Vertical Danmaku Shooting Game
Single-Player Story Mode
The game features 56 ability cards that can either be equipped before starting a playthrough (with some exceptions), or bought at a shop menu after each stage. While only a few are initially available to be equipped in advance, others can be unlocked via successive playthroughs.
There are four subcategories of ability cards:
- Active cards can be used at will with the C key (and switched between with the D key, if several are equipped at once). Most active cards have cooldowns which prevent them from being reused until enough time has passed.
- Equipment cards give the player extra options which fire additional shots or erase enemy bullets they come in contact with.
- Passive cards give the player miscellaneous gameplay perks, such as increased shot or spell power or the ability to gain resources under certain circumstances.
- Item cards serve to increase the player's money, power, or resources when purchased or collected from enemies that drop them. Item cards cannot be equipped by default.
This game is described as a poppy, rainbow-colored shooting game with a refreshing atmosphere.
The story revolves around the circulation of mysterious cards, which seem to contain the secrets of various humans and youkai.
Unconnected Marketeers was first announced on Touhou Yomoyama News on February 27, 2021, along with information about the characters and story, and several in-development screenshots. It officially released on May 4th, 2021 on Steam, a departure from its usual physical release at the summer Comiket event, due to the international COVID-19 crisis. It is the first ever whole-numbered Touhou Project game, including PC-98 games, not to be released at a Comiket event.
Freebie for Participants of Comic1 BS Festival Special
Those that bought the game at the doujin event Comic1 BS Festival Special in May 2021 received a special ability card featuring Chimata Tenkyuu and ZUN's signature.
|Chimata's Participation Certificate for Free Market
With this card, you will have fun buying and selling in the market and will be able to participate in future markets.
In this era when online shopping is commonplace. Will face-to-face market transactions disappear?
No, unless humans are a collection of bits, we will never be satisfied with buying and selling without the permission of the god of the market.＊This card will be forcibly equipped after purchase.
- ZUN (February 27, 2021). "東方Project 第18弾 東方虹龍洞 〜 Unconnected Marketeers" (in 日本語).
- Kazuma Hashimoto (SiliconEra) (March 8, 2021). "Comiket 99 Postponed and Pushed Back to Winter 2021".