Talk:Foul Detective Satori
Foul is inaccurate
https://ejje.weblio.jp/content/%E5%8F%8D%E5%89%87 For the record it's literally correct, and in English a "foul" does apply as a word that does mean what the kanji means. However, in English the first connotations of "foul" (especially when it isn't clearly a noun as here) are "bad-smelling" or "ill character". The word should immediately imply rule violation. The word has been translated as "cheating" before. I don't really care for "cheating" in particular; perhaps there is a better word, but foul is certainly not it. Even though it's listed AS a definition, please remember that as is the word is read in its adjective form with this title. In other words, "Nasty Detective Satori".
I'm not really interested in the debate myself but I do know at least that "Foul" is way off. I'd recommend others discuss an alternative based on "rule violation". One of my bud's suggested "unfair" as an alternative.--Swifft
- Lmao. I completely agree that "Foul" is a horribly misleading translation of 反則 in the context of the title/manga (as do many). Why, then, does the Wiki choose to use "Foul" when it was "Cheating" initially? Well...it's because that's the official subtitle. Did you not know? It's even on the cover picture of the manga featured on this very page. Look closely. As a Wiki, we do not alter official English titles no matter how jank they might be unless they have an obvious typo (i.e. "Double Spoiler" instead of "Double Spoier" and "Fairy Wars" instead of "Faily Wars"). It's certainly a shame that "Foul" is the official translation of 反則 in the title but it is what it is.
- Also, Satori's the 反則探偵 (Hansoku Tantei) and the main villian so far is called the 反獄王 (Hangoku Ou). 反則 and 反獄 were intentionally chosen as opposing rhyming words. 反獄 means "jailbreaking" (https://kotobank.jp/word/%E5%8F%8D%E7%8D%84-606365). Knowing all that, the most appropriate translations for 反則探偵 and 反獄王 would be "Rulebreaker Detective" and "Jailbreaker King". Q.E.D.
- —Ennin (talk) 22:58, 27 January 2021 (UTC)
- I tried adding a little more clarification to the Name and Concept section. -- Mazian (talk) 01:38, 28 January 2021 (UTC)
- Hey fair enough, no need to get sanctimonious; I actually did indeed not see that (it's pretty difficult to see in my defense). Can't be helped then, even if it's quite bad. --Swifft
Foul Detective Satori is what in the cover of the manga, why not follow it? Chariz michi (talk) 09:37, 2 June 2022 (UTC)
The tankoban volumes say Foul Detective Satori, as much as I dislike the translation the wiki will use what is official Greetbot 9000 Shio (talk) 01:53, 3 June 2022 (UTC)