|Attention: This article is a stub and it needs expanding with more information related to the article's topic. If you canin any way, please do so.|
Ofuda (御札 or お札 o-fuda, a charm) are inscribed strips of paper or other material used within the Shinto religion as amulets or talismans for purification, exorcism, or protection. It is common for ofuda in manga or anime to have other abilities, such as timed explosion ("paper bombs"). In the Touhou Project, ofuda are often seen decorating characters and being used in characters' danmaku and spell cards. In print works, they are also used in other ways.
Examples of characters using ofuda
- Reimu Hakurei's primary bullet attacks are usually in the form of ofuda. They have anti-youkai properties, and in print works she also uses them to seal youkai, or keep them away from certain places. However, it also looks like that youkai lacking any evil aura won't be affected by their spiritual power.
- Seiga Kaku controls Yoshika Miyako as a Jiang Shi by using an ofuda attached to her forehead. It has, supposedly, a to-do list written on it.
- In Forbidden Scrollery, Mamizou Futatsuiwa used an ofuda to seal the Tupai inside a pot. According to Reimu, the seal was really well made, but she was still able to break it by using what Marisa calls her "cheat technique".
- Other characters, especially those related to religions such as Sanae Kochiya, Toyosatomimi no Miko or Byakuren Hijiri, and gods like Hina Kagiyama, Sagume Kishin and Kanako Yasaka use them as well.
Examples of characters wearing ofuda for various reasons
- Rumia's ribbon is actually an ofuda. Its purpose is unknown, but she can't touch it even though there have been times in which she wanted to take it off. 
- Fujiwara no Mokou's hair is shown tied with ofuda and several ofuda are attached to her pants. May be wards against fire burns.
- Ran Yakumo's hat and Suika Ibuki's gourd have some ofuda attached on them.
Reimu using ofuda in one of her spellcards: Dream Land "Super Duplex Barrier".
Fujiwara no Mokou sporting several ofuda on her hair and pants.
Ran Yakumo wearing a hat with ofuda attached on it.
Reimu sealing some youkai with her amulets in Forbidden Scrollery
Reimu's amulet with Oomagatsumi no Kami's power in Silent Sinner in Blue