User:Darkslime/Scarlet Devil Mansion
Scarlet Devil Mansion
The Scarlet Devil Mansion, as illustrated in Perfect Memento in Strict Sense.
The Scarlet Devil Mansion (紅魔館, Koumakan, also referred to as the Scarlet Manor or Scarlet Mansion) is a European-style mansion owned by Remilia Scarlet, located on a ridge on the edge of the Misty Lake.
The Scarlet Devil Mansion is the home of the Remilia Scarlet, the owner, her sister Flandre Scarlet, and her friend Patchouli Knowledge, along with various other servants. Because it is the home of vampires, the mansion has less windows than normal, and they are all scarlet-colored. Many rooms don't have windows at all. There is a clock tower on the roof, but its bell only rings at night. In addition, as noted by the player character in Embodiment of Scarlet Devil, it seems much larger on the inside than it looks on the outside. This is because of the head maid Sakuya Izayoi's ability to manipulate time and space.
The basement of the Scarlet Devil Mansion is home to a magical library, said to be the largest library in Gensokyo. However, since it's not open to the general public, it's not known what sort of books are in there. Patchouli Knowledge, a magician and youaki, lives there. Hieda no Akyuu suggests that there are very rare magic books, and there are also many books from the outside world. Certainly, unconfirmed to Hieda no Akyuu, at least some books are in Esperanto, some were written by Patchouli, and some are dangerous to even touch. Remilia created a swimming pool in the library after the events of Silent Sinner in Blue, but this is not intended to be a permanent fixture. In addition, Koakuma resides here and appears to serve Patchouli. It is unknown if she is the only "little devil" at the mansion or if there are others.
Also in the basement, though in a separate area than the library, is where Flandre Scarlet resides.
Events are quite commonly held at the mansion, but as there is usually no previous notice of them, the residents are the only ones that attend. Various events are depicted in Strange and Bright Nature Deity, and it seems that Marisa Kirisame is a frequent visitor.
The main servants of the Scarlet Devil Mansion are Sakuya Izayoi, the head maid, and Hong Meiling, the gatekeeper. Sakuya oversees many fairy maids in the maintenance of the mansion. The maids don't appear to be very useful, however, since they are just fairies. According to an advertisement in Bohemian Archive in Japanese Red (Cirno's interview), maids are provided with three meals a day and uniforms, but no paid vacations, breaks, or afternoon naps. However, unofficially (in terms of the Scarlet Devil Mansion's policies), the fairy maids are free to do as they please. The advert shows the mansion is open to hiring other beings as maids, and Sakuya has indicated in the vampire team ending in Imperishable Night that if she were to train a successor, it would be human, but currently Sakuya is the only human maid at the mansion. The maids are free to leave and return to regain their posts, but despite the fickle nature of the mistress, their lives are comfortable and most end up staying.
Hong Meiling, while she acts as the gatekeeper, is rather lazy, and is frequently overpowered by other characters. Among other things, she is known to take afternoon "siestas" and read manga.
It is unknown when, how, or why the Scarlet Devil Mansion was originally constructed, but Remilia has been its mistress for about 500 years, and Flandre has been in the basement for about 495 years. The library in the basement was originally constructed for Patchouli's private use at an unknown time.
It is called the Scarlet Devil Mansion because Remilia was called the Scarlet Devil before she came to Gensokyo. It is unknown what the mansion was called before Remilia came to be its mistress, or if the mansion even existed before then.
The Scarlet Devil Mansion apparently hasn't existed in Gensokyo for too long due to having originally been located in the outside world. Aya Shameimaru implies that some kind of event probably occurred which brought it to Gensokyo. Given the power of its mistress, it may have come to Gensokyo by fate, as several descriptions of the mansion include a comment that the mansion feels like it was meant to belong there. It seems safe to assume it entered Gensokyo along with its mistress, but this is not confirmed. The Scarlet Devil Mansion was in Gensokyo at least as early as 1998. Whether or not its mistress was the vampire that went on a rampage in the Vampire Incident, the mansion itself only become famous to humans in Gensokyo after the events of Embodiment of Scarlet Devil in 2003, although at least some youkai likely knew of its existence before then.
- Embodiment of Scarlet Devil
The mansion was the center of the main events of Embodiment of Scarlet Devil, when Remilia Scarlet covered Gensokyo with a scarlet mist in order to make it darker. The player travels first through the library, then into the mansion proper, and finally onto the rooftop. It is this incident that made the mansion well-known to humans.
- Silent Sinner in Blue
As part of Remilia's plot to fly to the Moon in a rocket ship, the mansion holds a publicity event during Silent Sinner in Blue to promote it, inviting pretty much everyone from the main cast of characters.
- Strange and Bright Nature Deity
The Scarlet Devil Mansion is also a prominent location in some chapters of Strange and Bright Nature Deity.
- Patchouli's library is often called "Voile" based on its stage theme. However, due to an official list of errata published for Eastern and Little Nature Deity correcting the name of Patchouli's library from "Voile, the Magic Library" (ヴワル図書館) to "a library inside the Scarlet Devil Mansion" (紅魔館内の図書館), the name "Voile" is not considered canon.
- Due to this, in the Japanese community, the term has become a common litmus test for detecting "secondaries".
- EoSD: Marisa A ending
- IaMP: Patchouli ending
- IaMP: Sakuya's ending. Books also attack the player in Embodiment of Scarlet Devil
- CoLA: Chapter 8
- Perfect Memento in Strict Sense: Sakuya Izayoi
- WaHH: Chapter 14
- EoSD: Remilia's Profile
- EoSD: Reimu's Extra Stage dialogue
- SWR: Alice's Scenario (if Alice loses to Sakuya)
- PMiSS: Patchouli Knowledge
- BAiJR: Scarlet Devil Mansion
- PCB: Sakuya's profile
- IN: Prologue
- SDV: A Beautiful Flower Blooming Violet Every Sixty Years
- Changeability of Strange Dream: Story
- BAiJR: Lunasa Prismriver
- PMiSS Remilia Scarlet
- Ichijinsha Webpage - the list of errata (Eastern and Little Nature Deity)
- 2002/08/11 - Embodiment of Scarlet Devil
- 2003/08/17 - Perfect Cherry Blossom
- 2004/08/15 - Imperishable Night
- 2004/12/30 - Immaterial and Missing Power
- 2004/12/30 - Seasonal Dream Vision
- 2005/08/11 - Bohemian Archive in Japanese Red
- 2005/10/01 - Seasonal Dream Vision
- 2006/12/27 - Perfect Memento in Strict Sense
- 2008/05/25 - Scarlet Weather Rhapsody
- 2009/03/25 - Cage in Lunatic Runagate - Chapter 8
- 2012/12/10 - Wild and Horned Hermit - Chapter 10