Undefined Fantastic Object/Translation
These pages contain the English transcript of Undefined Fantastic Object, for your reading pleasure.
The Japanese transcript has also been included in order to encourage fellow translators to chip in and make our translations more accurate and more useful.
- Prologue - The background story
- Extra Story - The background story for the extra stage
- Afterword - ZUN's afterword
- Music Comments - ZUN's music comments
Like most of the other Windows games, each of the difficulty levels has a special name and a short summary.
|For Sunday Shooters||Easy Mode||For humans with busy lives.|
|For Active Gamers||Normal Mode||For people who play this sort of game because they like it.|
|For Gensokyo Residents||Hard Mode||For people who don't fit in well with the real world.|
|For the Lost Race||Lunatic Mode||For people who insist they are chosen ones.|
|For Youkai Extermination Specialists||Extra Mode||For people who would never be afraid if they met a youkai.|
There are six stages in the full version of the game, plus one extra stage:
|Stage 1||春の湊に船の影||A Ship's Shadow at the Spring Harbor|
|Stage 2||雲に潜む一つ目の化生||The One-eyed Monster Lurking in the Clouds|
|Stage 3||高速の廃墟と巨人||The High-speed Ruins and the Giant|
|Stage 4||聖輦と不吉な船長||The Unfortunate Captain of the Holy Palanquin|
|Stage 5||魔界の赤黒い封印||The Red and Black Seal of Makai|
|Stage 6||八苦を滅した尼公||The Nun Who Overcame the Eight Sufferings|
|Extra Stage||未確認飛行幻想物体||Unidentified Flying Fantastic Object|
Each shot type in Undefined Fantastic Object has a description to add a bit of personality to it. The "attack types" are possibly an homage to other bullet hell games, which often use long strings of kanji to describe things like patterns and bosses.
- "Let's aim for the treasure ship and get rich quick!"
- Single-Point Concentrated Attack Stress Type
- "When you think of a treasure ship, you think of the seven gods of luck. And speaking of gods, it's my turn!"
- Holding your strongest needles, face straight ahead and challenge the skies head-on!
- Shot: Persuasion Needle (パスウェイジョンニードル)
- Spell Card: Wild Exorcism Dance (退魔符乱舞)
- "This is some youkai's doing again!"
- Anti-pattern Stress Super-Homing Type
- "I don't know if it's a treasure ship or what, but it's definitely the work of some youkai."
- As always, follow your intuition and take down any youkai that crosses your path!
- Shot: Homing Amulet (ホーミングアミュレット)
- Spell Card: Fantasy Seal (夢想封印)
- "If it's a treasure ship, there's gotta be treasure!"
- Infinite Pierce & Ordinary Attack Type
- "It's a treasure ship, so it's obviously loaded with treasure. You can't lie to me!"
- Challenge the skies with the light of this ultimate magic that has no peer!
- Shot: Illusion Laser (イリュージョンレーザー)
- Spell Card: Master Spark (マスタースパーク)
- "Whatever it is, I'm very interested in it."
- Super Attack Scope Stress Type
- "I saw it. There's no doubt there's something floating up in the sky. Time to head up there!"
- With your mighty omni-directional magic, overlook not even the most trivial thing, even if it's behind you!
- Shot: Super Short-Wave (スーパーショートウェーブ)
- Spell Card: Ultimate Short-Wave (アルティメットショートウェーブ)
- "I'll do as Lady Kanako says."
- Single-Point Concentrated & Homing Type
- "Lady Kanako is telling me to master youkai hunting too."
- Brace for danger with the divine power of a serpent that devours evil!
- Shot: Sky Serpent (スカイサーペント)
- Spell Card: Orochi from Ancient Times (神代大蛇)
- "I'll do as Lady Suwako says."
- High-Power & Wide-Scope Explosion Type
- "Lady Suwako seems to be sure that I'll find something good in the treasure ship."
- Challenge the mysterious floating object with the divine power of a frog that will defeat enemies even after death!
- Shot: Cobalt Spread (コバルトスプレッド)
- Spell Card: Wily Toad (手管の蟇蛙)
- "That weird snake-looking shape-shifting thing in the UFO got away!"
- Follow the UFO's trail!
- Reimu Type A: Holding your mightiest needle, face straight ahead and uncover the UFO's true form!
- Reimu Type B: Use your homing amulets to uncover the UFO's true form!
- Marisa Type A: With the light of your ultimate magic without peer, uncover the UFO's true form!
- Marisa Type B: Use your mighty omni-directional magic to uncover the UFO's true form!
- Sanae Type A: Uncover the UFO's true form with the divine power of a serpent that devours evil!
- Sanae Type B: Uncover the UFO's true form with the divine power of a frog that will defeat enemies even after it dies!
The English translation patch is available for download at Gensokyo.org. To use it, you need to be running version 1.00b.