Yukkuri shiteitte ne!
_,,....,,_ ＿人人人人人人人人人人人人人人人＿ -''":::::::::::::｀''＞ ゆっくりしていってね！！！ ＜ ヽ:::::::::::::::::::::￣^Ｙ^Ｙ^Ｙ^Ｙ^Ｙ^Ｙ^Ｙ^Ｙ^Ｙ^Ｙ^Ｙ^Ｙ^Ｙ^Ｙ^￣ |::::::;ノ´￣＼:::::::::::＼_,. -‐ｧ ＿_ _____ ＿_____ |::::ﾉ ヽ､ヽr-r'"´ （.__ ,´ _,, '-´￣￣｀-ゝ 、_ イ、 _,.!イ_ _,.ﾍｰｧ'二ﾊ二ヽ､へ,_7 'r ´ ヽ、ﾝ、 ::::::rｰ''7ｺ-‐'"´ ; ', ｀ヽ/｀7 ,'＝=─- -─=＝', i r-'ｧ'"´/ /! ﾊ ハ ! iヾ_ﾉ i ｲ iゝ、ｲ人レ／_ルヽｲ i | !イ´ ,' | /__,.!/ V ､!__ﾊ ,' ,ゝ ﾚﾘｲi (ﾋ_] ﾋ_ﾝ ).| .|、i .|| `! !/ﾚi' (ﾋ_] ﾋ_ﾝ ﾚ'i ﾉ !Y!"" ,＿__, "" 「 !ﾉ i | ,' ﾉ !'" ,＿__, "' i .ﾚ' L.',. ヽ _ﾝ L」 ﾉ| .| （ ,ﾊ ヽ _ﾝ 人! | ||ヽ、 ,ｲ| ||ｲ| / ,.ﾍ,）､ ）＞,､ _____, ,.イ ハ レ ル｀ ー--─ ´ルﾚ ﾚ´
The original "Yukkuri shiteitte ne!!!" Shift JIS art.
Yukkuri shiteitte ne!!! (ゆっくりしていってね！！！, often translated as "You should be taking it easy!!!" or "Take it easy") is a very common meme amongst the Touhou Project fandom which involve giant, disfigured heads resembling Touhou characters often called "Yukkuri(s)". It can be traced back to Shift JIS art of Reimu Hakurei's outfit in Curiosities of Lotus Asia that was posted to 2channel's "Touhou Series General Thread" on December 5, 2003. The artwork was later edited and rendered to a head, which someone increased the size of on April 18, 2004, but it wasn't really noticed until somebody started posting the artwork in Shitaraba's Immaterial and Missing Power threads on May 28, 2007. Of course, the head was made fun of, but a few weeks later, people started making edits or variations of the text-based head. It's known what the Marisa head is based off of, but it's unclear when the two Shift JIS art was combined or where the "Yukkuri shiteitte ne!!!" phase was appended to the heads.
Since its origin, yukkuris have dominated parts of NicoNico and made cameos in numerous other pieces of the Touhou fandom. Their catchphrase "Yukkuri shiteitte ne!!!" (ゆっくりしていってね！！！) literally means "Do it slowly!" but it's more loosely translated as "Take it easy!" by the English-speaking Touhou community, and possibly originates from Reimu Hakurei's numerous uses of the phrase in Extra of the Wind from Bohemian Archive in Japanese Red. This remains the basis for many of the jokes centered on yukkuris.
Since then, writers and artists in Japan have produced a huge amount of yukkuri material, implement them into the Gensokyo setting and making an entire ecosystem with detailed behaviour and anatomical structure based on their various forms (although those are subject to popular opinion). Even ZUN appears to have made a small official acknowledgement of the yukkuri phenomenon, with a line of narration reading "The rocket has been destroyed!! This is no time to be taking it easy!!" in Silent Sinner in Blue Chapter 12.
From what has been gathered through comic shorts and translations, mostly from anonymous contributors on 4chan's /jp/ image board, this is a peek at the yukkuri world. Additionally, Touhou characters are sometimes depicted in fanart holding Yukkuri as pets; one artist even describes how to take care of one. In doujinshi, Reimu and Marisa-type yukkuris are most commonly depicted, although others have drawn other Touhou characters, and even non-Touhou characters as yukkuri. Alice-types yukkuri, are most commonly depicted as serial rapists.
It's become so popular that the phrase "Yukkuri shite itte ne!!!" won bronze for 2008's "Net Slang of the Year" in Japan. Yukkuris also appear in Internet advertisements, the anime Natsu no Arashi! and Pani Poni Dash!, and most notably (but formally), the front page of 2ch, the largest Internet forum in the world; these are classed as references to Touhou.
There's even groups of communities who dislike the idea of yukkuris living in Gensokyo, or even hatred to them entirely. Some believe it's due their constant abused in fanworks, some believe they're useless in all means (especially when they're seen as humanless heads) and some believe they're simply uninteresting. However, some haters like to see yukkuris get hurt in fanworks.
Please note that some information on the rest of the article about this meme may be inaccurate, or up to interpretation by multiple individuals or are personal beliefs. If the information is actually different than what you know, then feel free to change it to what it supposed to be, otherwise, leave the entry be. Since yukkuris are entirely a fan creation, there's no standardisation of a one-man's work exist as almost nothing within the meme is official and is pure fandom from fandom sources.
This is not a definitive or solid guide to yukkuri, as the fandom is made up of many different artists and authors. This means that, unlike real Touhou characters, many artists often make their own facts and rules as each one has their own view on their properties and behaviour. There are multiple properties and interpretation of everything. For example, many artists ignore the supposed filling of yukkuris. An example are Reimu-types; they're supposedly sweet buns, but many draw them being eaten as savoury foods.
Please do not submit your own fanmade yukkuri. If there aren't any known fanmade sources of other Touhou yukkuris anywhere (See Subspecies), don't add them.
Also, the readable content here may be NSFW.
Yukkuris, named after their catchphrase, are creatures that appeared in Gensokyo one day. Nobody knows why or how. They're grossly misshapen heads with exaggerated facial expressions that bear striking similarities to Touhou characters, constantly telling people to "take it easy". There's a yukkuri for nearly every Touhou character, each with its own quirk and personality. However, all the yukkuris are incredibly stupid, so the quirks and personalities just end up as jokes rather than anything that even vaguely commands respect.
The yukkuri population in Gensokyo has climbed exponentially since their introduction. They're seen as pets, livestock, food, beanbag chairs, pests, and/or targets by the people of Gensokyo. The purpose of the yukkuris remains a mystery and probably will forever, so the best course of action would be to sit back, relax, and take it easy.
- They consist of a grossly exaggerated head with hair and head accessories.
- Normal ones are about the size and weight of a basketball. However, they can grow to much larger sizes. There are also fat ones which look similar to normal ones, but are slightly bigger and more bloated. If a yukkuri is forced to eat too much food at once, it doesn't become a fat yukkuri but is instead stretched out and "filled" with so much food that bouncing can force bean paste out of its eyes or mouth.
- There seems to be no upper limit to a yukkuri's size. In theory, a yukkuri can become any size as long as it eats enough. However, it's unlikely to happen naturally, as a significant size increase would likely cripple the yukkuri or make it more noticeable to predators.
- They're filled with bean paste and therefore edible, which makes them a particular target of Yuyuko. Some variants have different fillings. For example, Remilia-types are meat buns.
- They have an outer layer of "skin" that's a bit less than an inch in thickness.
- Their teeth, hair, and accessories are identical to their human counterparts, but somehow turn into bean paste when eaten. It's theorized that they're "grown" with dead cells, much like the dermal layer on human skin.
- Their accessories will stay attached to them unless taken off by force.
- They breathe, eat, see, hear and move (by bouncing off the ground), yet, with the exception of their eyes, they have nothing resembling organs.
- They're extremely fragile. Severely injuring them is very easy. They seem to make up for it by having lots of stamina. A yukkuri can survive extreme amounts of trauma before dying. Examples include: having a large piece of its body bitten off, having most of its bean paste scooped out, getting all of its skin peeled off, getting impaled on a stick, etc.
- They don't have blood; instead, they bleed watery bean paste. Despite having no circulatory system, a yukkuri can get dizzy from being hung upside-down. They're also known to urinate and defecate bean paste.
- They're soluble in water, but only after prolonged exposure. All yukkuris are aware of this and will avoid rain when possible.
- Yukkuris are very elastic. However, stretching a yukkuri beyond a limit will render it unable to return to its normal shape, and stretching it even more will break it.
- They have a "crying moe", which causes people to abuse and bully them. Even good-natured humans can become sadists. This has a reverse effect on some humans (Sakuya Izayoi, Eirin Yagokoro and Reimu Hakurei are often portrayed as having a yukkuri and caring for it), and little or no effect on youkai. In theory, this could be their natural self-defense, a psychic manipulation field that's meant to stop things from wanting to hurt them, since they lack any physical ability to fight or flee from predators. Only, of course, it doesn't work.
- Some of them have miniaturized bodies. It's not known whether they're mutated Touhou characters or mutated yukkuris. Examples include: Remilia-types, Flandre-types, Reisen-types, Tewi-types, Shikieiki-types, and possibly others that have yet to be discovered. Mutated types are usually born as regular yukkuris and gain bodies after a certain amount of time. The exact amount of time is unknown; it varies from a few hours to days. Whether the growth is instantaneous or gradual and where they get their clothes are unknown. After gaining bodies, mutated yukkuris stop growing in size.
- Yukkuris are able to regenerate from almost any physical injury as long as they're alive and provided with food (sugar is especially good), but they can still die. Mutant-type yukkuris have an upgraded healing factor. They're somehow able to regenerate without consuming additional mass and do so in a much shorter time frame. Eating a yukkuri whole is one way to counter their restorative abilities, and death is permanent.
- Despite their physical regenerative capabilities and short memory, it's possible to scar a yukkuri emotionally. Depending on the method used, a yukkuri may become catatonic, insane, psychotic, murderous, and/or dead.
- Yukkuris demonstrate great stamina when under stress and danger.
- A yukkuri’s main goal in life is to "take it easy". It holds this above all other needs. It's easy to gain a yukkuri's trust under the pretense of taking it easy. There are variants of "take it easy"; for example, Chen-types "get it".
- They may form "families". These families may be made of one or two species of yukkuris (e.g. Reimu-types and Marisa-types) and the oldest (and therefore biggest) one is the "mother" of the smallest ones (whether they really are its Koyukkuris or not)
- They're in some cases incredibly selfish. They can and will attack and eat each other in dangerous or stressful situations.
- The other needs and goals of a yukkuri are (in order of descending importance): food, a home, companionship, and reproduction.
- They constantly demand food, particularly sweets, from anybody and everybody.
- Particularly selfish or stupid wild ones will often try to annex human homes. They'll claim that the house belongs to them, and that the human should leave. This can be circumvented by asking permission from the yukkuris to take it easy with them and then the human can promptly eliminate the would-be invaders without suspicion.
- Leaving a yukkuri in your house by itself will result in messed up pots and pans and an empty pantry. They may also let other wild yukkuris inside.
- They always travel in pairs or groups. Villages of dozens of yukkuris are common. If they're left alone for too long, they'll die of loneliness. Predator-type yukkuris such as Flandre-types and Remilia-types seem to lack this weakness.
- The yukkuri social hierarchy is dependent on size. Bigger yukkuris have more gravitas and are seen as mothers/matriarchs by other yukkuris.
- The most important possession of any yukkuri is their accessory. Losing it prevents them from taking it easy and leaves them in a near catatonic state. They'll go through any means to regain their accessory, not limited to stealing from other yukkuris. Therefore, accessory-less yukkuris are usually shunned by others. The act of stealing an accessory isn't looked down upon, unless the accessory is stolen from a dead yukkuri. Stealing from a dead yukkuri is taboo and will result in the culprit being hunted down by its peers. Some types of yukkuri have no accesories at all by default (e.g. Kaguya-types). It's unknown how these types fit in yukkuri society
- In most stories intelligence and reasoning ability are virtually non-existent. However, it's possible to train a yukkuri, but the process is long, tedious, and slow. Yukkuris that are domesticated by humans tend to be much more intelligent than their wild kin. Some yukkuris are even more idiotic than the others, namely Remilia-types.
- Their memory capacities are incredibly small; a yukkuri is incredibly forgetful. If you bully one, there’s a good chance it’ll forget about it within a few hours. There are examples where a single yukkuri eats its family and/or friends and then forgets about it.
- Their limited memory does have the benefit of aiding their social structure. Groups of yukkuris will think that they’ve been together forever since they can’t remember anything before the group was formed.
- They have the ability to speak, but are limited to childish phrases. Their vocabularies are surprisingly large and disproportionate to their intelligence.
- In addition to their catchphrase, yukkuris will often yell out their state of mind. Their statements include "Refreshed!" "Joy", and other non-sequiturs that reflect their mood. They'll also shout out rudimentary and nonsensical phrases such as "It feels like I'm running in the plains!" when they're engaged in an activity (running in the example).
- If a yukkuri becomes hungry or horny, it'll eat/ravish other yukkuris, promptly forget it did so, and blame the nearest living being. Shaking a yukkuri causes it to become horny.
- They all have an innate knowledge of several facts. For example, all yukkuris fear the "factory", which is described as a place where they can never take it easy.
- Old yukkuris experience a change in personality. They become extremely sarcastic and frustrating to deal with. Upon being told that you'll, e.g., catch them, they'll answer "He says he's going to catch me. Ooh, scary, scary."
- They retaliate against aggressors through tackling and goring. A common warning sign is a shout of "Stop or I'll get angry." However, due to their extremely low speed, soft bodies, and low mass, the attacks are nothing but nuisances (however, there are reports of yukkuris injuring humans by biting). The best counter is to simply step on them. Some yukkuris have different defense mechanisms. For example, Iku-types are able to shoot lightning, making them a threat to yukkuri and human alike.
- When angered, yukkuris will inflate themselves, greatly increasing their volume. However, the defense mechanism is effectively useless.
- Crying, injured, or infant yukkuris tend to slur their speech by adding dakuten (゛) to every hiragana character, e.g. "Yukkuri shiteitte ne!!!" becomes "Yugguri jideidde ne!!!" In English translations, it works similarly, like "Take it easy!" becoming "Dage id eajy."
- Among types, the yukkuris can be divided into "good" and "bad" ones. For instance, a "good" Yukkureimu is very kind and a good mother, while a "bad" one is lazy and selfish, to the point of not caring about its young. A "good" Yukkurisa is honest and self-sacrificing, while a "bad" one is violent and will gladly betray its friends to save its life. A "good" Alice is haughty but kind and smart, while a "bad" one is a serial rapist.
- Yukkuris will refer to people they (usually) don't know as "mister" or "lady." This extends to just about everything, leading to phrases such as "mister butterfly" or "mister flower".
- They sometimes talk in third person, e.g. "Reimu's babies are moving!"
- Yukkuris are hermaphroditic and have a single organ which functions as both penis and birth canal. When it's convex, it's referred to as a penipeni, and when it's concave, it's referred to as a mamumamu. The mamumamu is where the koyukkuris develop within their mother during a mammalian-type pregnancy.
- Their offspring are called koyukkuris. Koyukkuris are easily distinguished from regular yukkuris by their small size and different facial features. However, their personalities and behavior are identical to their parents.
- Koyukkuris are defenseless and extremely dependent on their parents. However, yukkuri parents can be very irresponsible and incompetent. A mother will often accidentally leave behind or kill its children. Due to the mother's stupidity, it's possible to feed its own children to it. The mother won't notice unless it's told that it ate its children, a fact that it'll probably forget in a few hours. The children are largely the same; they can easily forget their mother's identity and be manipulated to attack and eat their mother.
- Koyukkuris can be born prematurely. They look like melting blobs with yukkuri features.
- Several stories depict Koyukkuris from stalk birth dying if they don't land on a sufficiently soft surface.
Asexual reproduction theories
- They may undergo a process similar to mitosis where one splits in half and the halves become individual yukkuris.
- They may produce children when they die. New yukkuris will crawl out of the remains of a dead one. The Wriggle-type is confirmed to reproduce by this method.
- In both methods of asexual reproduction, the children are identical to their parents.
Sexual reproduction theories
- In sexual reproduction, one yukkuri will rub against and hump another. Mating between yukkuris isn't always consensual, nor does it need to be. Alice-types are prolific rapists.
- Yukkuri mating is extremely pleasurable for all the participants (unless it's non-consensual) and involves a certain degree of skill. Yukkuris that lack sexual experience and proficiency may be discriminated against or attacked by their partners or other yukkuris. The yukkuri equivalent to orgasm is feeling "refreshed".
- The yukkuri on the bottom will become pregnant. Pregnancy may manifest in several ways.
- The first and most widely accepted method is that the pregnant yukkuri sprouts a tendril from its body. On the tendril are several undeveloped koyukkuris that'll fall off the branch after development, a very fast process that only takes several hours.
- The second method strongly resembles mammalian methods. The mother will spit out with certain strength a single smaller, but mature yukkuri thru a birth canal, referred to as a mamumamu located below it's mouth. The process can be described as "terrifying". If the yukkuri ejects its koyukkuri at too steep an angle, the terminal velocity will be enough to kill the koyukkuri when it hits the ground. Also, scaring the yukkuri moments before the koyukkuri is expelled will instantly close the birthing channel, killing the koyukkuri.
- Sexual reproduction results in offspring that are identical to either the mother or "father" yukkuri. However, a yukkuri that's had intercourse with an Alice-type will only give birth to more Alice-types.
- Injecting the filling of one yukkuri type into another type may or may not lead to the injected yukkuri dying and producing a tendril with koyukkuris of both types. So far, this has only been confirmed by injecting a Remilia-type with a Yukkureimu's bean paste.
- It's possible to sprout more than one tendril at a time. This can occur from either multiple bouts of mating or multiple partners during mating. The result can be deadly to the mother as the tendrils will leech the mother’s mass to feed the children.
- The third method of sexual reproduction has the mother inflating to many times its original size. This process takes a large amount of resources and time. When the mother is ready, it'll burst, spitting out dozens of koyukkuris at once and returning the mother to its original size. This method is also not without risks. If the mother is allowed to grow too large, the birthing process will kill it.
- In one other case, a transfusion from a Yukkureimu to a near-death Yukkurisa didn't result in pregnancy. It might be due to a badly damaged yukkuri won't go into pregnancy mode, or thanks to both of them being filled with the same material (bean paste), it didn't trigger Yukkurisa's body's reaction, or perhaps the bean paste was somehow treated by Reimu (the Miko) to prevent that. Alternatively, the author hasn't heard of or choose to ignore this bit of fanon.
A list of yukkuris known, along with full information about the specific yukkuri in alphabetical order. They're placed into a sub-article as it's too large to fit here. Reimu-types and Marisa-types at shown below since they're the ones most commonly found and are the only ones that has a main articles since they're the most common yukkuris and that they have extended information.
|Reimu-types (ゆっくれいむ Yukkureimu) often use similes and analogies in speech. They’re generally very carefree and naive.||Red bean paste||"Take it easy!"|
|Marisa-types (ゆっくりさ Yukkurisa) have a hidden sadistic personality that causes them to torture and murder their fellow yukkuris with incredibly elaborate traps and machines. "Just as easy'd". They can use their hats as rafts if they need to pass through water. They can also use them as lifeboats if they suddenly find themselves in deep water (for example, during flash floods).||Black bean paste|
- Fear and despair makes a yukkuri’s bean paste sweeter. Conversely, emotionally dead yukkuris taste bad. Koyukkuris are slightly sour.
- Anything they eat will be converted into bean paste.
- Yukkuris can survive by being fed only orange juice, but they'll not grow larger this way.
- A yukkuri’s accessory is present from birth and grows in size with the yukkuri.
- Putting a yukkuri on your head turns you into a yukkuri. Luckily, the process is perfectly safe and reversible by tearing the yukkuri apart, revealing the person inside.
- Putting your hand over a yukkuri's eyes will make it think it's night.
- It’s possible to fuse a yukkuri with a plant, so that the yukkuri only requires sunlight and water to live.
- Stealing a yukkuri’s accessory will cause every yukkuri in the world to chase you.
- Red yukkuris take it easy three times faster and taste hot. For this reason, they tend to call themselves "Triple X", where X is the species they belong to. Due to their rare traits, red yukkuris are ostracized by regular yukkuris. They speak, run, and generally do everything extremely fast—three times faster. They can also reproduce (three times faster) other yukkuris, and are capable of reaching 10 times the speed of the regular yukkuris when angered. Unlike regular yukkuris, red ones are very loyal and obedient. They're also very selfless and will often try to help their friends by various means. It's unknown if these yukkuris are artificially created (by the factory, for example) or a natural mutation.
- Yukkuris with green filling (the result of a lifetime of eating vegetables) are natural farmers and will grow their own food. They're also far less gluttonous than other yukkuris, and are eager to get along with humans.
- Even the simplest traps (a box) are too much for a yukkuri to escape.
- There's a way to make a yukkuri drink. Start by placing a koyukkuri in a bottle. It'll just opt to take it easy in the bottle as long as it's fed. Wait until it grows to fill the entire bottle and complains that it can't take it easy. When it does, pop the yukkuri and drink the bean paste.
- The factory, which the yukkuris are deathly afraid of, actually exists. Humans can buy, sell, and trade yukkuris there. The factory has a breeding program to exploit and mass-produce the unique yukkuris that it finds, which explains why they fear the 'Factory'.
- A society known by the name "Bullying Onii-sans" or "Bullying Sisters" has been created by and for aficionados of yukkuri bullying. The only thing necessary to enroll is the desire to bully yukkuris. Hieda no Akyuu may belong to this organization, as she's usually portrayed killing yukkuris.
- In the fangame Touhou Koubutou, it's possible to kill the Yukkureimu in about five seconds.
- Yukkuri Booru - Specialized yukkuri image archive
- Yukkuri Matome Wiki - A repository for Shift_JIS Yukkuri art (Japanese)
- Yukkuri Wiki - Extensive wiki, with detailed information on Yukkuris