocytus, where the biblical traitor Judas Iscariot is being tortured for all eternity.
|This page is part of Project Characters, a Touhou Wiki project that aims to write proper descriptions for all official characters of Touhou Project. Please keep the character page guidelines in mind when contributing.|