Touhou Wiki talk:Community portal
As per Talk:Touhou_Wiki/Editor_Corner, we will be doing something about this Community Portal. Perhaps decorate it to make it look more aesthetically appealing, but overall it should highlight any important things that are going on the wiki. Maybe announcements can also be placed here in addition to Site News.
The purpose is to inform others what's going on, cause most decisions go through externally and there really aren't any logs detailing what went on --Tsukihime 16:41, 7 February 2011 (UTC)
- Taking a look at the Community Portal here, it does seem to have been abandoned. It seems that the function it used to serve has been split and moved to the main wiki Talk Page, Talk pages of articles, and User (Talk) pages. It hasn't really been used in the past very often either. I think one of the main problems is that most editors aren't even aware that this page exists (including myself).
- That being said, I think that centralizing the task lists (as opposed to having each just posted on each User page) would help with coordinating editing. It will also inform of recent decisions (such as subpaging) that needs to be implemented.
- Thus, I recommend doing the following:
- Cleaning up the old list. Go through the old list and remove items that no longer need to be dealt with.
- Reorganize/create categories. Separate script proofreading from creating new pages, etc.
- Populate the page with more current tasks needed to be done. Examples include the reorganization of each page per UFO, or NavBox updating etc.
- Link this page to main. After cleanup, we can encourage editors to use this.
- - Kiefmaster99 17:15, 7 February 2011 (UTC)
I'm sorry, but the markup is terrible in many ways. It may look cool, but is great pain to edit. I propose to remove all fancy styles, and maybe implement floating boxes with templates, if they're really needed. --WGH 07:07, 26 April 2011 (UTC)
- I've been thinking of using variables at the top and then substituting that into a portal template. The portal template would span across the entire page, while any of the section-specific information would be done by variables. This way, it's easy to find where to edit, and we don't have to look at the portal design at all --Tsukihime 16:44, 26 April 2011 (UTC)
- "template would span across the entire page", - please, no. --WGH 15:13, 29 April 2011 (UTC)
Another idea: we have a "lo-fi" version of the community portal. All items will be stored there, and we simply transclude sections to the main portal. Any edit links will point to the appropriate section.
One may ask what's the point of having the main portal then if we can just use the lo-fi version. Presentation is important and an aesthetically appealing portal looks cool --Tsukihime 15:11, 30 April 2011 (UTC)
So I'm going through with the template plan I had thought about earlier. The following things can be made into templates:
- General news box (for each section
- Roundy label (section sub-heading, which I have already done Template:RoundyLabel
- Main portal heading (The big "Community portal")
- Task priority ("High priority" and so on)
Once all of these are converted to templates, it will be easier to find where to edit. We might leave comments if necessary. --Tsukihime 19:16, 1 May 2011 (UTC)
Portal should now be easier to edit --Tsukihime 17:28, 3 May 2011 (UTC)
Maybe there should be some written standard for how we determine what priority a task should have. ie: stuff dealing with official games will probably be high. --Tsukihime 15:58, 10 February 2011 (UTC)
High proirity task conflict
As in High priority category, IN character page should write like EoSD character page, but how about the UFO character, in which many deemed as an example that used the template? - KyoriAsh 18:33, 22 March 2011 (UTC)
- That's actually leftover from several years ago I think. Good point. - Kiefmaster99 19:37, 22 March 2011 (UTC)
New Community Portal
I've been working on this for a few days have finally launched the new Community Portal layout! I've remodelled both according to the thoughts seen above and in the hopes of encouraging more editors to contribute and write down their projects, so please tell me what you think of it (love it or hate it). Some notes:
- Aside from the general overview news box, I've placed a news box for each project. It just seems more logical since a lot of editors tend to only stick to one project on the wiki, and it's good for them to have an overview of that area at least. More varied editors can just take a look at the General Project News box if they're looking for new things to do.
- I also split the tasks under each project into sections (mainly Translation, Editing and Manual Work). Having them all lumped together isn't very useful (it just becomes one giant wall of to-do's) and might scare away potential editors. I believe this way editors that like doing one particular type of task will be able to pick out tasks at a glance.
- Priority is now set per individual task (instead of being its own section). Tasks with priority should be placed at the top of the list. Right now only High Priority/no priority is distinguished. That's because a 'Medium Priority' tag seems useless (it's the same as no tag isn't it?) and 'Low Priority' tasks are only low in relation to other task on the wiki... imo anyway. Do you think we should distinguish priority further?
- Color schemes and curved tables...everywhere. Haha, I'm just a fan of these. If you dislike how it looks and have better ideas, please post them here. Also, due to the nature of these, the edit page looks a bit busy with table code. It doesn't hinder editing in any way, but if the layout is approved it might be nice to convert a few things into templates or something.
- The portal is currently missing one heading (Print Works Pages) but we've no current projects going on with those (that I know) and didn't have the strength to search for things to update/translate/etc in those pages, so if anyone that wants to make it, feel free~ (you can pick a color scheme too lol).
Anyway, please leave your thoughts? --Mizutori 00:36, 15 April 2011 (UTC)
- ok, please convert it to CSS2 code, as some of the code not compatible with XHTML 1.0 Transitional or Strict - KyoriAsh 02:55, 15 April 2011 (UTC)
- Looks organized. --Tsukihime 13:36, 15 April 2011 (UTC)
We should get a custom navigation at the top that links to each section. It will be easier to find sections you want --Tsukihime 20:37, 15 April 2011 (UTC)
- Looks amazing.
- I can see myself and others using this more often than we used to!
♥★♦ 05:16, 28 April 2011 (UTC)
Regarding the Three Fairies and Prismriver Sisters articles
I posted a task to split up these articles into three each(one for each character) but WGH seems to have deleted it without saying anything. Wouldn't this be a good idea? After all, the Prismriver Sisters are pretty separate in PoFV, and the Three Fairies each have their own character and personality(and have starred in a long-running manga series), so I think there is more than enough justification to have a separate article for each of them. --Darkslime 14:05, 25 April 2011 (UTC)
- I think they all deserve their own one, and the "group as a whole" just covers the information as a group. It is not that they can't do anything without the rest of the group. ~ Quwanti 13:06, 2 August 2011 (UTC)
- Looking back at this, I don't see why not, so long as the original articles are kept. - Kiefmaster99 16:12, 2 August 2011 (UTC)
This may seem a bit stupid, but I was wondering if anyone has recommendations for a newbie at this sort of thing? I don't mind if it's gruntwork, I'll force my way through with powa! But I simply don't know what needs to be done, so I thought I'd ask here! Tiredman 04:12, 30 April 2011 (UTC)
- I would say pretty much everything is fit for anyone of all levels of (wiki) expertise. Most of the gruntwork would most likely be found in the music and games section, since those generally involve lots of copying pasting and finding information that are already available scattered across the web.
- Typically, anything that says "manual work" is what we would consider gruntwork and stuff that tends to get shelved...for an undetermined period of time! --Tsukihime 15:14, 30 April 2011 (UTC)
To make it easier to edit tasks (basically, separately content from formatting), I am moving towards section transclusion.
The source page can be found here: Touhou_Wiki:Community_portal/Tasks
For now I am using #lsth to get the job done, as it would require as little maintenance as possible if new sections were to be added. However, right now it is not a perfect solution because
- I haven't figured out how to get the edit link to point directly at the transcluded section.
- I could explicitly link it, but what happens if we add more sections? That requires manual fixing
But for now, if any changes are made to any of the sections in the tasks subpage (which is definitely easier to edit), they will be reflected on the main page. --Tsukihime 15:30, 30 April 2011 (UTC)
I was doing some rough math (I know, scary) and if the wiki had a quota, I'd say if we do an absolute value of 500 (basically means adding or trimming information), our wiki would be in some pretty good shape!
However, this is optional and is a personal goal I have set for myself.
On a good day, about 500 of us at least make one edit.
So, if these edits are 500 x 500, then we'd have 250,000+ additions to our wiki!
I'm sure all can pass this goal as I see users everyday who make hundreds, no thousands of edits to our edits!
...So yeah, the game is open to everyone!
♥★♦ 23:17, 21 May 2011 (UTC)
What do you mean?
Are you telling me that there is a lack of manpower on the other wikis, or my message can only be seen here, or some thrid thing I'm not thinking of?
If any of the above is true, then how do we come up with a plan to make it a reality?
♥★♦ 05:34, 22 May 2011 (UTC)
- de:, es:, it:, sv: are either dead or half dead or nodoby bother, pl:, pt:, ru:, zh: are lacking editor or something - KyoriAsh 08:23, 22 May 2011 (UTC)
- lol where did the 500 * 500 come from --Tsukihime 13:40, 2 August 2011 (UTC)
- 500 editors doing 500 edits each. We only have 143 active users (going by the wiki def'n of active). - Kiefmaster99 16:12, 2 August 2011 (UTC)
The community portal is littered with old news and completed tasks. I'm suggesting that someone should clean up the community portal every month. --Rockmari 22:09, 29 September 2011 (UTC)
Hi everyone, I'm originally from Wikipedia although I occasionally edit Touhouwiki every now and then. Just to let some of you know that MediaWiki:Common.css on pool.touhouwiki.net is empty, meaning that some file license templates will not work properly (see wikipedia:Template:Imbox#Technical details for the relevant documentation). It should be filled with the contents found in wikipedia:MediaWiki:Common.css. If an admin would like to fix this up, that would be great. -- 李博杰 | —Talk contribs 10:27, 3 January 2012 (UTC)
The Massive Image Moving Project.
What are we doing with this? I think ( if they do not exist already ) a consensus be placed in using the pool or the wiki as well as a methodology to be established when doing these. ♥★♦ (talk) 00:26, 26 March 2013 (UTC)