Sagume Kishin in Legacy of Lunatic Kingdom
More Character Titles
Reversing a situation with her words
Sagume appeared as the Stage 4 midboss and Boss in Legacy of Lunatic Kingdom.
- Reversing a situation with her words
When she speaks about a particular situation or event, that situation will eventually proceed to reverse itself, through whatever means possible. If she speaks about an attempt to achieve a goal, it will fail in some way. If she speaks about something bad occurring, it will be resolved in some way. Due to this, she tends to not speak too much and always chooses her words carefully. Note that it is the situation or the event she talks about that will be reversed in some manner; it is not that the opposite of what she says must occur.
In Legacy of Lunatic Kingdom, Sagume had thought of a backup plan to move the Lunar Capital to Gensokyo in case Junko's actions eventually forced the Lunarians to leave their temporary refuge in the Dream World. However, when the player shows up to take care of Junko, Sagume realizes her opportunity to help save the Lunar Capital. By talking to the protagonist about their plan to invade Gensokyo, her ability ensures that the plan will not come to fruition. By doing so, Sagume bets on the likelihood that the reason they will not end up relocating to Gensokyo is because the protagonist will in fact save the Lunar Capital. By talking to the player directly, she forced the situation to reverse around them.
- Occult Balls
Using her powers, Sagume created a secret occult ball. It had the power to change the world by using people's words, and merely being near it would cause false rumors, such as urban legends, to materialize. Although it was just insurance, the plan was to use it to materialize the Lunar Capital in Gensokyo by spreading rumors about NASA hiding the truth about what they saw on the Moon. This also caused numerous lesser urban legends to materialize, starting the events of Urban Legend in Limbo. It is currently in possession of Marisa Kirisame.
She is a goddess, but she has a part of her that is a Heavenly God (天津神 Amatsukami) represented by the sole wing on her back and a part that is a Earthly God (土着神 Kunitsukami). Other than being a Lunarian, Sagume can also "tentatively" be classified as a divine spirit, but it is said that her true nature isn't that of a god, an oni, or a departed soul. She could be considered a type of amanojaku, but she is actually far above them.
Her full name is Sagume Kishin (稀神サグメ). Her last name, Kishin (稀神), means "rare god". It differs from kishin (鬼神), which means "oni god" and the Kijin in Seija Kijin (鬼人), which means "oni human" and forms a part of her and Seija's species, amanojaku.
Sagume may be based in part on Ame-no-Sagume (天探女), who is thought to be the basis of amanojaku folklore.
Sagume has short, light grey hair with a braid on the back, red eyes, and a single wing on her back. She wears a purple dress, the bottom of which is cut into an arrow pattern, with a red microphone bowtie, a tan jacket, and brown shoes.
- Legacy of Lunatic Kingdom
Sagume encounters the protagonists in the already deserted Lunar Capital, after revealing the nature of their visit she proceeds to test their strength to see if they're capable of confronting the person attacking the Moon and, by consequence, stop the invasion to Gensokyo.
- Antinomy of Common Flowers
Due to Eirin being a sage of the Moon before fleeing to the Earth, Sagume seemed be aware of her taking action during Legacy of Lunatic Kingdom events and calls her Lady Yagokoro (八意様 Yagokoro-sama).
Later, Sagume is seen speaking with Eirin in an article of Alternative Facts in Eastern Utopia by Aya, although the subject of the conversation is unknown.
When Reisen meets Sagume during Legacy of Lunatic Kingdom events, she recognizes her as one of the Goddesses and address her as proper. Sagume recognizes Reisen as "the rabbit that fell to Earth" from Eirin's place.
- In most of her spell card and non-spell card attacks, she makes a lot of use of the flying yin-yangs, a mysterious stage enemy that re-occurs in the Touhou Project, as well as being primarily the only enemy of her stage.
- Even though she has a "defeated" sprite in the game's code, it is never used. ZUN made the image as part of his workflow, but didn't use it as the dialogue after battle is many times longer than the pre-battle dialogue, and didn't like Sagume being in a defeated state the whole time.
- Legacy of Lunatic Kingdom - Marisa's Pointdevice/No Miss ending
- Legacy of Lunatic Kingdom interview with ZUN
- Legacy of Lunatic Kingdom/Music - Sagume Kishin's theme comments
- Strange Creators of Outer World: Legacy of Lunatic Kingdom interview: Interviewer: "Even when Sagume loses, her clothes don't get messed up."; ZUN: "That's right. I have a picture of her, but I didn't use it (laugh). I drew it as part of my workflow, but it was a waste."; Interviewer: "Because she's strong?"; ZUN: "The dialogue before the battle is short, and the dialogue after it is long, so I couldn't have her stay in the defeated pose the whole time. And it would be embarrassing if her clothes were messed up when she was only testing their powers (laugh)."
|This page is part of Project Characters, a Touhou Wiki project that aims to write proper descriptions for all official characters of Touhou Project. Please keep the character page guidelines in mind when contributing.|